Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about Vrenelli Swiss Franc

I am new to this forum and was hoping it could give me some solid advice on a coin I have had for some time.

It is a Swiss Vrenelli 1947 B, is in good condition, but someone in the family decided to make a necklace out of it instead of keeping it as a coin. The placeholders are not welded or mended any way to the coin, rather they seem fitted to it. The necklace has two markings on it: one is (so I can read) a "/50" and the other just seems to be just two indentions of the same proportion.

Does anyone have any idea what the coin is worth? Does the necklace ruin its possible value? I have looked it up several times, but I am not sure which websites would be reliable indicators and which ones are just full of hot air. The link below is to pictures, because the forum doesn't allow pictures over 50k.

http://imgur.com/a/0oU2O

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    an actual link to the pictures....

pix (linkified)

since the coin has been used in the necklace, and you wouldn't be able to remove the posts w/o damage to the coin (at least in my estimation), the coin is worth the melt value of the gold and has no numismatic value beyond that.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Heres one listed on eBay in UNcirculated,
    I dont think these coins have much (extra) collectors value, probably only bullion value, so condition is not very important.
    vrenelli
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭
    What Andres said.....the pictured coin has a light amount of rub, so the most you'd get would be melt.

Apmex would be a buyer at about $313 per coin if you meet certain mins. Your local B&M guy should likewise offer between $300-315 with gold bid at $1706.

BTW, that Vreneli looks kinda neat in that bezel as it lends a somewhat art deco look.

Also, the 1947 date (or any other WWI-WWII era date) would need to be graded MS66/67 to garner much of a premium over melt these days.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    /50 is imo 750 which is 18k gold or 75% pure gold. Weigh the necklace, subtract the weight of the coin, and do the math. It looks like a nice piece and I would try to sell intact. It would cost a lot to make that piece today. A nice chunk of change at $1700 gold.
  • Options
    Wow that is quite a surprise actually. I wouldn't mind just selling it, but it would be nice to sell it someone who might actually enjoy its style. Any ideas on the best method to do so? I am extremely amateur at this and don't want to just walk into a jeweler and sell its weight in gold. I would appreciate any advice!
  • Options
    Weigh it first so you know exactly what you have. Do you have coin shows in your area? You should get close to 90% of spot from a bullion dealer. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hey thanks again for the advice. I live in Berlin and apparently next week there is the World Money Fair Here

Do you know of it? Would it be possible to sell it there?
  • Options
    Here are new and better pictures. Perhaps you can see something I cannot. I can already tell it is much more worn than I thought.
  • Options
    No chance to sell it at a money fair , its a piece of jewelry , not something for coin collectors.
    my advice would be to sell it for scrap value, rough estimate: weight in gramms x 40 euro x 0.75
    lots of buyers for scrap gold, check your local ads.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuensche ich haette zeit nach Berlin zu Kommen...die show soll sehr gut sein
    H
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    I wish I could attend, also. Looks like moderate wear on the 20Fr. To protect yourself, know exactly what you have for sale. Knowledge is power. Fin
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's advice on this. If I did attempt to sell it, it does seem logical to sell it as jewelry rather than a 'coin.' But how I would go about doing that I am still not sure (anyone know a place to sell jewelry like this?). But 'worst comes to worst' I can just sell it for its gold value. I have the time to wait though and it seems worth trying to sell for a bit more.

@YQQ Soll gut sein. Ob ich die Zeit habe, ist aber auch die Frage.
  • Options
    Vielleicht in Altstad Berlin , in eine Laden für Antiquarische Juwelen / gebrauchte Kleinoden ? Hinterlegung basis
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat bezel, actually. Whatever you do, I say leave the coin in there. It's certainly worth more with the bezel. But you knew that by now.

It has passed from the numismatic realm into being a piece of bullion and/or jewelry, but there's nothin' wrong with that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.