Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who are the outstanding young coin dealers?

There is another thread about a deal gone bad...let that stay there. However, at the end of the recent posts RYK talks about a young dealer that is doing it right, that has an excellent eye, access to good coins and has spent time/money learning by attending coin seminars/classes at ANA. I was then reminded of the OP by SaintGuru with the YouTube link to the talk given by Kevin Lipton who was a numismatic rock star in his mid-late teens. So the question is, who in your minds are the young coin dealers doing it right? No prize here other than maybe some free publicity for those that make the list.

The person that first came to my mind was Commoncents05-Paul. I find him to be smart, has access to nice coins and very prefessional in all my dealings with him. I was astounded to learn he is in his early 20's.

Whose on your list?
Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy Katz, aka "Airplanenut", comes to mind.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    It is illegal to discriminate on the basis or age. --jerry
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    He might not be considered "young" but in my eyes he is. John K has a fantastic career in front of him.
    Paul
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is illegal to discriminate on the basis or age. --jerry >>

Didn't mean to discriminate or be ageist. Realone, you pick. Both are equally important in their own ways.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He might not be considered "young" but in my eyes he is. John K has a fantastic career in front of him. >>

Yup, he is the next John Ford. And I mean all the good parts, not the controversial stuff.
  • GEN seams to have all the tools and drive.I would be surprised if he didn't evolve into a player in the field
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance Hipps always gets my vote, though I'm not sure how young he still is - at least 25 now? At FUN he told me he worked as a grader for PCGS for a few months this past year, which further sharpened his skills. He was always good at the deal-making aspect. Fair, honest, hard working, and personable. Wished I knew a bunch more like him.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you define, "Young"?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are many of them that don't participate here.

A couple of my favorites have already been mentioned: Lance Hipps and John Kraljevich. Both are younger than I am, so that qualifies as "young" image
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lance Hipps always gets my vote, though I'm not sure how young he still is - at least 25 now? At FUN he told me he worked as a grader for PCGS for a few months this past year, which further sharpened his skills. He was always good at the deal-making aspect. Fair, honest, hard working, and personable. Wished I knew a bunch more like him. >>

Lance is a great guy.....very knowledgeable and super sharp!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GEN seams to have all the tools and drive.I would be surprised if he didn't evolve into a player in the field >>

Really? I think he can do better. image

He's not a coin dealer. He's a rocket scientist.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you define, "Young"? >>

Define dealer as well.

There's much more to being a dealer than selling coins on the internet.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Ok, let's say young is less than 28yrs old. I think a dealer is someone that part time or full time is engaged in selling coins for profit. Not a hobbiest selling dups.

• bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Kyle Knapp!
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever they are, hopefully they will be able to keep a level head and avoid finding themselves in over their heads like CK did.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not a coin dealer. He's a rocket scientist.

We will not hold that against him as a coin dealer.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Since he has chimed in, Wondercoin had high praise for his offspring as graders when I met with in December.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaLP... Thank you for mentioning that.

Lauren (age 21) screens about (800) coins per hour in about 4 hour chunks of time nonstop (as fast as nearly any modern grader at PCGS best I know) and is personally responsible for uncovering some of the finest Presidential Dollar and State Quarter (pop 1) business strike coins out there. She is third year Psych major at Univ. of CA. San Diego, but has take this quarter off to further her studies of numismatics. She was actually invited today to do a video with the Modern Price Guide editor, J. Hernandez, on the modern coin market and she expressed great interest in participating.

Justin (age 20) screens about (600) coins per hour and has also had some great "scores" as a "modern coin hunter". He is a second year Chemistry major at Univ. of CA Santa Barbara and was always fascinated with the toning process. One day, he hopes to bring his vast knowledge of Chemistry and related fields to the numismatic arena. Justin was mentioned in Eric Jordan's book "Modern Commemorative Coins" at pages 107-108 and was selected as PCGS' Young Numismatist of Year in 2009 for his Presidential Dollar collection. His future career plans include numismatics in one manner or another.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JaLP... Thank you for mentioning that.

Lauren (age 21) screens about (800) coins per hour in about 4 hour chunks of time nonstop (as fast as nearly any modern grader at PCGS best I know) and is personally responsible for uncovering some of the finest Presidential Dollar and State Quarter (pop 1) business strike coins out there. She is third year Psych major at Univ. of CA. San Diego, but has take this quarter off to further her studies of numismatics. She was actually invited today to do a video with the Modern Price Guide editor, J. Hernandez, on the modern coin market and she expressed great interest in participating.

Justin (age 20) screens about (600) coins per hour and has also had some great "scores" as a "modern coin hunter". He is a second year Chemistry major at Univ. of CA Santa Barbara and was always fascinated with the toning process. One day, he hopes to bring his vast knowledge of Chemistry and related fields to the numismatic arena. Justin was mentioned in Eric Jordan's book "Modern Commemorative Coins" at pages 107-108 and was selected as PCGS' Young Numismatist of Year in 2009 for his Presidential Dollar collection. His future career plans include numismatics in one manner or another.

Wondercoin >>

Good stuff! I did not know that.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GEN seams to have all the tools and drive.I would be surprised if he didn't evolve into a player in the field >>

Really? I think he can do better. image

He's not a coin dealer. He's a rocket scientist. >>

I thought he was a photographer image

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I vote for Lance Hipps but i think he is past the 25 year mark.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<

<< <i> GEN seams to have all the tools and drive.I would be surprised if he didn't evolve into a player in the field ><B[/IMG]Really? I think he can do better. ”
    He's not a coin dealer. He's a rocket scientist. >>
    I thought he was a photographer. >>

I thought he was simply a friend.

By the way he sent me a lovely PCGS graded mercury dime that he really liked. I paid him what I thought it was worth without having the benefit of seeing it. It gold stickered and I did not disagree. He DOES have a great eye

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am more impressed about how proud wondercoin is of his two great kids.

To me that is more important than their actual accomplishments.

We can all learn from him.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoever they are, hopefully they will be able to keep a level head and avoid finding themselves in over their heads like CK did. >>

Ach, I thought the same thing. I don't think that'll repeat... I sure hope not.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Young James Ricks of Northeast Numismatics....

He runs their world coin division, .....I venture to say he is a partner.

He travels around the world to shows and auctions and has a great eye for foreign coins and knows his foreign coins....

He strikes me as being as honest as they come....

He has a huge future in numismatics and the burgeoning foreign coin market.....

If I were in my mid 20's again I would give hin a run for his money and become a world COIN DEALER....image

Edited to add: But alas I am not in my mid 20's........I just hit the big 60.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• << <i>Ok, let's say young is less than 28yrs old. I think a dealer is someone that part time or full time is engaged in selling coins for profit. Not a hobbiest selling dups. >>

Sorry,but I don't know anybody that young!
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He might not be considered "young" but in my eyes he is. John K has a fantastic career in front of him. >>

And behind him as well. Many of us on the board have known JK for about 20 years or so.

Another person worthy of mention is Michael Wierzba, dealer in Colonials.

• joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I thought about JK as well but probably older than your question intended?
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    JoeCopper: <<I thought about JK as well but probably older than your question intended? >>

Given the aging of leading coin dealers, anyone under 35 should be considered young.

1) JK is certainly the leading young dealer in medals, and one of the top dealers of any age in this area. Plus, he has encyclopedic knowledge of North American colonial and early U.S. history.

2) Will Robins became a serious and accomplished coin dealer when he was in high school. He now attends a leading university and works for a major coin firm during the summers. Robins is very knowledgeable about a wide variety of numismatic topics.

3) Matt Kleinsteuber is one of the sharpest graders in the nation. Further, he is very knowledgeable about coin markets. Although I do not agree with all of his viewpoints, I often cite Matt in my articles:

Stack’s auction of the W. L. Carson Collection of Proof Coins

Fresh & Original Proof Gold Powers Platinum Night Auction

Collecting Two Cent Pieces
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file