Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help on US/Philippines Set please

Good morning.
I rarely post on this forum, but I have been unable to find any information on this set I picked up years ago. I liked it because I saw the history behind the coins - Philippines at the end of WWII, coins minted at Denver and San Francisco, and put together in a set with packaging similar to the way the mint did the early 1950's proofs.

Problem is, I don't see any info on a set like this in any reference book I have. Coins are
1 centavo - 1944s copper
5 centavos - 1945s copper/nickel
10 centavos - 1945d silver
20 centavos - 1945d silver
50 centavos - 1945s silver

total silver content is about a half an ounce.

Anyway, were these put together sets or issued by the US or Philippine Mint? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Also, any idea of value?

Here are a few pics of the set in the cello bags and one side of the 50 centavo coin.

thanks

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Comments

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Without the aid of a reference book, I recall that the 1c, 5c, 10, 20c & 50c were minted in P, D & S during the 44-45 period (Manila Mint was not operational during WWII). Large mintages readily available in high MS grades. Maybe worth a couple bucks each raw. Superb examples certified in 66-67 can bring as much as $100/each and there are a few varieties. Definitely no proofs. I don't recall if the mints sold these as collector sets, but I don't think so.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Such sets were not U.S. officially sold. Many such sets were put together in various packagings for sale by private enterprises.

Although, The philippine government central bank in the early 50's issued such sets in packaging that looked like the packaging that our early 50's proof sets came in though they were not proofs. they were in cello envelopes as these are stapled onto a card and inserted in an envelope marked from the central bank.

I believe also these coins/ dates were given raw to the Philippine re-invasion soldiers of the 6th Army, along with one and two peso
    currency notes ( U.S. printed and overprinted with the word "Victory" on the reverse ) to spend in the country. Many were kept as souveniers (coins and currency) by the soldiers as my father did.

Krueger
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the resonses thus far.
    I did know these were not proofs - just that the packaging is very similar.

And I didn't expect that these would bring moon money if sold, but if they are worth a little above melt, so be it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Have you checked the red book? I know they have a section in the back about US-Philippine coins

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

While this was a resurrected 7 year-old thread, it did prompt me to read about the re-invasion currency notes and I learned something new - thanks!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    Such sets were not U.S. officially sold. Many such sets were put together in various packagings for sale by private enterprises.

Although, The philippine government central bank in the early 50's issued such sets in packaging that looked like the packaging that our early 50's proof sets came in though they were not proofs. they were in cello envelopes as these are stapled onto a card and inserted in an envelope marked from the central bank.

I believe also these coins/ dates were given raw to the Philippine re-invasion soldiers of the 6th Army, along with one and two peso
    currency notes ( U.S. printed and overprinted with the word "Victory" on the reverse ) to spend in the country. Many were kept as souveniers (coins and currency) by the soldiers as my father did.

Krueger

US soldiers stationed there were paid in the local currency. They could convert it to regular US currency when they left for the US. One Peso was worth 50 US cents.

All glory is fleeting.