Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a fake slab?

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
If not someone got an awesome awesome deal.

'09-S IHC 65RB

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linkie no workie.

Here- try this one.

(Damn, that had a mile-long URL!)

Anyway, as to the answer to your question... I dunno.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't see anything that stands out as fake...but with those pictures, it's hard to tell for sure. if it is a fake, it's a good one. i think it's real.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm unsure. The slab type, label style, and serial number don't match up based on recent experience.

The serial # seems to be a new one (2559****), and all recent slabs have the new hologram with the white outline of St. Gaudens. This slab has an old hologram and what appears to be a new SN.

There were some older serial numbers that started with 2**** several years ago, but those slabs also had the Coin # and Series # on the label. I haven't seen a serial number start with 2 with that type of label. Not that it couldn't be legit, I just haven't seen this combination.

I can't say it's fake, but something about the label and hologram combination seems a little off. That, and a $3500 coin selling for $699.
  • Options

If you click on the bidder, you see it was sold as a BIN.

BIN for $699, what did the seller know, that he would offer a BIN for only that amount?

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Looks real to me.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look real to me.
    The font seems 'off' and is somewhat comparable to other fake PCGS slabs/inserts I've seen.

Tough to really judge though by the photos. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    ok, i think i have changed my mind.

i have looked at this some more and compared it to similar slabs that i have. there is one thing that doesn't look right to me, but i can't say for 100% certain.

look at the photo of the back of the slab. the window for the label on the back isn't the same size and shape as the window for the label on the front. do you see that? i can't find a slab in my collection that looks like that. it could be a fake, but like i said...i am not 100%.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the font. Looks too bold.

-Paul
  • Options
    Guys, also check out the "rivets." (Or whatever they're called. The little round plastic snaps that can be seen too easily through the plastic.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys, also check out the "rivets." (Or whatever they're called. The little round plastic snaps that can be seen too easily through the plastic.) >>

Those looked odd to me as well.

If it's too good to be true...
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The listing has been removed.
    Becky
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look fake to me. Another honest seller nailed by the mob? Not saying it is, just wondering. --Jerry
  • Options
    I've been in touch with the seller. He was puzzled why they took down his auction until I told him about this thread.

This is the second legitimate seller who has had inappropriate reports made to ebay in as many days. Making reports to ebay when you just think it "doesn't look right" is irresponsible and frankly, dishonest and unethical. To tell ebay that it is fake when you aren't sure is a lie and is just as bad as the guy who sells fakes on ebay when he isn't sure. you guys are playing with people's livelihood and reputation and it is reprehensible and had to stop. Have I made my opinions clear enough? Of does the lynch mob have too much momentum?

--Jerry

• Options
    bump for dayshift.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in touch with the seller. He was puzzled why they took down his auction until I told him about this thread.

This is the second legitimate seller who has had inappropriate reports made to ebay in as many days. Making reports to ebay when you just think it "doesn't look right" is irresponsible and frankly, dishonest and unethical. To tell ebay that it is fake when you aren't sure is a lie and is just as bad as the guy who sells fakes on ebay when he isn't sure. you guys are playing with people's livelihood and reputation and it is reprehensible and had to stop. Have I made my opinions clear enough? Of does the lynch mob have too much momentum?

--Jerry >>

I agree!

I don't know whether it's fake or not. $699 is a silly low, suspicious price. It is probably worth 4x that. If it's genuine someone may have actually helped the seller.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been in touch with the seller. He was puzzled why they took down his auction until I told him about this thread.

--Jerry >>

well, you are assuming that we reported it. it's entirely possible someone else did.

i would not report something i didn't believe to be 100% fake.

also, aren't we free to speculate on the authenticity when asked? i felt my observation is relevant. there are fake slabs out there and i think my intent is to try to educate myself and others on how to spot them. i never intended to be part of "lynch mob" trying to "play with people's livelihood." i think you are jumping to conclusions here.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking our host now has a hot line. If so, it would be to his advantage to share that he does as it would encourage more questionable slabs to be brought to his attention.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

--Jerry >>

I was inquiring as to if it was real or not, I didn't report anything, so before you start assuming things, take a second and think about what happens when you assume...

I think it's a counterfeit slab, though. >>

I guarantee that someone reported it, 99% someone here. Possibly someone who didn't even reply to the thread. They know who they are. I guess you were assuming that I was addressing my remarks to you personally.

So do you think this sellers other slabs pictured with the same camera in the same light with the same look are also fake?

--Jerry
  • Options
    ^
    Jerry, it takes more than someone simply reporting an auction to eBay for them to take it down.
    They must agree with the complaint.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>^
    Jerry, it takes more than someone simply reporting an auction to eBay for them to take it down.
    They must agree with the complaint. >>

They have the coin IQ of a waffle. Many of us here have had them take down auctions that were fully legit because they got reported. I believe Russ started calling them drones and that suits them well. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>^

They have the coin IQ of a waffle. Many of us here have had them take down auctions that were fully legit because they got reported. I believe Russ started calling them drones and that suits them well. --Jerry >>

Used to be, for sure.
    Somewhat recently though they turn to a group of experts to make these determinations.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>^

They have the coin IQ of a waffle. Many of us here have had them take down auctions that were fully legit because they got reported. I believe Russ started calling them drones and that suits them well. --Jerry >>

Used to be, for sure.
    Somewhat recently though they turn to a group of experts to make these determinations. >>

I've heard rumors of that but haven't seen any evidence of it. Still, even an expert can't tell anything from that picture. --Jerry

PS. I really don't see ebay hiring even one numismatist. They have never done that for any other product and they have had lots of opportunities. Their business model is let the customers do the policing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file