Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post the cards that you are proud of even if they are dog eared and creased

As a result of a post from another board member on a different thread, I am starting this thread.

We all cannot own high grade, sharp corner, beautifully centered cards so someone has to collect the cards that have creases, dog ears and rubber band marks. I know I have some of these cards at home that I wouldnt get rid of for anything and I know others do to. So in this thread, let the collectors who collect collector grade cards stand up and be proud! Show us your rough around the edges Don Hoak's. Show us your creased but loved Curt Flood's. Heck, show us your beat up but respected PSA 1 52 Mantle. Whatever card you are most proud of or like the most, regardless of condition....post it here. And if there is a back story to the card, be sure to share that as well. Lets make this board about what we collect all over again and get back on track as to why we are all here!!

I will post a few when I get home as I am at work now but show us what ya got....even if it is a Carmon Fanzone 1974 Topps that has been in your wallet since you were a kid.
I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

Comments

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    so you're basically talking about my entire collection, Andrew. image

Rather than clog the board with a zillion scans, I'll post some links to my 'well-loved' Dodger collection instead.

T205, T206, '33 Goudey
    1948-1955 Bowman
    1952-1959 Topps
    1960-1969 Topps
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I gots me some well loved cards.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Excellent replies everyone. These are the kinds of cards I am talking about. Look at the "affordable" legends we have already posted in this thread. Great cards, keep them coming.

I know I have at home some cards I had when I was a kid. I used to write the name of the players team on the card when he got traded or released which eventually would make the card look terrible if the guy was bouncing around from team to team. Every day I would get the paper and go right to the transactions portion of the sports section and see who was traded, released etc. I would dig out the cards of the player mentioned and remove him from that teams stack, mark his new team in ball point pen and put him in the new teams stack. Every once in awhile I will run across a few of the cards I gave this treatment to and I put them in a top loader and place them next to some of my favorites. These cards are probably not worth the holder they were placed in but to me it reminds me of my childhood and a simpler time. They may look like crap to others but to me they are priceless. (I have to get some scanned to show you just how beautiful/crappy they look!!)

Is there any stories behind these cards everyone is posting?

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I couldn't tell you what these sell for, I am guessing a $1 or $2. Its absolutely one of my favorite cards in my collection. Most wouldn't know that I am infinately more passionate about Nascar racing than I am any of the big 4 sports (Baseball, Football, Hockey or Basketball).

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I like this thread. Everyone should always feel free to share their love of collecting. It's a shame some feel they have to have an expensive card for it to be appreciated, but I for one like seeing cards and even more like hearing the stories and reasons behind why somebody loves a player, team, year, etc.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    This thread is off to a great start. Like many collectors on here, I've got card that mean more to me than its current condition. I've been good about posting comments, but bad at scanning lately. I'll try to post some of my more sentimental cards on Thursday as the wife will be out. image

Jim, those Mays look nice. I'd take them in a minute. And the Jimmie Foxx and Hank Greenberg look like they were well enjoyed.

Geordie, I haven't been able to go through everything yet, but that is an impressive website. Just to find some of those cards in any condition is impressive.

Fattymacs, isn't that 3 Finger Brown? If so, he looks like he has more than 3 fingers.

Matt, glad to see you posting. But, Jeff Gordon, Really??? What about Tony Stewart??? I was more into the indy cars so A.J. Foyt was my guy.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my 2. The 1965 Rose was the first major card I ever had when I was just starting to collect. Other than my 1988 Topps factory set with Tom Glavines major Rookie card, this was it. My dad gave it to me in 1988 for easter when I was 7. Ill never sell it and I paid 15.00 to have it in a case I dont know why. But I think I might bust it out and keep it raw like it should be. The Cobb I got from my brother in a trade. I gave him a signed cobb letter for it straight up. I will also never sell it. These are the 2 keys to my collection! If my kids dont appreciate cards Ill be buried with them.
  • Options
    One of my favorites.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options

<< <i>These are my 2. The 1965 Rose was the first major card I ever had when I was just starting to collect. Other than my 1988 Topps factory set with Tom Glavines major Rookie card, this was it. My dad gave it to me in 1988 for easter when I was 7. Ill never sell it and I paid 15.00 to have it in a case I dont know why. But I think I might bust it out and keep it raw like it should be. The Cobb I got from my brother in a trade. I gave him a signed cobb letter for it straight up. I will also never sell it. These are the 2 keys to my collection! If my kids dont appreciate cards Ill be buried with them.
    image >>

I would love to have a Cobb in any condition!! Great card!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I've posted this before but it's appropriate for this thread. Cost me $1 at a show in the '70's in New York:

Daniel
  • Options
    Chad, Nice 53 Matthews. That card has some seriously nice eye appeal.

Daniel, I love that 52 Duke. I don't own any 52's, but that would be one of the first I would like to own.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Definitely well loved, these are typical of my 60's cards that Mom did NOT throw out!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Ive had this card since my childhood. I just cant seem to let go of it. Its the only card that I still have from back in the day when I was like 7.

Whats funny is that I still keep this in a card saver and even funnier is that I put it right back in there when I was done scanning in.

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Most of my vintage look just like this:

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Two of my favorite cards of my favorite players.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How about these two? One is OC the other, well I just always liked this guys name.

Good for you.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Always happy to show off my first Ripken card, that I still keep in my wallet! image

• Options
    Geez that card is 30 years old now.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lol, pretty sad when my cards cant even messure up to these nice old cards above,,
    1998 topps chome refractor and a '97 o'neil gold card,, i got more but this was closest to the scanner,,, although my jordan collection could have stood up but when i was collecting back in the 90's baskettball i put them together for my son at the time and actually handed it over to him and he now cant seam to find it, so all them big money cards are gone,, lol,, oh well,, j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Cool Cards
  • Options
    Jeff, That Ripken is well loved.

J, I have always loved that Mo Rivera card. To be honest, I really like the entire 98 T Chrome set.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    I have two. The first is one from a guy at work right after i graduated from college. He was a Yankee fan and had a whole bunch of early 50's cards stuck in a album. I paid too much for what they were at the time but it was probably the only way i waqs going to get this card back then with no money saved.

imageimage

The second is my favorite variation card

imageimage

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Here are some of my favorite low-grade cards in my collection. I recently started buying several of the cards that I've always wanted in lower grade in order to make the project affordable. I'd rather have several well-loved collector-grade cards than a single expensive higher-grade card. I find that I enjoy the hobby more that way.

imageimage
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    From my Dad's childhood collection. I love these and thinking of him as a 12 year old taking out a pair of scissors and cutting the corners makes me smile.

Joel
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned this card for over 20 years. It has great sentimental value to me. Perhaps that means I need professional help.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    A couple well loved legends.....

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorites...

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Nice cards!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Early choice for thread of the year! I sure know exactly WHERE to put the tack!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I have lots of beaters that I use to get signed but here are a few of my personal favorites.
  • Options
    Isn't this the way cards are supposed to be enjoyed? Thes cards are so well loved, brings me back to my childhood, when imitated my 87 Topps rookies and stars around in a big stack with a huge rubber band around them.
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't this the way cards are supposed to be enjoyed? Thes cards are so well loved, brings me back to my childhood, when imitated my 87 Topps rookies and stars around in a big stack with a huge rubber band around them. >>

This is exactly the way cards should be enjoyed IMO. Everyone marvels at the high graded cards but looking at these well worn and well loved cards reminds all over again of being a kid!

Keep the scans and stories coming!!
  • Options
    This was my wallet card. When I was young I was amazed by the back of this card, with his wonderful stats but also the printing, beautiful black ink on yellow. So simple and classic! That is one of the reasons why I decided to collect this set. (85% finished!) I met him years later purely by accident in Petaluma Ca. at a furniture store grand opening while I was looking for a couch! I remember some guy telling my wife and me" You see that guy up there? Have you ever heard of Stan Musial?" I looked up and there he was standing on top of about thirty stairs holding on to the rail! I RAN up the stairs and shook his hand and we chatted for a minute. Very nice man. What a crooked smile! image