Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Wow--looks like I've got a lot to learn...

Just submitted my first batch of 15 cards. Two were 9OC, one was 9PD. Four were 8's, 5 were 7's, two 6's (one was hand-cut) and a 5. Are they going to tell me what the issues were on the cards without qualifiers?

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Just submitted my first batch of 15 cards. Two were 9OC, one was 9PD. Four were 8's, 5 were 7's, two 6's (one was hand-cut) and a 5. Are they going to tell me what the issues were on the cards without qualifiers? >>

Nope, but we'll be happy to critique some. image

EDIT: They will tell you if you submit cards for review, but not on these.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Post some pics and we will all be glad to chime in with our opinion...

Jeff
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I also learned the hard way. Now I scan them on the boards to get expert opinions from the members. This helps me in my decision on whether to submit or not.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I'll be sure to scan them when I get them, although I haven't really figured out yet how to upload the scan...

I'm guessing that there is probably some aspect of some of the cards that I overlooked--I was so focused in on finding centered cards and sharp corners that I probably missed some sort of print defects or something.

At the same time, however, I've bought some PSA 8's on Ebay that have had me scratching my head--O-Pee-Chees' with visibly rough edges, questionable centering, odd splotches--while I've bought other 8's that, for the life of me, I can't find anything wrong with them.

I'm not necessarily discouraged by the grades, but what sucks is that it's tough to buy raw cards online and really know what I'm getting--the 5 was a 1973 O-Pee-Chee hockey that I paid $20 bucks for--and frankly, when I got it, it looked better in person than any other raw 1973 I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you building the 73 OPC hockey set Hank?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Nah, just collecting vintage Darryl Sittler cards. What kills me is that a couple of 1973 OPC PSA 8's showed up on Ebay in the past month or so and I passed because I figured I was sitting on a pretty good one to submit. I still say it looks better than any 1973 OPC Sittler on Ebay right now.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better luck next time.... and I agree with the earlier post - put some scans up here along with a copy/paste of the grades... we all love to live vicariously (and root for each other).
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hank

It's easy to upload pics to the forum.

1 take a scan or picture of the item and save to your computer.
    2. Go to photobucket.com and sign up for a free account.
    3. upload the picture there
    4 click on the picture and copy the url (I use the bottom one) IMG code, click on it and it copies.
    5. paste the url directly to the texting window here and click send.

The reason you need to do this is because you need a host.

Hope that makes sense.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Here's a couple of the 7's I received today. And the fact of the matter is, I'm still pretty happy with the cards. I like how the black rub-off stuff on the '80 Topps doesn't have scratch lines on it. I will say that once these cards are in the holder, the sharpness of the corners (or lack thereof) is much more noticeable--the bottom edge of the 72 OPC looks much rougher too. But again, I have OPC's with 8's that also have rough edges.

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    IMO the 7 on the Sittler seems fair primarily due to centering/tilt. The corners are perhaps touched a bit? I would rather have this as a 7 than an 8(oc). I'm sure there are straight 8's out there with similar centering but those are probably over-graded.
  • Options
    love those 80s! those were the first hockey cards i purchased. i was 9 and remember i couldnt rub off the black fast enough! LOL
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Believe it or not, that's only the second 1980 Topps Sittler ever submitted (the other one was an 8). Guess if I want to find a better one I'm going to have to find and suibmit it myself.
  • Options
    Here's some '74's I submitted.