Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade: 1851-O Three Cent Silver version... (grade revealed)

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a really really hard time grading these, let's see what you guys think about this one:

imageimage

NO CHEATING if you already know the answer!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    VF30?

I'm a blind pig in grading this series.
  • Options
    VF-20

I have no experience with this series, but I really like the 1851 O issue.

Nice Piece!
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    F-18 ?
    I havn`t studied that series in awhile
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Solid 25
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF-25.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first impression is that the coin would have gone the "environmental damage" route instead of a straight grade.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

Dan
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no experiance with these but I would guess VF25 based on general detail.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first impression is that the coin would have gone the "environmental damage" route instead of a straight grade. >>

I agree, although if it was given a straight grade, I would guess VF20.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    vf30
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first impression is that the coin would have gone the "environmental damage" route instead of a straight grade. >>

My thought as well.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F details.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a really really hard time grading these, let's see what you guys think about this one:

imageimage

NO CHEATING if you already know the answer!!!!!!!!!

image >>

Me too-VF-35 is my guess. You have grades all over the board from f-ef.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Me too-VF-35 is my guess. You have grades all over the board from f-ef. >>

Was expecting some variation in the grades, but that's quite the range... image

I'll give the morning crowd a chance to play before revealing the answer image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was expecting some variation in the grades, but that's quite the range... image >>

These are some of the toughest coins to grade out there, at least to me...

I was thinking VF-20 details, give or take.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF20 with unattractive toning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF...ish.

I'm lukewarm about the toning on this piece but love the little "O" on there. The one-and-only mintmarked trime has carried a mystique for me for some time. I've not yet owned one.

Despite the less than stellar toning, I do not dislike this coin. It's all right.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grade - Genuine, VF Details.
    Guessing NGC straight graded it VF25
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Thanks for the guesses... here's the Teletrade photo of the slab:

I'm not really in love with the toning on the coin, but I don't hate it either. I just really like 1851-O three cent pieces so I'm always looking for them. Like I said, I have a hard time grading these coins, but when I first saw this auction I immediately felt the coin looked undergraded by at least a couple of grades. Based on most of the guesses it seems I'm not the only one. Perhaps a gold sticker will be on this one someday image

Thanks again image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The thing about 3cS's is that they don't have as much intricate detail providing a large variation of differential wear patters,
    as seen on most other series. In essence, I would call this series one of the most difficult series to grade, up there with the
    incuse Indian Quarter and Half-Eagles. IMO, non-numeric grades of PR, FR, AG, G, VG, F, VF, EF, AU, MS should be used.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can show you the difference between a VF-20 and a VF-25 with absolute confidence.

I still think that piece is/was undergraded, so nice snag image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin and think VF minimum if not nicer. The dies for these things had so much die clash damage that I'm amazed any of them looked nice.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was VF myself.

Good for you.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F12 is too low. I think you can easily sell it for vf+ money. Most three cent silvers in grades lower than vf/xf have some sort of damage or are bent or scratched or something else. I am in the middle of the road also on this one. If I needed a circulated one I certainly would buy it. It is both attractive and unattractive at the same time-if that is possible. These 3 cent silvers are just not very attactive in grades below xf in most cases. PCGS probably will not grade it. I do like it. JMO-Bob
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it's a low-end VF, and I could overlook the funky toning.

Perhaps the toning and the low NGC grade scared some potential competitors off and helped you get it at a friendlier price, though.

So it's all good, I guess. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    That "funky" toning that Lord M refers to is funkengroovin! (LOL!). I believe that the 75% silver alow contributes to the often seen splotchinesss on these coins.

That is a cool date, and I like to put it into my obverse MM type set, although technically the MM is on the "reverse" of these strange rascals.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I was watching this one on TT as I too like the 1851-O 3CS. I almost threw in a bid, but saw it moving up at the end. But it went to a good home with illini.

My impression on the coin was that it has the details of a VF, but was net-graded down to F12 due to the appearance that borders on environmental damage (especially around the 10 o'clock point on the star).
  • Options
    Funkengroovin. Hm. Izzat anything like Fahrvergnügen? image

Yeah, you have a point. I tend to forget that these were only .750 fine. Just like War nickels (.350 fine) tend to have funkier toning, I guess that could also be the issue with these, under certain conditions.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine, I wish it was toned, instead it's stripped. The seller called this coin Au and like the others inthis thread, I don't know enough about grading these to disagree.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, i think it's much higher than a 12. i was going to guess 35. i agree with lordm...i like the mint mark. cool coin!
  • Options

<< <i>Here's mine, I wish it was toned, instead it's stripped. The seller called this coin Au and like the others inthis thread, I don't know enough about grading these to disagree. >>

Sean, it's sad indeed that your coin is stripped, but hey... it's also ... clipped! Which, I suspect, is why you bought it.

I dunno about AU details there. Certainly the diamonds on the reverse are pretty sharp and well defined, but the weakness of the shield outline on the obverse makes me wonder how much of that is wear and how much of it is strike-related. What's up with the lettering? Is there some doubling there, or just mushy strike? Interesting.

PS- here is a slabbed AU for general comparison, though not an O-mint. And of course it's a Type 2 and not a Type 1 like the 1851-O.

Eh. Never mind. That picture is about worthless. Sorry.

Here- let's try the PCGS/Photograde exemplar for AU50. It's a Type 1.

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>Funkengroovin. Hm. Izzat anything like Fahrvergnügen? image

Yeah, you have a point. I tend to forget that these were only .750 fine. Just like War nickels (.350 fine) tend to have funkier toning, I guess that could also be the issue with these, under certain conditions. >>

Hey, wasn't their some really attractive looking German blonde girl saying that in a VW ad years ago? image Glad to have our resident world language and darkside master on board!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    No hot German blondie here... just some dude. image

But... yeah. Funkengroovin, Fahrvergnügen... whatever. (I had to Wiki it to get the spelling right and the little umlauts over the U.) image

Oops. Sorry. We've strayed a bit from 1851-O trimes, haven't we? As you were.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this one raw, from eBay, probably dipped and has a little obv. planchet flaw:

not sure what, or if, it would grade.
  • Options
    Kaz, I think that one might have a shot. The only question I would have about its gradeability is how harsh they would judge the dip job.

• Options
    I have one of those in PCGS VG10, Paid to much but always wanted one
  • Options
    Anybody want to GTG (no fair looking it up!)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf(pick a #)?
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody want to GTG (no fair looking it up!)

The obverse looks VF to me, but the reverse looks VG.
  • Options
    Claychaser- I like that one the best of all so far! You don't see many CircCam trimes!

• Options
    Thanks again for all of the comments image

Very nice coin claychaser!!! Already saw that coin in the PCGS Photograde when I was trying to figure out the grade of mine... didn't know it was yours!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file