Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

i have one of those tedious and annoying....

ebay questions. image sorry folks, but i think this might be my first "ebay help" question in my years here.

a couple of weeks ago a newbie buyer (feedback score at the time was 7) won three "lots" of cards i had for auction. he paid (about $300 w/postage). i mailed and eventually received a message informing me that he had to return the cards. when i asked if there was a problem he told me that he bought the cards thinking they were complete sets and not lots. his bad and he was apologetic. ok, things happen, so i told him to retrun the cards and i received them back today in the same condition as they were sent.

all of this was done outside of ebay. how do i handle the paypal refund? do i simply tell him that the paypal and ebay fees totaled $35 and deduct that from his refund, or should i have him contact ebay and do something (what, i am not exactly sure)?

any advice? thanks, eyebone
"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

Comments

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Find the original Paypal transaction. It gives you the option to refund the original payment, and it will refund the portion you received plus the fees Paypal took.

Then, go to the eBay transaction and request to cancel the transaction. Once the buyer agrees, you get the eBay fees back.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It was done outside of ebay Mike.

At least that is how I read it.

I think it was an auction where the 2 ended doing it outside of ebay.

How was payment made via PP. Gift?

Need more info.

<< <i> all of this was done outside of ebay. how do i handle the paypal refund? do i simply tell him that the paypal and ebay fees >>

^^ not sure I fully understand the above.
    Good for you.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    ^^^thank you. i will try that.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    steve

sorry for the confusion, but the purchase was done through ebay. it was the return that was done outside ebay. i think tony's advice sounds correct now that i think about it.

by outside of ebay i mean that he didn't file any sort of dispute/snad/whatever, so i wasn't sure that i should refund him any money until this was done, but now i see that i can.

eyebone
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh gotcha, ok.
    Good for you.