Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post a scan of your favorite card/item and WHY.

When my parents went their seperate ways(1989) one thing that kept me postive was Eric Davis. As a kid growing up in TN, I didn't get to see many Reds games but the 1990 Reds made my year and remember whipping Jose Canseco and the A's. I would read the box scores each day and loved Eric Davis. I had his posters on my wall, would trade better cards for Eric Davis cards in the neighborhood etc. When Eric left the Reds I followed him with the Dodgers and Baltimore(I drew the line when he went to St. Louis). When he was in Baltimore he would do Chemo treatments during the morning and then play baseball at night. I always respected that. I love folks who have the courage to battle cancer.

Anyway, a board member(Dboneesq) realized I liked Eric and sent me this card. We started chatting and I learned his wife and daughter had battled cancer too. That made the card even more special on my end for some reason. I just wanted the board members to know why a Eric Davis 1985 Topps autographed rookie would be my favorite card. image

Doug, thanks for the card. Thanks for sharing your story with me. When I walk by that card I always smile and really appreciate it.

What is your favorite card and why is it your favorite card?

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    THE 83 fleer Kittle started my obsession with baseball cards.
    ironically I never owned 1 until the last couple years

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I love all my items the same.

Good for you.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I have a 1987 Topps Ruben Sierra autographed from a local card show back in '87. He and Benito Santiago were there. It cost me $5 for his auto (which is a lot at 10 years old.

Later an older kid got me to trade it to him. I regretted it deeply, but kind of got bullied into it. I eventually got it back a year or so later and it will stay in my collection forever.

Edit: I will have to scan it in later as I am away on business in NYC.
    Joel
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That made the card even more special on my end for some reason. I just wanted the board members to know why a Eric Davis 1985 Topps autographed rookie would be my favorite card. >>

Great story and thanx for sharing it - I enjoyed reading it!

Unfortunately - for me - I don't have a favorite card of my own.

Mike
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1987 Topps Ruben Sierra autographed from a local card show back in '87. He and Benito Santiago were there. It cost me $5 for his auto (which is a lot at 10 years old.

Later an older kid got me to trade it to him. I regretted it deeply, but kind of got bullied into it. I eventually got it back a year or so later and it will stay in my collection forever.

Edit: I will have to scan it in later as I am away on business in NYC. >>

Would love to see it.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyway, a board member(Dboneesq) realized I liked Eric and sent me this card. We started chatting and I learned his wife and daughter had battled cancer too. That made the card even more special on my end for some reason. I just wanted the board members to know why a Eric Davis 1985 Topps autographed rookie would be my favorite card. image
    Doug, thanks for the card. Thanks for sharing your story with me. When I walk by that card I always smile and really appreciate it. >>

Nathan ... WOW! That just made my friggin week! Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Edit: I will have to scan it in later as I am away on business in NYC. >>

Hey Joel, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Maybe you can see Muggy up in his penthouse. image

BTW, this is another great thread. We've had a bunch lately. I have a few all-time favorites, but I think I can narrow it down. I might not get to scan it until Thursday as like Joel work is cramping my style.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Edit: I will have to scan it in later as I am away on business in NYC. >>

Hey Joel, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Maybe you can see Muggy up in his penthouse. image

BTW, this is another great thread. We've had a bunch lately. I have a few all-time favorites, but I think I can narrow it down. I might not get to scan it until Thursday as like Joel work is cramping my style. >>

The weather was great. I can't believe it was 60 degrees in Jan/Feb. No time to do anything fun unfortunately.
    Joel
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this card because it got me started with collecting hall of fame rookie cards. And i love anything Clemente.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    This is my favorite Frank saying hello to the cameraman. image

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    The 1958 Topps Bobby Richardson Yellow Name Varation is my favorite due to the fact its tougher to find nicer yellow varations and Bobby Richardson is my all time favorite player...

1964 Topps Football
  • Options

My favorite card of all time...

i was turning 14 when this card was released. if i close my eyes, i can still see myself monday to friday each morning before grade school going to the candy store to pick up 5 packs to open in the schoolyard before homeroom started. i would open them with my best friend (who still is, all these years later, although he was smart enough to never get addicted to heroin...errr cards) hoping to find a Gooden rookie. it got to the point where we knew the sequence from opening so many packs.
    i miss those days
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    This is my Favorite stuff from my collection. I collect all of his cards and pretty much anything Canseco related. I have 516 non doubles in the Binder in order by years and my doubles (2,600+) are in the boxes all in penny sleeves.

• Options

<< <i>My favorite card of all time...

i was turning 14 when this card was released. if i close my eyes, i can still see myself monday to friday each morning before grade school going to the candy store to pick up 5 packs to open in the schoolyard before homeroom started. i would open them with my best friend (who still is, all these years later, although he was smart enough to never get addicted to heroin...errr cards) hoping to find a Gooden rookie. it got to the point where we knew the sequence from opening so many packs.
    i miss those days >>

That is so great to read. That is one of my favorite cards as well. Thanks so much for posting that.

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    My son's name is Gehrig.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

He could of had a part in the Untouchables but chose Baseball instead.He hated Earl Weaver.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Sweet Clemente rookie Orioles
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I got this card the first year I worked for the Chicago Cubs as game day security right after I graduated high school. Asking for autographs was strictly forbidden especially since one of the first jobs I had was dugout and field security. I had the access but would have lost it real fast if I went around asking for autographs.

This card came from Pete Rose's friend and I believe card show dealer named Whitey. Pete Rose asked me to let Whitey onto the field and even though he didnt have a field pass I still let him on. After all, it was Pete freaking Rose who was telling me to let this guy on the field. (as a side note...10 years earlier, as a 8 year old I was yelling for Pete to sign my autograph and he wouldnt give me the time of day...now he was asking me to let his friend on the field). I let Whitey on the field and later as he was walking off he thanked me and handed me this card. I collected a good amount of memorabilia from my eight years with the team (four of them as a full time employee in the front office) but this one item is the one I have held onto tightly over the years.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

i miss those days >>

Great post...and that card is also my favorite of all time. I was 11 in 1985. I had collected since 1980, but 85 marked the beginning of my biggest collecting years from through 1989. My best friend and I would would split a wax box about every other Saturday night...each taking two quadrants from the box. Each hoping we'd be the one to yell "Gooden!" Those were good times. I can still taste the gum mixed with Faygo Rock n' Rye....waiting for Saturday Night's Main Even to start...still trading and sorting all the while.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this was edited to add "item" I believe?

If so - thanx! I don't have a card but do have one item that's special to me - it's the Sadie Jansell variation to the sheet music Take Me Out to the Ball Game - 1908.

It took me 5 years to find this one - and right after another came up - isn't that the way it goes!

Anyway - the HOF believes there's - perhaps - 30 variations but only catalogued 23 - I had given them 6 more - if memory serves.

It's believed that the Jansell cover was the first one printed - but who knows.

We're not sure who the #30 is? My take? Edward Meeker - since Edison recorded him and he was very popular in the 20s. I do have the original recording.

So - in summary - I have 27 copies of the music - missing 2 and searching ebay all the time.
    Mike
  • Options
    This is the first box I ever ripped. I bought packs from 1972-75, but I never bought a full box. When I rediscovered the hobby
    in 1987, the first wax I bought was 1985 Topps hockey.

These were my favorite cards from that box.
    You will never see 4SC, or anyone else come up with these in quantity. Steve Hart knows of no wax cases around, and getting a PSA 9
    on these is extremely difficult.

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>I noticed this was edited to add "item" I believe?

If so - thanx! I don't have a card but do have one item that's special to me - it's the Sadie Jansell variation to the sheet music Take Me Out to the Ball Game - 1908.

It took me 5 years to find this one - and right after another came up - isn't that the way it goes!

Anyway - the HOF believes there's - perhaps - 30 variations but only catalogued 23 - I had given them 6 more - if memory serves.

It's believed that the Jansell cover was the first one printed - but who knows.

We're not sure who the #30 is? My take? Edward Meeker - since Edison recorded him and he was very popular in the 20s. I do have the original recording.

So - in summary - I have 27 copies of the music - missing 2 and searching ebay all the time. >>

Wow, that is some great information. You learn something around here everyday. Stone, thanks for showing us this item.
  • Options
    Here is my pride and joy as mentioned on page 1.

Joel
  • Options

<< <i>

i miss those days >>

Great post...and that card is also my favorite of all time. I was 11 in 1985. I had collected since 1980, but 85 marked the beginning of my biggest collecting years from through 1989. My best friend and I would would split a wax box about every other Saturday night...each taking two quadrants from the box. Each hoping we'd be the one to yell "Gooden!" Those were good times. I can still taste the gum mixed with Faygo Rock n' Rye....waiting for Saturday Night's Main Even to start...still trading and sorting all the while. >>

You guys are killing me. I graduated high school in 85. Man, I'm old. Great card and even better stories. Thanks for sharing although Eric, I am not surprised at all, LOL.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my pride and joy as mentioned on page 1.

image >>

To get that card back from the older kid in your neighborhood makes that card priceless. I like it.
  • Options

<< <i>

i miss those days >>

Great post...and that card is also my favorite of all time. I was 11 in 1985. I had collected since 1980, but 85 marked the beginning of my biggest collecting years from through 1989. My best friend and I would would split a wax box about every other Saturday night...each taking two quadrants from the box. Each hoping we'd be the one to yell "Gooden!" Those were good times. I can still taste the gum mixed with Faygo Rock n' Rye....waiting for Saturday Night's Main Even to start...still trading and sorting all the while. >>

I love that card and I still need to buy one for my collection...

+1 for Saturday Night's Main Event!
    Joel
  • Options
    I had forgot about Saturday Night's Main Event.

That is what is cool about baseball cards to me. My wife and I were talking today and I explained to her that it is not the card, but the memory I have about a certain card that means something to me.

I have so many memories from so many different single cards.

• Options

<< <i>He could of had a part in the Untouchables but chose Baseball instead.He hated Earl Weaver. >>

Didn't everyone hate Earl Weaver??? image

That Frank Zupo card doesn't surprise me at all Tony. It is all you. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Jim - I knew you were a big Gehrig fan. Excellent choices!!!

Andrew - Great story. I bet you have a bunch more too.

Edited to add: Joel - I missed you. Like at that slim fellow. If only those guys stayed that way. They still would have had great careers I think.

Collecting:
  • Options
    This is the program I bought at the 1st big league baseball game I ever attended. Saturday night September 13, 1969. Braves & Houston. The Braves did win the game. Haven't been able to locate the ticket stub but I'm sure I still have it. It was the night before the 1st race at Talladega. We were staying half way between Atlanta and Talladega so took in the ball game too.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Here is my favorite baseball picture.

My father and I took the twin boys to see the Reds vs Yankees. Brady had asked to see the Yankees for the past few years because he played for the Yankees in T-ball.

Well, the Yankees came to Cincy this year. We sat front row, right beside our current Reds hero, Joey Votto, on the first base line.

The boys had a blast. It was the only game we beat the Yankees and we pounded them. Chris Heisey hit three home runs.

Right before the game started Cueto is walking into the dugout and motions to me with a ball. I didn't really know what he was doing and the next thing I know the ball is in the air headed my way and I catch it. My sons eyes got so big and in that one moment I was a hero to them. The security guard realized we had twins and went into the dugout and got them another ball.

The boys were the opening of the broadcast and luckily my wife DVR'd it back home.

To be able to go to a game with my father and sons and sit so close was something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Here is a picture of the broadcast.

• Options
    Nice Ron!!! I think I still have the program from my first baseball game in 1978.

Well here is my card. This is the actual first card I ever pulled from a pack. And since I know it's coming, I did rip packs back in the day, but I've outgrown that. image I still remember getting the pack from the ice cream truck and opening it up in my backyard right before the bicentennial in June of 1976. The first card I saw was this baby and as a Mets fan, I loved Tug. I think I treated it pretty well for a 9 year old.

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Ron!!! I think I still have the program from my first baseball game in 1978.

Well here is my card. This is the actual first card I ever pulled from a pack. And since I know it's coming, I did rip packs back in the day, but I've outgrown that. image I still remember getting the pack from the ice cream truck and opening it up in my backyard right before the bicentennial in June of 1976. The first card I saw was this baby and as a Mets fan, I loved Tug. I think I treated it pretty well for a 9 year old.

image >>

Ron, amazing some of the things we can remember because of a baseball card. When did you stop busting packs?
  • Options

<< <i>Ron, amazing some of the things we can remember because of a baseball card. When did you stop busting packs? >>

I don't know about Ron, but I broke the habit in 1986. image I've still busted a few here and there, but usually because of an issue with the pack, not the urge to rip it.

Collecting:
  • Options
    yeah, I meant Mike. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ron, amazing some of the things we can remember because of a baseball card. When did you stop busting packs? >>

I don't know about Ron, but I broke the habit in 1986. image I've still busted a few here and there, but usually because of an issue with the pack, not the urge to rip it. >>

I haven't bought a pack of sports cards sine 1990. Still have all the ones I have bought going ack to 1963. There is a gap from 63 to 1986.

Ron
  • Options
    Here are a couple of my favorite cards. I bought these in 1963 and 1961.

Ron

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome thread. I like hearing everyone's stories about their favorite cards. It is tough for me to narrow it down but I think I have gotten it down to my favorite 3. Most of my cards were sold/traded/lost by the time I was an adult, (I'm 36 now, for reference) but I have went back and re-acquired most of them and lots more. The first card is the 75 Brett. My dad bought 2 boxes of them and left them up in his closet for 8 years until 83, until my brother was 10. He then gave them to us in the hope we wouldn't destroy them. Of course we did, but still to this day the Brett is one of my all time favorites. (wish he would've kept them in that closet til now.) Next is the Clemente rc. Again, I remember my dad always talking so highly of him, and how he played, especially defensively. So, the Clemente rc. was kind of my "dream card". I ended up getting it last year. Finally, I don't know what it is but I swear that every time I watch Jeter (non biased Indians fan here) I swear he goes 2-5 or better. I always joke with my friends that if I watched every Yankee game Jeter would have a career .400 avg. I like the way he handles himself as well, so I have really grown found of the auto/relic card. Thanks everyone for sharing, and for listening to my story.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Gaylord Perry was the skipper of the local College team where my grandparents lived, and my grandfather gave this to me for my 9th birthday.

Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options

<< <i>This is the first box I ever ripped. I bought packs from 1972-75, but I never bought a full box. When I rediscovered the hobby
    in 1987, the first wax I bought was 1985 Topps hockey.

These were my favorite cards from that box.
    You will never see 4SC, or anyone else come up with these in quantity. Steve Hart knows of no wax cases around, and getting a PSA 9
    on these is extremely difficult.

imageimage[/q

So did you cut these cards from the bottom of the first box(in 1987) you ever bought.

If not, did you cut them later on? Whoever cut them did an amazing job.