Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question on PCGS coin.

I bought a 1909 VDB one cent coin from a dealer. On the PCGS clear holder it just says 'Genuine.' Does this mean that the coin was not in good enough detail to be graded even at Fair, Good, Very Good etc?
Thank You for the opportunity to post my question.
You have to watch out for yourself, because nobody else is going to. Especially during dodge ball.

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It means that the coin has an issue that keeps it from grading as a problem free coin. Cleaning, altered surface, environmental damage, questionable color, whizzing, damage are a few of the reasons a coin might be in a "Genuine" holder.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the number before the right-slash??? (2 digits)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the "genuine" holder has been around for a few years.

details grading of "genuine" coins has only been around for a month or two tops. I got an order back in December 2011 that had a "genuine" coin that didn't get details graded.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Authentic coin with other problem(s). Authenticity is important for this coin.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Thank you kindly for the replies. The number before the slash is .80 Would it help if I post the entire number or is that a no no?
    You have to watch out for yourself, because nobody else is going to. Especially during dodge ball.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Coinseeker
    I have that same 80 code and since it is not listed I sent PCGS an email about six months ago and to this day I have not gotten a reply. I guess I should dig up that email and send it again. Someday if I pester them enough maybe I'll get a reply even if its "I don't know" at least it is something.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinseeker
    I have that same 80 code and since it is not listed I sent PCGS an email about six months ago and to this day I have not gotten a reply. I guess I should dig up that email and send it again. Someday if I pester them enough maybe I'll get a reply even if its "I don't know" at least it is something.
    Bob >>

If you aren't getting a reply with email, why not try a phone call to customer service to ask?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Code 80 is what they used before they started using the new genuine codes that tell which problem it has.
    So it means "one of the genuine codes".

This thread spells it out:

This thread explains it well
    Ed
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Oh, So thats what it means.
    Thanks
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Authentic coin with other problem(s). Authenticity is important for this coin. >>

Who would counterfeit a 1909 VDB? It's not particularly rare or expensive. I guessing you misread it as an 1909 SVDB.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Mr.DonWillis
    Due to popular demand we are making a couple changes to our Genuine program. In addition to the previous no grade codes we will now holder 'Holed & Plugged', and 'Rim Filed' coins. Since both of these impairments can be very difficult to recognize we will print the no grade reason on the front of the insert (only for these two no grades). We are also creating a new no grade code for 'Peeling Lamination'. These will not be holdered as we consider them to be active. Also, note that 'Holed' coins will be holdered as code 98 - damaged.

Here is a recap of our no grade codes, print status as well as holder status.

Code/ Description / Printed Description / Holder

82 Filed Rims / Yes / Yes
    83 Peeling Lamination / No / No
    84 Holed and Plugged / Yes / Yes
    90 Not Genuine / No / No
    91 Questionable Color / No / Yes
    92 Cleaned / No / Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw / No / Yes
    94 Altered Surface / No / Yes
    95 Scratch or Rim Nick / No / Yes
    97 Environmental Damage / No / Yes
    98 Damage or Tooling / No / Yes
    99 PVC Residue / No / No

btw - I've seen a few posts wondering what code 80 means. That was the code used for the old Genuine program. We are no longer holdering coins as code 80. >>

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the 'old' code 80, would mean that this coin fit into one (or more) of the 'new' codes. Is that correct?
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the 'old' code 80, would mean that this coin fit into one (or more) of the 'new' codes. Is that correct? >>

Yes.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the 'old' code 80, would mean that this coin fit into one (or more) of the 'new' codes. Is that correct? >>

Yes.

-Paul >>

All thats left now is for the OP to post a picture of the coin so that opinions can be posted on "why" it got the 80!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinSeeker. It is very important that you do not buy anymore coins until you have at least a rudimentary understanding of the hobby. Buy a book, read these forums, work with a good dealer, etc. Take advantage of all that you can learn before learning the hard way. Not sure what the dealer who let you buy that coin was thinking, but it is clear it was not to educate you.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Holder has a lot of scratches. Sorry, this is the best I could do. Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing "environmental damage" for the booger of corrosion? under his nose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file