Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Joe Willie Namath Special on HBO

I had free HBO last weekend and watched the a new hour and a half biography on Joe Willie Namath. HBO did a great job putting the show together. If you get a chance to watch it I highly recomend it.

Maybe I knew and just forgot but he blew his knee out the 5th game of his senior season (he still played in several of the games afterward) and didn't get it operated on until after he was signed by the Jets. One of his Alabama teammates said that it is a shame that most people never saw a healthy Namath play.

A couple other things I thought was interesting was one of the coaches for the Jets said he could close his eyes and hear Namath throw the ball. The other was Don Maynard saying the he and the rest of the receivers consistently had bruises on their arms and chest from catching Joe's footballs. They said he threw such a tight spiral that the point of the football would nail them. Maynard said it was like getting hit with a hammer.

I bet it would have been a ball to hang out with Joe Willie in the late 60's/early 70's. He really seems like a geniunely nice guy.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very well done!
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Great show!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wanted to watch it and forgot all about it. Hopefully I'll get the chance to watch it down the road.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I saw the previews but I missed it due to parent duties. I'm sure it will be on again, but thanks Mark for letting me know it would be worth my time.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I set it up on my DVR and watched it last night after everyone had gone to bed....HBO never makes a bad sports doc IMO

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    its on right now,, 12 noon est, it'll repeat for the left coast in a couple hours,j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>its on right now,, 12 noon est, it'll repeat for the left coast in a couple hours,j >>

I'm at work. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>its on right now,, 12 noon est, it'll repeat for the left coast in a couple hours,j >>

THANKS! Just turned it on. Still almost an hour to go.

Edited to add: Perfect timing ... just starting the SUPER BOWL.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HBO never makes a bad sports doc IMO >>

That's exactly right.