Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anyone translate the German on this ?

Comments

• Options
    Do you have the medal?
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is about the best I can do:

With God for the Emperor, King and the Father land

---------------------------------------------------------
    By order of His Majesty Emperor and King is this War remembrance Medal, made from Canons which were seized during this war, bestowed on to the Soldier......
    ********Johann Hofreuther******************
    This medal was presented by the undersigned In recognition of his loyal participation in our victorious misson 1870-1871.

Bamberg, 30. November 1871
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
    the signator was probably either a Governor or some high ranking military officer acting by order of the Emperor.
    I can not decypher that hand writing *****************as it is very hard to read.
    I assume it refers to this soldiers title in the military and his regiment ID.

good luck with it...
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Johann was a horse soldier in the royal german chevalleger (cavalry) 4th Regiment named ""Taxis""
    letter is signed by Oberst (colonel) Ghoberg

the 2 shields of the lady warriors, hold the names of french towns were battles took place.
    on the ground are the flags of the defeated french regiments of Emperor Napoleon the third

at least, thats what I think it says image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That all reads pretty close to me, really just a , thanks soldier for helping to kick some French butt, the Germans loved to celebrate that sort of thing you know.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That letter is so cool.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andres,
    does this at all have to do with "Thurn and Taxis"??
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Yes, must be. Thurn & Taxis, theres probably another regiment called Thurn .
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.