Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some of my pickups in the past few months

First - I picked up an Irv Noren - Yankees - Wilson glove - 1950s.

Noren played for the Yanks from '52 to '56 - OF with a very respectable .275 lifetime BA.

Here's a cool item - American/National League team pins (7/8") from the mid-50s WITH the original cardboard backing - pins are a nice Nrmt.

And - to add to my sports decanter collection - here's some whiskey "display" pieces - they're in great shape and display really well! Kessler Whiskey - Store Display - 1970s.

They're approximately 14" high.

And a display from the Antique Bourbon company - store display- 1963.

Here's a really cool West Point Football Pin - I'm guessing late 1940/50s.

And - I have the lobby card for this movie - but couldn't resist when the poster came up - Big Leaguer - 1954 - note that Carl Hubbell had a cameo in the movie!

And here's a 1954 PM10 AS pin - which turned out to be - IMO - a fantasy piece from the seller - when I first wrote - after I purchased it - and told based on what he sold - I realized this was a fantasy piece - he berated me - called me a newbie - quote: "do your research. a good start ( Dr. Paul Muchinski) pm-10 Pinback guide is a great reference and is a must !!!! Get smart / with knowledge." When I told him I messaged Paul and asked his opinion - his reply was way more conciliatory to say the least. He admitted he "enhanced" his pins. I will say - in many cases the parts he uses look "period."

And a Pete Rose Wiffle Ball - sealed box.

And on the game board front! This is the 'travel' version of the Bob Feller Big League Baseball Game - ca1950s - I do have the table version and also the generic version sans Feller.

I was patient in waiting - many BINs are in the 50 buck ranger - this one was snagged for 21.50 and appears to never have been played!

Last - a baseball card! Sandy Koufax - from the Classic Sports Network - can't find it in any catalog - maybe a "premium" set - there's a total of six cards - including Jim Brown, Muhammed Ali, Wilt Chamberlain, Gordie Howe and Mary Lou Retton. They're approx. 3X5" I can't find my scan - this is from the sale.

Thanx for viewing!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    awesome stuff Mike! even the pics look fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Yes these are really cool items. Especially love the pins, whiffle ball, and the game looks mint too! Great stuff.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike.

That game is awesome.

Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, awesome stuff, I am loving those decanters. I think I need to pick a couple as well image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, those pins are off the charts. I love that type of stuff. I remember you once posted a cool pic of what I believe were mini ice scrapers from the early 50s that featured team emblems on them. That stuff is right up my alley.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    +1 for glove love. image
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Cool stuff!
    Joel
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Vera- Ellen also starred in White Christmas. Nice legs!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy seeing those old games. Nice!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I really like that pin set from the 50's; nice find!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Very nice stuff!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... some pretty kewl additions to your collection.

Question: Where the HELL do you keep all your stuff??? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    The baseball pins are cool, but having the original backing is what makes them AWESOME!

My son has a George Washington University pin like the Army pin you pictured, but his does not have the accessories. The person he bought it from is a dealer at a local show who sets up with sports, non-sports, and political collectibles; he had several different colleges, and he said he thought they were 1950s/1960s.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the "ClassicSports Network" the forerunner to ESPN Classic?

That "C" looks really familiar.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Nice.

I also have the Pete Rose box but the whiffle ball is long gone.

Joe
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike, I knew I'd see a game in here somewhere. Congrats on all the great pickups!!!

Now what do you say we play that Feller game. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Nice haul, Mike!

How are you displaying your items these day? Man cave?

Robert
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike ... some pretty kewl additions to your collection.

Question: Where the HELL do you keep all your stuff??? LOL >>

Thanx for the kind words guys!

Hiya Doug - I don't! When I get my immediate goals out of the way - expansion is in my future - the wife offered me her workout room - I'm gonna try to share it with her. I'm looking forward to doing the work!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>The baseball pins are cool, but having the original backing is what makes them AWESOME!

My son has a George Washington University pin like the Army pin you pictured, but his does not have the accessories. The person he bought it from is a dealer at a local show who sets up with sports, non-sports, and political collectibles; he had several different colleges, and he said he thought they were 1950s/1960s. >>

Mike - these kinds of pins can date to the 40s - tho I agree - probably 50s/60s - the celluloid donkey looks more like 40s/50s - but who knows?

<< <i>Mike, those pins are off the charts. I love that type of stuff. I remember you once posted a cool pic of what I believe were mini ice scrapers from the early 50s that featured team emblems on them. That stuff is right up my alley. >>

Good memory! Those were mine - I'm eventually gonna put them into a display since they're the ugliest things I've ever seen!

<< <i>Wasn't the "ClassicSports Network" the forerunner to ESPN Classic?

That "C" looks really familiar.

Nice haul, Mike! >>

I think you're correct on that one.

<< <i>How are you displaying your items these day? Man cave?

Robert >>

As I said Robert - I'm totally out of space. In fact - I'm ready to pick up 2 large frames from the shop and I really have no place to put them without totally rearranging all the stuff on the wall!

Thanx again guys!
    Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, great pickups!!! I love the look of the old gloves and those decanters are off the chart. I agree they will display well. Nice score on the pins. Having the cardbord backing really enhances the display factor. Great score on the Big League game, it does look mint and at less than half the price you have real winner. I've never seen the Koufax card. It may be some sort of giveaway that Classic Sports Network did.

Nice finds all around...imageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, great pickups!!! I love the look of the old gloves and those decanters are off the chart. I agree they will display well. Nice score on the pins. Having the cardbord backing really enhances the display factor. Great score on the Big League game, it does look mint and at less than half the price you have real winner. I've never seen the Koufax card. It may be some sort of giveaway that Classic Sports Network did.

Nice finds all around...imageimage

Donato >>

Hiya Donato - thanx - I did ask Bob Lemke about the Koufax card and he had no info on it. I agree with those who think it's a 'premium/promotional' card.
    Mike