Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Man...This used to be a happenin' place...Where did everybody go?

I remember back in early 2000-2006 this was one of the hottest forums around here.

Now...this is deadsville.

What happened to the Registry Forum? Where is everyone. Why doesn't anyone post here anymore?

Hello...Anybody out there?

edited title

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Ernie,
    This forum is a place where Set Registry participants and other coin participants can create threads and respond to threads which will be read by those of us who are interested in the subject. The coin forum has so many new threads each day that it is doubtful that many readers get to look at some of the lesser replied to threads that wind up on page 3 or beyond. The pace is slower here, but the content can be much better because of the people who post here. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Geez, you don't have to rub it in. I can see the bottom of SonoranMonsoon's shoes from here, since he has trampled all over my sets. image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...this was one of the hottest forums around... >>

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's still plenty of registry sets in progress being built. I guess no one tries to build #1 sets anymore as the coins needed are generally all locked up. >>

It depends on the series you collect. On the all time list I am competing with the likes of Eliasberg, Bass and Brand for lack of other interested collectors. Some great collections in my series don't bother to enter the registry. The three I noted are not apt to post much.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think anybody on the registry forum ever posted much about Liberty Quarter Eagle varieties (although that certainly would have been cool!). >>

I have to agree with you on that

Like you said, there used to be a great deal of discussion about our sets, where we wanted to go with them, what we were looking to do next, etc.
    We used to show pics of our entries and make snide remarks to each other about trying to snipe our spots, taunt others into making new moves and new ventures, all kinds of stuff. There was never a lack of something to to read or talk about, and it was a lot of fun to lurk.

Now it's hard to even get a rise out of anyone, or even get their attention.

I posted this 4 days ago and in that 4 days, a grand total of 4 members have commented, and my sale thread has moved down a total of 6 places, 2 of which were my own ne threads.

Again I say, where is everyone?

At least I reconnected with an old forum buddy after 4 years. image

Let's get this party started!...

Cheers !

typing again image
  • Options
    I'm starting to back into submissions, and taking lousy images. I can't even see the tail of the 100th set for most of the ones I added for posting images. Just don't have the time to post a lot because of the new job. I can't wait for summer to get here.

David
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Like everything else, the hobby has some cyclicality. Given the recession, many collectors take a break because they don't have the extra income. This creates great opportunities as prices soften. Example, several of the MPLs were reduced in the price guide this week. I can understand the '13s and '14s as they are the most common (relatively) but the '16 MPL in 65RB was just reduced by $1500. This is the 2nd rarest coin in the set and finding them nice in gem grade is very difficult. I'd take as many nice ones at that price that I could get my hands on.

All the nice coins are not locked up. They are out there and you just have to find them. Top pops are "made" all the time. We see the posts almost daily....
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    While many are priced out of competition in the highly visible sets, maybe there will be a resurgence (uhh "surgence" perhaps) in some of the more affordable series, OR, a whole new group of sets could be created.

You all know your series and could probably think of good short sets, or doable sets. And just like adding + grading created a tremendous amount of new market value in coins overnight, so could new registries.

I'm probably just dreaming but I've thought about this a lot. If PCGS were strategic, they could create a new registry buzz with sets like:

"Brown Lincolns"
    "Red-Brown Lincolns" (creating a colorless set did not work perfectly because guys with red coins still dominate because they grade numerically higher than RB and Brown Coins and are much more plentiful"
    "Roosevelts - The Double Mint Set Years 47-58' "
    "Washington Quarter - The Double Mint Set Years" ( many could afford a set going ten years but couldn't afford a 32 year range)
    etc

I was just thinking....
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm probably just dreaming but I've thought about this a lot. If PCGS were strategic, they could create a new registry buzz with sets like: >>

You should send your thoughts to B.J. Searls <BSearls@collectors.com>

She just might be able to do something about it.

Cheers !
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, you don't have to rub it in. I can see the bottom of SonoranMonsoon's shoes from here, since he has trampled all over my sets. image >>

My appologies, I did get a bit carried away last year. I will try to tread more lightly in the future. image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this forum had a lot of activity in the 2000-2005 era. I assembled sets of silver Washington quarters and Mercury dimes (among others) during those years. Participants would post when they acquired particularly nice coins for their sets, and often included photos, whick made it more interesting. Other participants would congratulate them and comment on the new purchases. It was a bit of an ego boost, and an incentive to continue with sets. IMO, 2 things that have contributed to the decline in posting here are the creation of so many overlapping sets, and the big money that entered the program and made those who were not so well-heeled feel that they could not compete. The registry and this forum became victims of their own success.

Another factor is the proliferation of expensive Mint issues. It has drawn a lot of money away from sets of earlier types of coins. I can't get very enthused about creating a registry set of Eagles or First Spouse coins when most of them are MS/PR 69 or 70. They may be good investments, but who cares about having a set that's tied with dozens/hundreds of others? Not me.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I collect proof Roosies and Ike's. Ike's, unless I step up and buy a $3k+ coin, which I would love to have a 1978 as its also a date set, I'm pretty much done there. Roosies, I upgrade here and there as they are always on ebay, especially 1977 and up. I'm just picky on price. It's 1964 and before that I'm having a hard time finding. They are either crazy priced or locked up someplace. I did get a nice 1950 PR65 rattler the other day that looks cameo but I think I'll keep it in the holder as I like the look of it.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>My appologies, I did get a bit carried away last year. I will try to tread more lightly in the future. image >>

Don't sweat it sonoranmonsoon, that is what we are here for, a little freindly competition. We need a little kick in the pants once in a while. The only problem is, I don't have the funding to do it right now. But wait, someday, God willing, you may get another look at the bottom of my shoes. image

<< <i>Yes, this forum had a lot of activity in the 2000-2005 era. I assembled sets of silver Washington quarters and Mercury dimes (among others) during those years. Participants would post when they acquired particularly nice coins for their sets, and often included photos, whick made it more interesting. Other participants would congratulate them and comment on the new purchases. It was a bit of an ego boost, and an incentive to continue with sets. >>

This is what I was talking about, and what I miss. We need to get this going again. Yeah, it is getting tougher to compete, especially with the economy being what it is, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with it. Hell, if anything, it means we have to try even harder to have fun. Everything these days is harder, so we just have to work at it. It will only take a few of us to get it going again and it looks like we might be off to a good, although slow, start. Let's keep it going. image

bestmr, PM me a list of your wants and I will let you know what I have. I've probably got at least one that you'll like.

Cheers !
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh the good old days !!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Ahhh the good old days !!!! >>

Yes, they were!!! image

I had lots of money, you had lots of customers, the mint had lots of coins, the registry was quite active, and this forum was all abuzzzz. image

Cheers !

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is what will spice this place back up. A lot of the old spice
    was controversy and a little of this is good. I don't know the answer but
    I think I know the question. Can we get a forum that's more active without
    getting a lot of the things we don't want? Will people check in once in a while
    and post opinions.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I would like to give my opinion but I would be bannedimage
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to give my opinion but I would be banned >>

...but then we would really have something to talk about. image

Hey Mark, it looks like we are starting to get the old gang back together.

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    What gang is that and from what period? Pre PCGS politboro?
  • Options

<< <i>What gang is that and from what period? Pre PCGS politboro? >>

04-08 and Yes image

I, for one, bought a lot of States Quarters, Mint set coins, Proof set coins, etc form you, Michael, and Mitch, back then.
    The competition was pretty stiff in the SQs and the Mint sets.

• Options
    04-08 sounds about right. I remember the "dime" guys were posting a lot, but have not heard from them in a while. They had quite a competition going.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    good lord...
    i was one who stumbled in here...
    got caught up in mattyness...trashed my humble lil collection of everything it seemed and locked a focus on matte proof lincolns ....yup...right when they were having pricing issues
    "more like my issues is all"
    i'm back
    no true registry focus "per se" but miss the bantering with stooge best of all...that ol roosey dime collector
    of all things i got a whiff of a 1964 sms dime and trashed my mpl set over it
    ended-up holding it only...but my baby girl needed a car more then i needed that dime
    i promise myself not to get lost again but yeah...
    i missed ya'll
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Welcome back Teddy. image

Stick around and help me bring this group back to life.

Cheer !
  • Options
    what did the roosey gang meet the matty posse at the o.k. corral or something???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>what did the roosey gang meet the matty posse at the o.k. corral or something??? >>

That's funny image

I don't know. I know that onlyroosies and stooge are still around somewhere, but haven't seen them here lately.
  • Options
    yeah they would of crapped had i converted and based a roosey registry set starting with that 64 sms ms67 dime
    it's all good
    you got any new focus going on???
    i'm working on a candy toned coin set then i'll focus up again...type set registry seems most appealing compared to specialized

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I've been registered here since 2002. Knew of the forums almost from the beginning but never took the time, early on, to do much posting. And still don't that much. The Registry Forum was the hot spot. And the US Forum was where everyone went when they "moved on". I remember members (jokingly) being given a"key to the restroom" when they made the move. Seems like the US Forum has slowed a lot, too, in the last few years.

In the beginning, the Registry got a lot of collectors to present their sets to the public. A lot of sets, especially finest known, were built and sold. Those collectors don't post/contribute as much now. Many finest known sets were built and sold, some intact. And in some cases broken up. So there isn't as much to talk about... with regards to building a big set.

Coppercolor said... I'm probably just dreaming but I've thought about this a lot. If PCGS were strategic, they could create a new registry buzz with sets like:

"Brown Lincolns"
    "Red-Brown Lincolns" (creating a colorless set did not work perfectly because guys with red coins still dominate because they grade numerically higher than RB and Brown Coins and are much more plentiful"
    "Roosevelts - The Double Mint Set Years 47-58' "
    "Washington Quarter - The Double Mint Set Years" ( many could afford a set going ten years but couldn't afford a 32 year range)
    etc

I was just thinking....

I agree with adding sets that are outside the box. Collecting coins is whatever the individual collector likes. One example that comes to mind is the Everyman Set. Boy have the prices of AU58 coins gone up as a result. Whew! I think PCGS has done a great job accomidating collectors with the different sets available. I'm sure they would be open to additional suggestions.

With regards to Lincolns, or any copper, I would like to see PCGS add seperate RB and BN sets to the Registry. Rather than "colorless" (for Lincolns) that allows anything (color) to be added. Then you could build a set on "its" color merits, and it not be penalized.

I've changed my collecting direction after having completed several sets including a finest known Two Cent set and several Type Sets, to focus on Lincolns; a 1959-2008 set is one. I'm also looking at RB Lincolns 1933-1958. So I would welcome "segregated-color sets". Otherwise, a great RB or BN set could get buried in the ranks of a set that includes RD coins.

Just haven't contacted BJ with those thoughts yet.

Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no true registry focus "per se" but miss the bantering with stooge best of all...that ol roosey dime collector >>

<< <i>I know that onlyroosies and stooge are still around somewhere, but haven't seen them here lately. >>

I'm still here, but I went down the hall to PSA. I've been having fun collecting baseball cards. I've also been reading here, more intermittently than everyday.

I remember being on here posting daily, and going back and forth with Dimeman. I had years of good times on here, but after I sold my Roosies off, I lost my desire to collect any coins. I got burned out on it. PCGS was extremely hard on me with my grades and just didn't get any joy out of it any more. I sent in countless submissions and I would get maybe 1-2 decent grades if I was lucky. Basically I got tired of wasting my money.

Plus I got tired of reading 14 out of 20 MPL posts on here. image

Later, Paul.

P.S. I still have my picture!

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to give my opinion but I would be bannedimage >>

What he said!
    Mike--(2001 #1 PCGS MS Memorial Lincoln Registry Set Owner & 2007 #13 MS Memorial Lincoln Set Owner. Both Retired)
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take a look at a few things ...

1. Roosie dime guys ... mostly all gone. A number of the "big boys" took their coins over to NGC where (according to what I was told) they got nice 1 point upgrades on a lot of coins and MS67FB's worth $500 or $1000 suddenly became $2,500, $3,500, $4,500 each as NGC-MS68*FT coins. Can you hardly blame them for doing it? I hear the Roosie guys are very busy over at NGC, their NGC registry and chat boards. Many of JHF's former MS67FB dimes are now in NGC-MS68FB holders or MS67+ holders.

2. State quarters ... no designation mistakes much any more (i.e. SF vs. BS) ... that situation always got things stirred up over here. So, that is a good thing. But, the state quarter guys are pretty much gone. Very few top pops have being made for years at PCGS ... there is nothing much to talk about. Coins that were pop 1 or pop 2 roughly 5-7 years ago are still pop 1 or pop 2 today in most cases. You have the most dedicated "hunters" like MAS never quitting, despite some tough times at the grading factory. I tip my hat to the guy. When you have a great series like MS state quarters where virtually no coins are being "made" year after year and a couple of guys control most of the great coins, all the excitement of the series is sucked out (same thing happened to Jefferson nickels in my opinion). Very sad actually. I sold some PCGS-MS67 state quarters at auction last week and the coins netted less than $2 each. I let them sell ... I had held them for about 12 years. The $8 bulk grading fee and nice superb gem MS67 quarter inside the slab netted me $2/coin twelve years later. The result of a series in a "registry death spiral" due to no coins being made any more and no one caring very much (as a consequence) I believe.

3. Presidential dollars ... I don't even want to talk about what happened with the varieties... too depressing. The Pres $1 business strike coins are a great series just as the business strike state quarters are. But, again, it just was too difficult to make that great MS67 or MS68 coin. Inventories of undergrade MS66 coins flooded the producers inventories. I must still own thousands of them myself to this date (not to mention hoards of MS65's) ... the by product of the (often times unsuccessful) hunt for that top pop jewel or two. Like the Sacs, SBA's and Ikes before them, I personally think the future for the pop top business strike Pres $1 coins is bright. But, we will need to see new players stepping in to the series and that may take some time.

4. MS Kennedy Half Dollars, MS Memorial Cents, MS Clad dimes and quarters and modern Jeffs, etc. - Near impossible to grade any top pops from the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. A coin here and a coin there. Interestingly, this has just the opposite effect on prices as you might think. When a pop 1 Jefferson nickel or clad dime gets made, it sells for far less than it might otherwise if many different top pop coins were being slabbed regularly and participants were actively pursuing the coins.

5. PR70DC coins from the 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, etc. Being slabbed "hard" in the bulk submissions which picked up steam again in recent times. The complete opposite situation as business strike coins. You had a 2004-S PR70DC Cent hammer for $33 at auction 2 days ago. A 2011-S Jefferson Nickel in PCGS-PR70DCAM hammered at $6 recently. $9 for a 2010-S Roosie in PCGS-PR70DCAM. A 1997-S Washington Quarter in PCGS-PR70DCAM at $33. 1992-S, 1993-S & 1994-S Kennedy Half Dollars PR70DCAM @ $55 each. A 1980-S SBA $1 in PR70DCAM at $33. How about an Alabama State quarter in PCGS-PR70DCAM hammering at $9! A Chickasaw @ $12! A 2000-S Sac PR70DCAM at $70... this was a $3,000-$3,500/coin at one point (and incredibly difficult to grade out). I personally have a top 10 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar set ... I am just plucking out a handful of the neatest coins to tuck away for fun and I am selling off the other 90% of the coins in the set at whatever I can get for them at auction. I already did that with state quarter proofs as well. Any wonder why folks don't really want to talk about these collections much any more here on this board or elsewhere?

There are many booming areas of moderns where I have been having great fun these past few years (with great returns as well) and PCGS coins command the most money in the world in my opinion. Many of the areas are discussed regularly over on the US Coin Forum. But, I did want to honestly address the question of "where did everybody go" (over here) with a hard look at a number of the series that were very popular on this board a number of years ago. Comments?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    It is pretty quiet lately. Years ago, I can't remember when, I was big into Lincoln's and the forum was vibrant and alive. But life issues popped up and I had to sell my set and visited very rarely. Now, I'm back but have started a set of proof Roosevelt's and a couple date sets. I can see how people would go over to NGC. If they can get more money for the same coin, that's great. I'm not in it for the money and being that I collect proofs and ideally the highest grade I can afford, lose money. I just like my collection and want to complete it the best I can. But it's like Wondercoin said in my case. A lot of people got burned collecting modern proofs so they are very quiet and hesitant to get back in or stay in the game.
    I also believe, at least from a modern coin stand point, the mint has actually hurt the registries. Case in point, I, for one, like the satin finished coins. But there is no way I'd want to do a registry because of all the $$@# quarters and dollar coins. While they may have got people interested in coins, they turned me off from a collecting stand point.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    wondercoin, Thank you for your succinct, and detailed, explanation. image
    I had a feeling that was pretty much what was going on. I am one of the Modern Collectors that you described. I got all caught up in the States Quarters and the SAC dollars. For a long time, I was in the top 5 of both categories and even at the top for a while. I spent a great deal of time and money trying to get the very best. You, mas3387, datentype, and pinevalleycoins got a lot of my business.

I was one of the ones who paid $1850 for a 2000-S SAC Proof in PR70DC, which at the time was a steal. The value of that coin rose steadily until, as you mentioned, it reached about $3300 several years ago. Now it’s worth less than $200. Likewise with most of the other SACs, many of which at one time were worth three or four thousand dollars and now are under a thousand. There are only a couple left that still carry a high dollar, but no one is buying. I know, because I have them.

I don’t even want to get into the State Quarters I have lost so much there that it makes me ill.
    I can't seem to give them away. image

I agree with bestmr that the Mint, and PCGS, messed things up with the Satin Finish and BUs, and the ungodly number of varieties. For a couple of years the Registry sets would accept either/or. Because the Satin Finish coins were more readily available, that’s what I collected, and so did many others. Then PCGS changed the rules and made us separate them. Many collectors were happy with this decision, however, many of us did not have the funds to go back and replace all of the Satin Finish coins with the BU versions, especially since because of the change, suddenly the prices went up on all the BUs. So, I, and many others, gave up. PCGS has since rectified the situation by creating many different sets to fill all needs, but it was too little, too late for some of us.

They did the same thing with the SACs! So eventually; I gave up the game there, too.

There are so many different mint issues, and so many varieties of each of them, that you have to rich, or connected, to have any chance at putting together a top set these days. Even the old standard, the Silver Eagles, are now a game of varieties.

I agree with others here who say that it has become a game for the big money guys. The everyday, middle class collector does not stand a chance anymore, and even if they do manage to complete a set, one of the big guys will come along, put up a better set, and then sell it off, just to put their name at the top. Yes, I’m whining again. Sorry. image

Anyway, I have been sitting idle for a couple of years due to the economy, life, etc . Now I am forced to liquidate and thin out my collection. I have cut my collecting efforts down to a handful of sets that I will continue to work on, but have pulled a number of sets that just don’t make since to me anymore.

Hopefully, I will be able to continue having fun with this hobby, but admittedly, it is not as much fun as it used to be.

I wish to thank everyone for their comments and input and I sincerely hope that, someday, we can get back to the way it used to be.

Cheers !
  • Options

<< <i>Let's take a look at a few things ...

1. Roosie dime guys ... mostly all gone. A number of the "big boys" took their coins over to NGC where (according to what I was told) they got nice 1 point upgrades on a lot of coins and MS67FB's worth $500 or $1000 suddenly became $2,500, $3,500, $4,500 each as NGC-MS68*FT coins. Can you hardly blame them for doing it? I hear the Roosie guys are very busy over at NGC, their NGC registry and chat boards. Many of JHF's former MS67FB dimes are now in NGC-MS68FB holders or MS67+ holders.

2. State quarters ... no designation mistakes much any more (i.e. SF vs. BS) ... that situation always got things stirred up over here. So, that is a good thing. But, the state quarter guys are pretty much gone. Very few top pops have being made for years at PCGS ... there is nothing much to talk about. Coins that were pop 1 or pop 2 roughly 5-7 years ago are still pop 1 or pop 2 today in most cases. You have the most dedicated "hunters" like MAS never quitting, despite some tough times at the grading factory. I tip my hat to the guy. When you have a great series like MS state quarters where virtually no coins are being "made" year after year and a couple of guys control most of the great coins, all the excitement of the series is sucked out (same thing happened to Jefferson nickels in my opinion). Very sad actually. I sold some PCGS-MS67 state quarters at auction last week and the coins netted less than $2 each. I let them sell ... I had held them for about 12 years. The $8 bulk grading fee and nice superb gem MS67 quarter inside the slab netted me $2/coin twelve years later. The result of a series in a "registry death spiral" due to no coins being made any more and no one caring very much (as a consequence) I believe.

3. Presidential dollars ... I don't even want to talk about what happened with the varieties... too depressing. The Pres $1 business strike coins are a great series just as the business strike state quarters are. But, again, it just was too difficult to make that great MS67 or MS68 coin. Inventories of undergrade MS66 coins flooded the producers inventories. I must still own thousands of them myself to this date (not to mention hoards of MS65's) ... the by product of the (often times unsuccessful) hunt for that top pop jewel or two. Like the Sacs, SBA's and Ikes before them, I personally think the future for the pop top business strike Pres $1 coins is bright. But, we will need to see new players stepping in to the series and that may take some time.

4. MS Kennedy Half Dollars, MS Memorial Cents, MS Clad dimes and quarters and modern Jeffs, etc. - Near impossible to grade any top pops from the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. A coin here and a coin there. Interestingly, this has just the opposite effect on prices as you might think. When a pop 1 Jefferson nickel or clad dime gets made, it sells for far less than it might otherwise if many different top pop coins were being slabbed regularly and participants were actively pursuing the coins.

5. PR70DC coins from the 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, etc. Being slabbed "hard" in the bulk submissions which picked up steam again in recent times. The complete opposite situation as business strike coins. You had a 2004-S PR70DC Cent hammer for $33 at auction 2 days ago. A 2011-S Jefferson Nickel in PCGS-PR70DCAM hammered at $6 recently. $9 for a 2010-S Roosie in PCGS-PR70DCAM. A 1997-S Washington Quarter in PCGS-PR70DCAM at $33. 1992-S, 1993-S & 1994-S Kennedy Half Dollars PR70DCAM @ $55 each. A 1980-S SBA $1 in PR70DCAM at $33. How about an Alabama State quarter in PCGS-PR70DCAM hammering at $9! A Chickasaw @ $12! A 2000-S Sac PR70DCAM at $70... this was a $3,000-$3,500/coin at one point (and incredibly difficult to grade out). I personally have a top 10 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar set ... I am just plucking out a handful of the neatest coins to tuck away for fun and I am selling off the other 90% of the coins in the set at whatever I can get for them at auction. I already did that with state quarter proofs as well. Any wonder why folks don't really want to talk about these collections much any more here on this board or elsewhere?

There are many booming areas of moderns where I have been having great fun these past few years (with great returns as well) and PCGS coins command the most money in the world in my opinion. Many of the areas are discussed regularly over on the US Coin Forum. But, I did want to honestly address the question of "where did everybody go" (over here) with a hard look at a number of the series that were very popular on this board a number of years ago. Comments?

Wondercoin >>

Pretty much hits it on the head.
    I got burned out but do intend on returning. I plan to make my next adventure more of color instead of grade. That way I have no one to compete against but myself..image
    Always like reading your words of wisdom, Mitch..

Bill
  • Options
    "P.S. I still have my picture!"
    lol...i still have that dust pan with roosey's collected here too written on it
    big question there stoogeness
    you need any "clothes pins" for those cards and your royce union when ya get tired of those...image
    good gawd i think of how many cards i toasted...but i sure sounded varooomy varooomed out with them on my forks

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I miss you guys, well I miss "some" of you guys. image
    Like Paul said, selling the heart of my set killed my thrill of the hunt. wait, killed may be to strong a way of expressing the feeling left in me.
    Deflated, the thought of starting over again left me feeling deflated, defeated and lost.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I miss you guys, well I miss "some" of you guys. image
    Like Paul said, selling the heart of my set killed my thrill of the hunt. wait, killed may be to strong a way of expressing the feeling left in me.
    Deflated, the thought of starting over again left me feeling deflated, defeated and lost. >>

This is exactly how I felt!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, my name is DMWJR, and I'm an addict. image

Doug
  • Options
    IMO Lincoln Pennies still sux! especially thos matte proof ones! Give me a Roosie Dime anyday! image

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I'm no biggot. I'm a free thinking liberal and I like them all.....way too much it seems. image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO Lincoln Pennies still sux! especially thos matte proof ones! Give me a Roosie Dime anyday! image

Paul. >>

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Ahh...the good ol' days are back! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's still plenty of registry sets in progress being built. I guess no one tries to build #1 sets anymore as the coins needed are generally all locked up. >>

I'm unlocking a few image

2008 PCGS #1 Presidential Dollar Set
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< There's still plenty of registry sets in progress being built. I guess no one tries to build #1 sets anymore as the coins needed are generally all locked up. >>

I'm unlocking a few >>

XXX

Is in the House image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< There's still plenty of registry sets in progress being built. I guess no one tries to build #1 sets anymore as the coins needed are generally all locked up. >>

I'm unlocking a few >>

XXX

Is in the House image >>

WHATS UP MICHAEL...... imageimageimage
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Some of us are still out here lurking -

As for me, I am still trying to improve my sets and look everyday for that "one" coin that might find its way to market!

If anyone has any high-grade 1965-1967 SMS coins or colorful matte proofs, let me know.

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    Oh the Days........

Hundreds of Mint Sets to go through at first release....

The phone calls to ALL of the Players......

Those were the days......

Now......We are on the fence as to what to keep and what to release....?

So, is this still the registry it used to be....?

I would like to think so.

Semper Fi. XXX (Walt)