Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you guys think of these two little toners?

imageLarge Image

imageLarge Image

Picked them today out of a date set.
GMan

Comments

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I dig that Washie image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the quarter. Love the dime.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quarter is nice and subtle but colorful, I like it.. The dime is cool but maybe a little too much of a monotone burnt look, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em both. Looks like there is some neat green color on the Washie, too
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Love the dime.
    Becky
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    It's hard to get the colors right in photos. The quarter is very subtle and pretty. The colors give me a feeling of red white and blue with hints of a sea green. The dime is a little dark but not too dark for me. The pink and blue tones in the hair really set it off. I bought 4 date & mm sets in those little plastic cases and these are the best two coins. I'm on the fence with one other quarter and may post it tomorrow. It's odd how a couple coins toned so nicely while most of the others are just flat and lifeless. The copper cents did not fair well at all and the nickels and halves are mostly dull and lusterless. Glad you like these and thanks for the comments!
    GMan
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of beauties...

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice toning.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Ehhhhh, Nothing that isn't seen hundreds of times over the course of a week at B&M's around the country. Nothing special sorry
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I like 'em both but really like the dime. image

Mike
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice toners, in my opinion!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Very nice!image
  • Options

<< <i>A couple of beauties...

image >>

My favorite toning or patina is right here...gunmetal blue.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ehhhhh, Nothing that isn't seen hundreds of times over the course of a week at B&M's around the country. Nothing special sorry >>

image >>

Yeah, and there are a zillion bag-toned Morgans out there too, but that doesn't mean you have to
    be dismissive when somebody posts a nice one.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to present them as anything exceptional. I just think they are nice looking and thought I'd share and see if anyone else liked them. I enjoy rescuing coins from the melt bucket if they're worth the trouble. I know these really aren't considered classic coins so some may find them a bit blasé , but they are silver and over 50 years old. They'd probably been in that little plastic cased date/mm set for 50 years too so I thought they were a neat find and worth saving. If you don't like them, that's ok too image
    GMan
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they're very nice. And all the better if they came from the melt bucket!!!
    Putting an album together with melt bucket finds would be fun, and economical!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice save!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Ehhhhh, Nothing that isn't seen hundreds of times over the course of a week at B&M's around the country. Nothing special sorry >>

image >>

Yeah, and there are a zillion bag-toned Morgans out there too, but that doesn't mean you have to
    be dismissive when somebody posts a nice one. >>

Wasn't being dismissive. simply stating that they were avg grade UNCs with avg eye appeal and that with silver being what it is they are not really worth more than melt until you get to roll premiums for choice UNC's.

If everybody tells the OP how great they are and he amasses a group of MS63-64 late silver he will be sorely disappointed at some point when a dealer tells him the exact same as I did. You are not doing anybody any favors with fluffy answers when people come here to learn IMO.
  • Options
    I appreciate the honesty, but I'm under no misconceptions about what they are and are not. These were bought for melt and are probably worth just exactly that. I like them and that's all. I really do want honest opinions from everyone. I'm a big boy and can take it. it's never fun to hear negative opinions on coins you like, but like crypto said, an honest opinion even if it's negative, has value.
    GMan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

be dismissive when somebody posts a nice one. >>

Wasn't being dismissive. simply stating that they were avg grade UNCs with avg eye appeal and that with silver being what it is they are not really worth more than melt until you get to roll premiums for choice UNC's.

If everybody tells the OP how great they are and he amasses a group of MS63-64 late silver he will be sorely disappointed at some point when a dealer tells him the exact same as I did. You are not doing anybody any favors with fluffy answers when people come here to learn IMO. >>

IHMO, those coins have well above "average eye appeal", and would certainly stand out even in
    a typical folder at a coin show. The OP never asked about grades or value, and I had no reason to
    assume he was interested in that aspect of the coins. OTOH, he asked what we thought, and you
    told him, so I guess your response was fair...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file