Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1996 SI Tiger Woods - How to cut?

I'm getting a small collection tomorrow with an uncut sheet as well as a magazine with the sheet still in it.

How do you cut the card to get it in a high grade slab? I see the difference between a 5 to an 8, and an 8 to a 10 is pretty huge.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sean you need one of those table type cutters with the arm that swings down.

IIRC if you do a search you will see the exact model that was talked about here.

It's either in this forum or the other one.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    PSA says that you should not cut perforated items. I think the ol' bend and pull is what you'll have to do.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ahh it's perforated, yeah I think you have to do the bend and fold.

maybe practice on something else?

Good for you.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA says that you should not cut perforated items. I think the ol' bend and pull is what you'll have to do. >>

Exactly right. They will deem it as trimmed if the perforations are cut.

The thing you have to be careful of is to not remove any paper from the surface of the card when tearing them.

As Steve said, bend many time and tear gently.

• Hmm... We'll see when I get them to hand don't want to jump too far ahead.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned you can "score" them along the perforations, as long as you don't cut all the way through.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    be aware of surface wrinkles.. the value may be in the uncut sheet

• << <i>be aware of surface wrinkles.. the value may be in the uncut sheet >>

Very true, and I would be interested in them..
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • That's some pressure to deal with, a few grand or a couple hundred!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Not too long ago separated about 400 of these cards (ranging from 1989 to 1993), and I used the "bend once each way then gently pull apart" technique. Works like a charm!

You really do have to watch for surface wrinkles, bends, smudges, and tears. Remember, most of these things were mailed at one point.

Here are a few examples of mine.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue, after those mentioned, is the centering of the yellow and bluish purple. Most of the cards are slightly cut to one color or the other and are rarely "centered" so that the borders are absent the adjacent color. This should be checked before perforating.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    do not bend back & forth more than once along the perforation. once is more than enough. to do so more than once will cause "lifting" on the little perforations and make the edges too white. bend once and separate. practice first.

good luck. eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough