Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

square holes only, please

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool piece! Is that a reverse cud at 10 o'clock?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'd put that baby on my keychain!
  • Options
    For folks out there like me who are trying to learn more about older coins, could anyone tell me why it's better to have a hole in a coin than a coin with a decent looking plug (or is that assumption incorrect)? The reason I ask is because I've seen people post coins with plugs and state that they plan on having it removed. Since it's clear to anyone who looks at the coin that it has been worked on, than why go through all the trouble of removing the plug in the first place? A damaged coin is a damaged coin so I wouldn't expect the repair to affect the value either way. I guess it makes sense to remove the repair if the plug is small and was done by an expert so you're doing the hobby a favor by ensuring no one will ever get duped, but otherwise why do people remove plugs on holed coins? I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to repair a coin, but I'm specifically asking why some undo a prior repair.

Thanks for the education image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For folks out there like me who are trying to learn more about older coins, could anyone tell me why it's better to have a hole in a coin than a coin with a decent looking plug (or is that assumption incorrect)? The reason I ask is because I've seen people post coins with plugs and state that they plan on having it removed. Since it's clear to anyone who looks at the coin that it has been worked on, than why go through all the trouble of removing the plug in the first place? A damaged coin is a damaged coin so I wouldn't expect the repair to affect the value either way. I guess it makes sense to remove the repair if the plug is small and was done by an expert so you're doing the hobby a favor by ensuring no one will ever get duped, but otherwise why do people remove plugs on holed coins? I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to repair a coin, but I'm specifically asking why some undo a prior repair. >>

Like you say, a damaged coin is a damaged coin. But unless they're very expertly done, plugs are tacky. Holes, on the other hand, are part of the coin's history. They've got a story to tell. Plugs are more like putting makeup on a pig. A pig can be lovable as an honest pig, but if he's dressed up as a unicorn, who wants that? A hole, on the other hand, tells you something about a coin, sometimes. For example, on Frank's coin in the OP, that piece was probably holed with one of the old fashioned hand-wrought "square" nails. I've got a 1738 British halfpenny like that. I'm not so sure about the rectangular hole in the center of my Nova Constellatio copper above. It looks a bit too neatly cut and beveled for a square nail job. Either coin could have been mounted on the beam of a building for luck, or nailed to a ship's mast, or... who knows. It's fun to think about.

It's mostly just a matter of personal preference, that's all. Few people will be a fan of a plug, since if you're a mainstream collector you don't want any damage to your coins. If you're a more openminded "holeyhead" type like me, though, you'd rather have the hole as it was in the distant past than have a coin with a hole that some misguided person attempted to repair. A plugged coin doesn't please either category of collector.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>A pig can be lovable as an honest pig, but if he's dressed up as a unicorn, who wants that? >>

LOL point taken. I certainly wasn't expecting such a colorful reply, but it's appreciated image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    LM says it best, a contemporary hole is no problem for me if I'm looking for an inexpensive type. IMHO it's the most acceptable form of "damage" because it has CONTEXT!!!

I have a .25 with a square hole around here someplace image

"Thiggy" provenance!
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a Draped Bust quarter (1805, I think), with the square nail hole, but the imaging of my holey collection is still not complete. It's a gargantuan project.

PS- Say, whatever happened to ol' Thiggy, anyway? (That's "dthigpen", to those who don't know who we're talking about. Another Jedi-class holeyhead.)

I guess he wandered off after they shut down the Open Forum. I've got an UNC details Flying Eagle cent holey with his pedigree.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    case in point, previously on the "world" forum.

great details, a 275-340 coin, with hole? 20% of that... and beautiful detail you wouldn't be afraid to carry in your pocket.

• Options
    You ever wanna part with that puppy, Frank (or the DB half in the OP), you know who to PM, right? image

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, I have a Draped Bust quarter (1805, I think), with the square nail hole, but the imaging of my holey collection is still not complete. It's a gargantuan project.

PS- Say, whatever happened to ol' Thiggy, anyway? (That's "dthigpen", to those who don't know who we're talking about. Another Jedi-class holeyhead.)

I guess he wandered off after they shut down the Open Forum. I've got an UNC details Flying Eagle cent holey with his pedigree. >>

This one came from Douglas... it's currently in my second type set album.

• Options
    I don't have any square holes but I want to post in here! image

• Options

<< <i>You ever wanna part with that puppy, Frank (or the DB half in the OP), you know who to PM, right? image >>

the seedy underside of holed-coin trading....image LOL
  • Options
    Speaking of Thiggy, my Fugly Fugio also came from him. For a mere $30-ish. I posted it in one of your previous threads, Frank, remember?

OK, so it's not a square hole. I cheated on that one. But so did you, with the round-holed 8-reales. image

Back on track, now. Square holes only.

I've got others, but don't think I have images of 'em at the moment.

• Options
    I'll give you 31.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thiggy ran off with all of the holed ones I had. IIRC one of those was a square holed Seated Half.

• Options
    I think he owns/runs a bar in San Diego or has some multi-media empire based on a 500 acre farm in north carolina.
    I think....image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Becky's got a square hole on there!

But inquiring minds wanna know... is that an original piece of 19th century string? image

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    No way to know....image

The dealer I bought it from said that was the way he bought it.
    Becky
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    H&C- you suck.

You already knew that, though, right? image

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. Not really a square but close enough for this thread.

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Probably the most pedestrian in this thread, but hey, it's got the square hole.

imageimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not square, but ruined none the less... and on a rare Ryder 19 image

imageimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd sure like to find one of these. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    square-ish hole

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭

Always interested in nice love tokens and engraved coins.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>square holes only, please >>

seems a lot of members can't tell the difference or have difficulty following simple directions

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file