Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I love the "Basic Set" Registries, but holy heck

are they filled with more holes then swiss cheese! :/
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options

Yeah I hear you. Sometimes I just scratch my head at some of the things that are in and are not in some of the sets that I work on.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    When PSA makes these sets, they use the cards that have been graded at that point. So, for example, if there was a John Doe set requested in 2005, and only a few different cards had been graded, then that set would only have those cards deemed basic. Over the next few years, if nobody requests any additions, then the set will still have only those cards. PSA only gets it started for you. If you see obvious gaps, and you have cert numbers that should be there, then by all means make the request to add to that set.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    If your missing cards are from one of these companies, should be easy for PSA to add:

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If your missing cards are from one of these companies, should be easy for PSA to add:

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL. >>

Unfortunately, PSA won't just add them because they exist!

Let's say the set was created in 2008... 2012 Topps just hit the hobby market today... but the 2011 card is still missing from his Basic Set for player X. You have to physically own the graded 2011 copy and have it in your online inventory to make the request and have it processed.

Kinda sucks... but I think it also makes sense from a management standpoint. PSA would probably have to employ a person (maybe 2) full time almost solely to keep sets up to date as new product hits the market! That's a lot to ask for a service the provide to us for free. Additionally, I also assume the reason for such is it's a lot less research time on their part to simply add from an existing cert, than have to verify that 2011 Topps card number 100 is actually player X, it exists, and meets the qualifications for sets X, Y and/or Z.
  • Options
    Good points everyone.

i actually just requested my first "Basic Set" to be added, hope it's "ready" by spring training.

It's just the waiting and waiting that is so frustrating lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I've added a few basic sets before, but the players I collect are all retired so most of the basic sets are set in stone. I very rarely have any problems with basic sets.
  • Options
    To some extent. I added the Ron Francis basic set a couple of years ago. I am still adding new cards to it from time to time that weren't originally included. And Ron's been retired for a decade.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Ya "PowderedH2O" once in a while my basic sets need minor tweaking but most of my sets (Hockey) are from pre 1990 when you only had Topps and O-PEE-CHEE and Parkhurst and they rarely change.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long does it take PSA to add a card to a set?
    I'm doing the Alex Gordon basic set, and requested a card that I own be added last week. What is the average time length before they add it? There's a lot of holes to fill in that set, there's only one card listed from 2009 to the present.
  • Options
    Yeah ludedude... I hear ya. I've had to occasionally add a late 80's card. Not often, but once in awhile. BTW, I bought some nice cards from you last month and I was quite pleased with everything.
  • Options

<< <i>How long does it take PSA to add a card to a set?
    I'm doing the Alex Gordon basic set, and requested a card that I own be added last week. What is the average time length before they add it? There's a lot of holes to fill in that set, there's only one card listed from 2009 to the present. >>

I've had cards take 3 weeks and I've had cards take 3 months!!!!