Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Someone sold a really nice raw set of early Lincolns on eBay last weekend

seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
Someone sold a complete set of AU/UNC early Lincolns, including the key dates (no '22 plain, though) over the weekend, I was watching the auctions close in real time. I've been out of the game for a while but some of these prices realized look like terrific bargains:

Link to completed auctions

This might be a good reference for others working on the set, these coins did not go under the radar and I believe the prices are a good indication of the current market.

Sean Reynolds

Edited to add that if you go back far enough in the seller's auction history, this is the second such set he's sold this year.
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the 4 pages of auctions, about 75% of the coins sold, if slabbed, would sell for 2x to 5x the final auction prices. WOW!!!
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just took a look at the Lincolns.

I don't know the series very well, but some of them sure looked nice!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got some really good prices for many of those pieces.I think he got the good prices because of selling the set the way he did,all at the same time,one at a time.

The '24 D Looks like VF to me.The '14-D is barely XF.

Overall a nice set though.It's interesting that the SVDB didn't sell.imageThe '31-S went for too much.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Those carbon spots on that 31-S did not scare the biddersimage
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Some sweet coins! That 14d looks like a nice deal - probably because people were scared off by lack of certification.
  • Options
    Older bronze composition coins with little or no wear give the collector choice to do varied and interesting "looks" for the individual coins in his/her set.Oddly enough,even though the individual "looks" are different,the coins here,for the most part,look like they belong with the others.

A better choice should have been made for the '31-S,however.image

The '13 "P" has a great look to it.That's why it went for such strong money (over $100),imho.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I really liked the 1912 in this latest set. The first set he sold ended on January 8 and in general those coins saw even higher prices realized. The '14-D in that set sold for well over $800.

I believe the auction for the 1909-S VDB was either cancelled or it sold off eBay, it had several bids earlier in the week.

I noticed he also sold a set of albums with a partial lower-grade set of Indians and Lincolns. I wonder how many years went into building those....

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    The 1912 is a beut.A coin like this will get higher grade at the service just for the nice colors. There are a few ticks on it that should limit the grade of this one at our favorite service to no higher than MS 63.

That being said,lots of collectors,and some graders, go crazy over Lincolns that look like this 1912 which sold for $132.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well matched coins... also, in looking at the 1909-S the coin looks to be slightly broadstruck. Pretty cool.

• Options
    Took a closer look at the '24-D that I call VF.Even though the cheek is flat,the wheat is full.

The seller claims all his coins are at least XF.I'm old school,however.

So,according to me of the old school,the coin gets the grade of the weakest side,in this case the obverse.

This '24-D was well-struck.So many of these are not.A good buy at $73.

1924-D

• Options
    That 14d looks like a nice deal - probably because people were scared off by lack of certification.

You're probably right about being scared off.This '14-D is the real deal though.It is XF,not by much though.Excellent buy for a little under $600.
    A '14-D that looks as good as this one I can see easily bringing $900-$1000 from the buyer who knows what he or she is looking at.

1914-D

• Options
    Look how nice some of the key dates were in the earlier set he sold:

1924-D that looks AU and sold for $382.

1914-D that I'd also grade AU and sold for $861.

The 1931-S looks like an easy 63RB and sold for $188. He also got strong money for this beautiful 1913-D, it hammered for $276.55.

I wonder if it is even possible to put together a raw set this nice today without having to crack the majority of the coins from slabs.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any one add it all up? It was a nice set. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the auction pictures and honest descriptions, I want to leave the seller positive feedback and I wasn't even a bidder. image

Some of those pieces have gorgeous toning.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at the 4 pages of auctions, about 75% of the coins sold, if slabbed, would sell for 2x to 5x the final auction prices. WOW!!! >>

"if slabbed" is the key. This is why raw coins sell for much less. There is always the risk that a coin has been doctored or overgraded.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice evenly matched coins in that set
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. This looks like it was a very nice set, and almost all of the coins looked original and went for solid prices. For so many raw coins, there was only 2 or so that I didn't like the look of.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, I have to get my Lincolns out and check their values. These cents have increased in price drastically since the 1990s when I bought them! That small pile of VF to XF45 1931-d and 1933-d cents I bought for $3 to $4.50 apiece back in'98 is looking pretty attractive, too!

• Options

<< <i>Geez, I have to get my Lincolns out and check their values. These cents have increased in price drastically since the 1990s when I bought them! That small pile of VF to XF45 1931-d and 1933-d cents I bought for $3 to $4.50 apiece back in'98 is looking pretty attractive, too! >>

Check those '33-D cents for clips, I'm paying moon money. image

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Would love to have a complete matched set that looked just like that 35 D
    I Like the look of that coin!

35 D
    ED
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He got some really good prices for many of those pieces.I think he got the good prices because of selling the set the way he did,all at the same time,one at a time.

The '24 D Looks like VF to me.The '14-D is barely XF.

Overall a nice set though.It's interesting that the SVDB didn't sell.imageThe '31-S went for too much. >>

Agreed, he got some good prices. Good images helped as well.
  • Options
    Funny, no one bothered mentioning that the 31 D has been whizzed. $103? Someone is in for a future shock!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Funny, no one bothered mentioning that the 31 D has been whizzed. $103? Someone is in for a future shock! >>

The seller does state the coin may have been cleaned (which it clearly has).

• Options

<< <i>Would love to have a complete matched set that looked just like that 35 D
    I Like the look of that coin!

35 D >>

Personally, I love the look of the 1912-P.

And then there's the 1921-P with some serious wood!

• Options
    i didn`t look at all he sold but of the ones linked here the first set coins look original. some of the second set look "conserved" market acceptable to me. JMO
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    The '35-D is a 67? Lovely.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you look at your coins on the dinner table...one of the keys to the series looks like it was put away with 2 grains of salt on the reverse...pity.

1931-s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file