Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a fake coin and holder.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks whizzed or fake... In either case it likely doesn't belong in that holder. Something fishy here????image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fortunately with only 1 known die pair for business strikes for this year

authentication is unmistakable if you know the many reverse diagnostics

if you would like more information, let me know
    as to the coin pictured, those photos are really not sufficient but i'm guessing from the look, the coin is not authentic
    natural ambient light creates some funny looks on coins, especially at a distance and at various angles

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are on your toes.
    I think the smartest 5% of numismatists frequent these forums.

Doesn't scream 'fake' to the casual observer- yet it is.

These are silent little killers of the human spirit when in the wrong hands. I'm proud PCGS is aggressively and passionately going after these foreign profiteers.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fake IMO !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fake.

sorry,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its general appearance on the obverse raised some tiny red flags with me, but I wouldn't have picked up on the fake holder.

Scary stuff. Think of how many people would have been taken.

I'd have gotten around to wondering about the disconnect between the label grade and the coin's appearance, but in an unguarded moment or two I have to confess that they might've gotten me, too.

Not that I would ever be buying something like that in an unguarded moment. Key date stuff like that is outta my league. I'll stay humble- the sort of stuff I like isn't as frequently counterfeited, or if it is, people don't go out of their way to put fake plastic around their fake products.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a fake label

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's a fake coin and holder.

-Paul >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Font is too fat.

And if it was real that is the best darn AU53 I have ever seen!

Edited to add the last smart remark.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    The PCGS cert # checks out in terms of date and grade but it is not the coin that sold as Lot #1064 in the Heritage October 2009 Signature Auction (based on cert #)...definitely a fake... Regards, Daniel Boone
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭

<< <i>Font is too fat. >>

I think that may just be the lighting angle.

<< <i>And if it was real that is the best darn AU53 I have ever seen! >>

But I definately agree with you there. That is really the only thing that made me question it.

What do I need to know about the holder to tell that it is fake, other than what I just said about the coin, noting that the information on the lable is correct according to the Cert. Verification.

I have to admit that I am lost on this fake holder TPG trend. It really makes it tough to buy on the internet anymore since our due diligence used to entail making sure that the coin was in a TPGs holder.

Any information would be appreciated. If you prefer to PM me, that's OK, too, but there are probably others who would like to know.

Cheers !

edited to add the last line.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mentioned this site before. Take a look and see how many fakes are really out there.
    All you have to do is put the cert number (numbers after the slash) in the search box
    and hit search.
    bobimage
    Flicker fakes
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "Doesn't scream 'fake' to the casual observer- yet it is"

may not scream it but it yells quite loudly ! i dont know jack about morgans but i know that one just doesnt look right. no silver coin over 10 years old is going to be that bright in its natural state.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Font is too fat. >>

I think that may just be the lighting angle.

<< <i>And if it was real that is the best darn AU53 I have ever seen! >>

But I definately agree with you there. That is really the only thing that made me question it.

What do I need to know about the holder to tell that it is fake, other than what I just said about the coin, noting that the information on the lable is correct according to the Cert. Verification. >>

the font is wrong... too fat/bold

dead giveaway.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Fake-the coin looks far better than a 53. I would guess this coin to be a 68. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file