Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hamilton show newp.

1821/22 Guadalajara 8 Reales. This is a set of pre-acetone pictures to remove the PVC on the obverse.

With the light straight down, highlighting the PVC and detail of the date

Angled towards the light to show the color

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Thats a very strong overdate, congrats.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    From your comments on your coin in the Hamilton CAND thread and your thoery about the repunch. My personal opinion is that they really wouldn't care what date went on the coin and they used what they had. I don't know if they had the hub or or master punch for making a working die as "18" or "182" or "1822" but, in any case, either the 2 on the hub broke and they had to handpunch the first 2 in and then broke the "2" punch and used what they had (a 1) ... or they just ran out of punches and used what they had to clean up what the hub left on the first press or two. It takes/took 3-4 strikes with the hub (in relief) to make the incuse elements into the working die. The relief design elements on the hub are quite fragile and break easily .. portions that have been broken are then replaced with handpunches to finish the working dies. The underpunch of the first 2 looks like it was struck with a partially broken hub and then handpunched, offset from the underpunch. The 1 over the 2 for the final digit was due to using what tool was on-hand .. I'm sure that not all the floor workers had full sets of anything tool-like, nor were they the brightest bulbs in the pack .. I would guess slave labor or one rung above that. I don't think that QC or correct dating parameters were on the top of their to-do list.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone cleaned-up PVC nicely.