Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A card show to remember!

Went to TwinsFest over the weekend with a great friend and fellow Killebrew collector Gary. I wasn't expecting too much in the collectible department as I have almost every affordable Killebrew item and am low on funds as well.

Gary actually came down the day before and we spent the time catching up and comparing notes on the obscure items we "need". I made a big pot of chilli for dinner.

We arrived early and made our way to the Metrodome floor to begin our search. I'll never understand how people can play football on this surface, feels like my basement floor with some thin, crappy carpet stretched over it. There was an amazing display of Killebrew memarabilia, including his High School football jersey, he was a High School All-American Quarterback in Payette Idaho.

After a short time we separated and I struck up a conversation with one of the dealers who had some 60's material. Turns out he's a good friend of Gary's. As we're yakking I notice he has a 1968 Action All-Star sticker, full panel with Killebrew on it. I have the #2 panel, Killebrew is the center sticker on both #2 and #14. Here's what he had priced at $100.00;

That's what I am talkin' about!!!!

That made my day! Struck up some more conversations and renewed some friendships with dealers I rarely see anymore. Overall a wonderful time.

Joe
2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Joe, very cool item. I bet that high school jersey was amazing too. Something can be said for a man like Killebrew who grows up in a small town and returns for the rest of his life after being in the big city spotlight for so many years. Doug
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the pleasure of meeting Harmon on several occasions and he was a beautiful person!

We miss you Harm!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great job Joe. You never know what you'll find.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    I don't collect baseball and still come to TwinsFest just for the show and for collectibles. The Killebrew display was great. It had his MVP award, his 3rd grade first "jersey" which his mom made from one of his dad's old shirts, high school grad stuff, etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Joe. Nice pick-up. So now you have them both! Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.