Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated With Photos: I'm Working on a Carson City Type Set

If you're also working on one, please describe the parameters of your set: Number of coins/denominations; dates; varieties; any other considerations.

I am working on a ten-piece set initially, which will be expanded later to include additional varieties. Here are the criteria for my ten-piece set:

1. One coin from the first year (1870)
2. One coin from the last year (1893)
3. One coin from the U. S. Centennial year (1876)
4. No duplication of dates
5. For the three gold issues ($5, $10, $20): one coin from each decade
6. A Morgan dollar from the "Top 100 VAMs"
7. At least one coin from a prominent collection (recognized by PCGS)
8. All coins certified by PCGS at AU50 or above
9. One additional criterion that I'm keeping secret for now
"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options
    I would add in a DMPL dollar or PL gold and maybe a chop mark CC but that would be an amazing set no matter how it is put together.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That should be a great set. My CC set consists of trade dollars, but there is always room for improvements.
  • Options
    Here is my $20 CC Type Set coin, which satisfies criterion no. 2, above. The photography is courtesy of Todd Pollock (BluCC Photos).

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a centennial year example...

1876-CC $20 PCGS XF45 OGH CAC
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody Working on a Carson City Type Set? >>

Not here, but the idea has merit.

I always thought it would be cool to do a type set (er, I mean mintmark set) with $5 Liberties, one from each mint: P,D,C,O,S,CC, and D again.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I would add in a DMPL dollar or PL gold and maybe a chop mark CC but that would be an amazing set no matter how it is put together.
    image >>

Thanks for the excellent suggestions! Perhaps I can add some of these to the Type Set.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Here's a silver coin from the Type Set, an 1878-CC Morgan Dollar. It satisfies criteria numbers 6 and 7, in that it's "Top 100 VAM" No. 20 ("1878-CC Lines in Eagle's Wing"). In addition, it is from the famous Texan Amon Carter's Collection. I purchased this coin in January 1984, directly from the Stack's auction of the Amon Carter Collection.

The photograph is courtesy of Todd Pollock (BluCC Photos). The PCGS certification label indicates "CARTER," but it is covered up in this layout.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Morgan George. That couldn't have missed 63 by much, it looks close to PL as well.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file