Home Sports Talk
Options

Tigers and Fielder agree to terms

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sweet. I think. MJ

Reported 9 years, 214 bones
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    crazy. The Tigres will now have 3 outstanding options at DH come September.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Never saw that coming. Seriously, no clue. But hey, I'm not complaining. image
  • Options

<< <i>Never saw that coming. Seriously, no clue. But hey, I'm not complaining. image >>

I though it might happen. The Tiger's obviously wanted to improve their team speed.

Illitch obviously wants to win now. This is where some of the Mag's/Guillen money is being spent.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Never saw that coming. Seriously, no clue. But hey, I'm not complaining. image >>

I though it might happen. The Tiger's obviously wanted to improve their team speed.

Illitch obviously wants to win now. This is where some of the Mag's/Guillen money is being spent.

MJ >>

I just can't believe they intend on moving Miggy back to third. Seems he's a bit too fat to play there now. Guess he'll have to stop drinkin'. LOL. The last Fielder here did quite well, so I hope the same is true for Prince.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Tigers bats will see immediate improvement especially in the next four to five years. My concern are years six through nine in that contract. Given Fielder's physique who knows how productive or healthy he will be at that time. He may surprise but he also has an excellent chance of becoming one of the highest paid gimpy-knees benchwarmers in baseball.

If I was a ball club GM I'd give him more money per year but perhaps a five or six year deal instead.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This looks like a desperation signing by an aging owner who wants to see the Tigers hoist a trophy before he dies. I should be amazed that a team that's relying on Max Scherzer to be their #2 starter would decide to kick out $200m on an obese power-hitting DH, but I've lived in Detroit long enough such that I'm no longer surprised by any of this team's personnel moves.

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Fielder? Mo Vaughn Part II
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Illitch obviously wants to win now.

yep, a 3-4 year window all things considered

J.Peralta (2012 with a club option for 2013)
    Verlander (FA 2014)
    Scherzer (FA 2014)
    V-Mart (FA 2014)
    Cabrera (FA 2015)

<< <i>If I was a ball club GM I'd give him more money per year but perhaps a five or six year deal instead. >>

in most cases you'd be a club GM that would lose out on the majority of your free agent targets in that scenario. Especially if you call Detroit home where you generally have to trade for (Cabrera) or overpay to get a marquee player to sign there. Several teams wanted Fielder on a 5 or 6 year deal but obviously Boras wasn't having any of that. Otherwise Fielder could have taken a one year deal and then hit the market again next year where the Dodgers and possibly the Mets will have their ownership situations remedied and could provide Fielder with similar type future Pujols /A-rod/Mauer albatross type contracts that Illitch and Dombrowski just shelled out.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fat, slow, out of shape baseball players sure seem to like Detroit.
    Must be more McDonalds', Burger Kings', Wendys', etc. in Detroit than most cities.
    That probably played a factor in Fielder's decision.
  • Options
    <yep, a 3-4 year window all things considered

J.Peralta (2012 with a club option for 2013)
    Verlander (FA 2014)
    Scherzer (FA 2014)
    V-Mart (FA 2014)
    Cabrera (FA 2015)>

If I'm not mistaken the Tiger's have a real favorable contract with Fister as well. Velander-Fister-Scherzer is not a bad 1-2-3. Jacob Turner can grow into the 4-5 spot.

Fieder's fat must keep his knee's well lubricated I guess. Not to jinx him but he has played in 99% of his teams games.

MJ
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    This will go down as the worst single signing in the history of sports.

I'm so depressed. They had EVERYTHING in place for a bright future and just peed it away.
  • Options
    correct. Fister isn't even arbitration eligible until 2013 so he won't reach free agency until 2016 at the earliest. As for Turner, he'll probably be your #2 by 2013. Porcello will likely be gone after this season, but one would have to imagine Andy Oliver at worst can fill his shoes. He has a #3 starter ceiling and who knows, maybe you'll have two more middle to back end of the rotation guys in Casey Crosby and Drew Smyly.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Since he pitches to the score, I'm thinking that Jack Morris may re-sign with the Tigers. Since they should score a lot of runs, this will give him a chance at 300 wins and he will start the clock over on his Hall of Fame eligibility.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>This will go down as the worst single signing in the history of sports.

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!!
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

Give it time!
  • Options

<< <i>Since he pitches to the score, I'm thinking that Jack Morris may re-sign with the Tigers. Since they should score a lot of runs, this will give him a chance at 300 wins and he will start the clock over on his Hall of Fame eligibility. >>

Now that's funny right there!
  • Options
    I wont mind the 3 hour drive to Detroit to be part of a World Series (bucket list) . My Indians are not going anytime soon. They are preparing to sell the team. Mark my word.........um Mr Gilbert, this is where you chime in. In Dan I trust.

A far as the signing. Unreal. Detroit has a awesome park, and alot going on for the city/downtown. I have been there twice in the past few years and enjoy it. This signing is going to do ALOT for the city of Detroit.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

I want this signed on a 11x14
  • Options
    <I wont mind the 3 hour drive to Detroit to be part of a World Series (bucket list) . My Indians are not going anytime soon. They are preparing to sell the team. Mark my word.........um Mr Gilbert, this is where you chime in. In Dan I trust>

There is irony. Dan Gilbert owns half of the buildings surrounding Commerica. MJ
  • Options
    well played
  • Options
    When is the NL going to officially become the AAA affiliate of the AL?

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    well no matter what the tigers are trying and im glad they signed him...it seems like a fair amount of people dont like this move but at least there trying...i have lived through the horrible lions and tiger teams now maybe things will turn around the only consistant team we have had over the years has been the red wings...go tigers
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

So does Mike Hampton.

Tabe
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

So does Mike Hampton.

Tabe >>

The Howard and Hampton deals were perfectly reasonable. I don't know why you're being so critical.

Sincerely,

Jon Koncak
  • Options
    How dare you leave me out of this discussion. How dare you.

Warmest regards,

Carlos Silva
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>How dare you leave me out of this discussion. How dare you.

Warmest regards,

Carlos Silva >>

Just checking in

-----Chan Ho Park
  • Options
    'Sup, bros?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

So does Pay-Rod. Twice.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

So does Pay-Rod. Twice. >>

Rangers recovered no problem by dumping Pay-Rod, Yankees cannot have a bad signing because they have the money to recover anytime they want. But, to your point, has there ever been a MLB contract worth $15 million plus annually for more than 7 years that was "worth it" in the long run? There may have been, but I can't think of one.

The putridity of the Fielder deal won't be fully recognized until 2015 and beyond, 2018 - 2025 will be a disaster because of it.
  • Options
    You just don't like the Tigers because some people in the organization are Pro-Abortion...(sorry, couldn't resist) image

I'll take future disaster if we can win a World Series.

I do not mind the signing of Fielder. The thing that concerns me is the Tigers defense. Cabrerra and Peralta on the left side could be disaster. Not to mention Delmon Young hobbling around in left field behind them.

BTW: Fielder is either a vegetarian or a vegan (can't remember which).
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Ryan Howard says hi!! >>

So does Pay-Rod. Twice. >>

I hope Crawford doesn't prove himself worthy of the list this year image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<But, to your point, has there ever been a MLB contract worth $15 million plus annually for more than 7 years that was "worth it" in the long run? There may have been, but I can't think of one.>>>

It's only been 3 years, but Sabathia has probably earned every penny so far.

• Options

<< <i><<<But, to your point, has there ever been a MLB contract worth $15 million plus annually for more than 7 years that was "worth it" in the long run? There may have been, but I can't think of one.>>>

It's only been 3 years, but Sabathia has probably earned every penny so far. >>

didn't quite average $15M per year ($14.3M), but I'd venture to guess JortsNation felt Pujols' 7 year $100M contract was beneficial to their product.

edit to add: forgot about Beltran. Using the 1 WAR = $4.5M value as a baseline, Beltran was worth $133M over the term of his 7 year $119M contract.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But, to your point, has there ever been a MLB contract worth $15 million plus annually for more than 7 years that was "worth it" in the long run? There may have been, but I can't think of one. >>

I would argue A-Rod's original 10-yr/$252m deal was worth it. Over the 10 seasons that contract covered (yeah, I know it got re-worked and changed but work with me here...), he hit 424 HRs, drove in 1236 runs, and hit about .290. He won 3 MVPs and finished runner-up once. He won 2 Gold Gloves before being forced to change positions. His team won a World Series in 2009.

So, yeah, a guy who hits .290 with 42 HRs and 123 RBI every year for 10 straight years is worth his $252m contract.

<< <i>BTW: Fielder is either a vegetarian or a vegan (can't remember which). >>

Yeah, that's what he claims. Maybe it's even true. But he's also 300 lbs and not getting any lighter.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But, to your point, has there ever been a MLB contract worth $15 million plus annually for more than 7 years that was "worth it" in the long run? There may have been, but I can't think of one. >>

I would argue A-Rod's original 10-yr/$252m deal was worth it. Over the 10 seasons that contract covered (yeah, I know it got re-worked and changed but work with me here...), he hit 424 HRs, drove in 1236 runs, and hit about .290. He won 3 MVPs and finished runner-up once. He won 2 Gold Gloves before being forced to change positions. His team won a World Series in 2009.

So, yeah, a guy who hits .290 with 42 HRs and 123 RBI every year for 10 straight years is worth his $252m contract.

<< <i>BTW: Fielder is either a vegetarian or a vegan (can't remember which). >>

Yeah, that's what he claims. Maybe it's even true. But he's also 300 lbs and not getting any lighter.

Tabe >>

Doritos and Krispy Kreme are vegetarian. image

And again, just my personal opinion, but if Texas didn't win a Wold Series with A-Rod, I don't see how his contract could be worth it. You have to consider what five $5 million dollar players or three $8 million dollar players or some other combination of players that A-Rod's $25 million annually could have paid for to determine if the team would have been better off.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    The Manny Rameriz contract worked out for the Sox, but so far Crawford and Lackey have been just awful.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    the way the off season has gone, we'll next hear that scherzer is hurt and they are replacing him with Matt Cain via trade.....it hurts being an Indians fan....

al.