Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Passionate Collectors

Just wanted to thank the active posting by forum members who's postings I follow. Always great to see these informative posts at day's end!

Names that come to mind as contributors - Sincere apologies if I left someone out !

JCMHouston
TwoKopeiki
LordMarcovan
BidAsk
CoinKat
FilthyBroke
Syracusian
WyBrit
Harasha
Hussulo
1960NYGiants
WorldCoinGuy (Return pending)

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Zohar.

And I nominate you be included on that list. Your write ups on Shooters and other Talers are image

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Hey, I made it on a list!image

Thanks, Zohar. Of course I always enjoy reading your posts, too. You and the others on the list drive us little guys to work harder on our collections.

Keep up the great work!image
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody would join a message board (or more than one) on a topic unless they were passionate about it...casual fans/collectors just don't have that much interest. Just my experience from 12 years of message board posting.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've enjoyed you too, Zohar. Thanks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Z. There are a lot of folks that should be on that list, but have been yeti for a while. I hope they at least read the forums, if not actively posting.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Zohar. You should have made the top of that list along with Roman and Jeff, judging from your posts from the past two years.

As for me, you kinda caught me on the way out. I sometimes wish that the atmosphere in my field of coin collecting were as gentlemanly and nice as it is here at the Darkside. But I'm afraid that it is not and that it is getting worse by the year. Competitive to a sickening level, and full of blows below the belt.

This leaves me with two options: take a long time out, or take a permanent time out. I wish I could do the latter, but collectors are born, not made.... That ,the effort I have put in my current collection, and the refreshing Darkside along with its members, are the things that still keep me in this hobby.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Well thanks, and you need to quit showing pics of those Austrian Thalers. Every time you post new ones I get this urge to add a few to my collection, and I can't afford any more collecting areas.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimitri that will be a real shame as your comments/postings are always informative and pleasant. It's a shame that is has gotten to be competitive yet I guess this happens when this becomes an investment for many rather than a collecting passion.

Please do maintain a presence.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Z,

I agree you should be on the list as I always enjoy your Taler's and learning about them as well as the post of other members on and off the list. I haven't been able to contribute much lately as I have been busy with other projects but I still pop around to the forum now and again to have a quick read.

Regards,
    Hus
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thirst at the font of knowledge; not the fountain I.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Put Zohar at the top of the list, Zohar. image And Dimitri, the place just wouldn't be the same without you, so I hope you reconsider.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Put Zohar at the top of the list, Zohar. image And Dimitri, the place just wouldn't be the same without you, so I hope you reconsider. >>

Ditto and ditto. Dimitri, have you thought about starting a small side-collection? I would love to have another person to chat with about Mexican 8 Reales image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar is hereby added

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well thanks, and you need to quit showing pics of those Austrian Thalers. Every time you post new ones I get this urge to add a few to my collection, and I can't afford any more collecting areas. >>

Totally agree with you, I am still regretting not nabbing that Three Brothers taler while I had the chance.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Good post. I look forward to each and every post I read from you guys. Maybe I can contribute more when I get my own confidence to post my passion. Wait for it, wait for it,.... image -Dan
    Thanks Zohar, but I agree with your original list. I am not so great at contributing to the discussions. I do understand that most on the list are very good about commenting and adding to the discussions that are beyond us casual commenters/ contributers. I have the utmost respect for you guys and look forward to the knowledge you can give to the boards. I wished that I were more confident to share my own passion of collecting even if I am in an area that I feel is the black sheep of collecting. I would not change your original post whatsoever. I would, however, like to add Spoon's name even if he has not contributed in a while. He knows his area of focus and was excellent with his conveying such.

I will remain an active forum member and comment as I feel I can contribute. When I feel comfortable with my own ability to contribute, I will. Thanks. -Dan
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo Hoo
    Well I gotta work harder to make the list one day. LOL
    Seriously, thanks to all the contributors that can make these boards come alive.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

• << <i> I wished that I were more confident to share my own passion of collecting even if I am in an area that I feel is the black sheep of collecting. >>

Hmm..that's seldom stopped me from posting, like it or not.image I figure these guys will straighten me out when I'm on the wrong track. I sometimes regret my own posts, and unfortunately I'm often wrong, but it's a learning experience and I figure that stepping in here once in a while is my best shot at learning.

And I seek out the "black sheep" areas of collecting, can you tell?image
    Who could forget you 7Jaguars! image BTW, do you collect cars?
    FB, I only wished that I were in your area of collecting. I love jetons, but I never had the chance to come across the ones in your collection. I find the series very nice and if I had not already found my own niche collection, I would probably be competition! image -Dan
    Going back to Dimitri's note - I have yet to see a confrontational/competitive thread. This is a very pleasant place to be.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well gotta get by with one car these days as sole custodian to a just-turned 3 year old. LOL!
    Also got the nomen as I am 6th gen Californian and 7th would have been my son (xpt he was born in Tejas, er, Texas)

Love those E-type cabrios though!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops.. we forgot MacCrimmon

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup very little confrontation here indeed...

Many are passionate but few have the time to spend more time or delve more...unfortunately I easily fall into that category.

I agree with the list and believe you Z belong there too.
    Forgot Ocho and Marc - I APOLOGIZE !!
  • Once my health improves, I'll be sure to post more than pics. I have a lot of info in my head, just little time and ability to type it. SOMEDAY, SOON!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the best forums on the net and it's obviously the people and their
    passion that make it this. The knowledge here is remarkably deep. It seems that
    no matter how esoteric the question, someone will know the answer. Often it's
    several people know the answer.

I thought I knew a little about world coins until I came here and found it was very
    little.
    Tempus fugit.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of good ones that are mentioned here (and many not mentioned). I've been here so little lately that I'm surprised I made the list.

Zohar needs to be near the top, I agree.

Two others I might add that have not been mentioned yet: RobP and cacheman
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.