Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Common German Empire Coins at a Premium!

Get a load of the price these common coins are up to!
Am I missing some sort of prized, rare coin in this collection....I've been through it and found nothing spectacular to warrant the bidding on this set.

E-Bay Link

Just for comparison.....

Here's a link from E-Bay Germany, 546 coins....

E-Bay Germany link

Here's another.....over 6 KILO'S!

Another German E-Bay Link

Comments

• Options
    seems to be just scrap german silver "salted" into junk copper and Aluminum stuff...
  • Options
    I have noticed lately that German coins are running higher than Krause prices. Especially high end coins. However there are still some deals out there yet. I bid $17.50(no postage) for a 1915f 1/2 mark with a double date and a 1918f 1/2 mark with heavy clashing on both sides. Both coins are BU. Together they list for $92.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    High-end German coins may still do well, but I have trouble selling any German Kaiserreich minors for even a fraction of Krause.
  • Options
    MAybe they are all investing in hard currency for when Greece, Spain, and Italy crash...
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I am not so sure I follow your idea of premium money for the coins in the collections. They are only going for a little over a buck a coin. WHy would tgis be considered a premium?
  • Options
    Beats me too. Seems like a decent collection for the money. I can't buy anything like it for that price at my two brick and morters. Around hear german coins are going for almost krause. Especially silver.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is difficult to value this given the pictures-sorry

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    It should be noted that the seller in the first link is very well known with a large following of clients, a very good seller!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO that was a bargain if you are in to this stuff.
    there are some interesting rarities in that whole lot.
    I bet if the buyer sells 30 of the top coins he has his $$ back plus plenty extra....
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One should never underestimate the positive effect that a few neatly labeled 2x2 holders can have, either.

As an example of that, I was favorably surprised at the result of this 12-piece lot I recently sold. It was the first eBay true auction I've had in a while that didn't disappoint me. I didn't need to image the coins individually, but with big enough scans of them all in 2x2s and a plastic page, it was sufficient for the buyers to see what was in the lot without so much guesswork. A little bit of organization can pay off.

The fact that the seller of those German coins in the first OP link did the same thing suggests that maybe it paid off for him as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I think LordM nailed it - that and the first lot the OP refers to does have a good number of German States coins - these seem to do far better in my auctions than mid-grade kaiserreich material.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a YN who comes into my shop. He knows I submit a few coins that are darkside. He brought me a coin and asked if I'd get it into a PCGS holder (he didn't actually say PCGS, he asked if I'd get it "slabbed").

Could someone tell me if this is worth it ? I don't think so , but what do I know ?
    I'd rather save the kid some money even if he can afford it.
    Sorry for "hijacking". It's not my intent. Looking for guidance.

Thanks

• Options
    2S2AC- that piece is cataloged under German New Guinea, KM1. One pfennig, 1894-A. A one-year type struck in copper. 33,000 minted.

My somewhat-dated 4th Edition (ca. 2004) Krause lists it for $20.00 F, $40.00 VF, $90.00 XF, and $150.00 UNC.

So yes, I would say that is slabworthy. I can't make out the pics too well on my crummy old monitor, but it looks high grade; XF+ to AU if not Brown UNC?

So yeah, it's worth slabbing. There's probably some demand for those.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you LM. There is a bit of verdigris in or near the devices in a few areas. Unsure if such will prevent a grade or warrant a "genuine". I will send it in and appreciate the feedback here.
  • Options
    You could soak the coin in mineral oil or smear it with Vaseline and then gently work at the verdigris spots with a wooden toothpick or hardened rose thorn to see if it comes off. Neither of those should be hard enough to scratch the metal unless you're overagressive about it, and they might offer enough mechanical advantage to remove a little crud. Then wipe clean with a soft cloth and submit it. I'm a fan of the Vaseline wipe for removing loose grime off copper anyway. I've never had a bad result with it, personally. As long as you don't wipe too hard when you remove it, it should take off any loose surface grime without affecting the coin's natural color. But of course it doesn't always cure stubborn verdigris spots. Like acetone, petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or mineral oil are both fairly safe, "neutral" cleaning media, in my opinion.

Of course any such treatment like that would have to be with the permission of your YN friend, if he is still the owner of it.