Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1929 1930 Rogers Peet set - Major addition to my set!

Found my new focus - 1930 Rogers Peet set
I finally completed the set I was working on (1923 Burstein Isaacs - Famous Prize Fighters), and I've been trying to figure a new set to focus my attention on. I love multi-sport sets, because you get such a variety of great athletes from the era. Also because I love boxing, golf and the occasional tennis card in additions to all of the major sports. So I narrowed the field to three sets: 1933 Goudey Sport Kings, 1932 US Caramel and 1930 Rogers Peet. I know the first two are already very popular sets, but for some reason I'm attracted to the Rogers Peet set. It's an American made set, under 50 cards, has an amazing checklist of athletes and a cool story behind it. Here are the names that make up the set:

1 Walter Hagen
2 John Weissmuller
3 De Hart Hubbard
4 Ray Conger
5 Dazzy Vance
6 Sabin Carr
7 John Van Ryn
8 Clarence Chamberlin
9 Raymond J. Barbuti
10 Lionel Conacher
11 Gene Tunney
12 Charles Lindbergh
13 Walter Johnson
14 H.O.D. Seagraves
15 Gar Wood
16 Rogers Hornsby
17 Percy Williams
18 Herb Pennock
19 Wilmer Allison
20 Francis Hunter
21 Charles W. Paddock
22 Frank Boucher
23 Richard E. Byrd
24 Bobby Jones
25 Jack Sharkey
26 Frank M. Hawks
27 Thomas Hitchc@ck Jr.
28 Lou Gehrig
29 Ching Johnson
30 Peter De Paolo
31 Red Grange
32 Walter Spence
33 Ken Strong
34 Ty Cobb
35 William Tilden
36 Jack Dempsey
37 Ed Wittmer
38 Tris Speaker
39 George Kojac
40 Maurice Mccarthy Jr.
41 Chris Cagle
42 Bill Burch
43 Ray Ruddy
44 Edward B. Hamm
45 Paavo Nurmi
46 Bill Melhorn
47 Max Schmeling
48 Babe Ruth

Does anyone have any experience building any of these sets? I'd love to eventually build all three of them, but I think the Rogers Peet might be an interesting challenge to take on.
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, as far as the golfers go, the Bill Melhorn is normally easy to find, the Jones and Hagen...BRUTAL.

If you come across either of those, I would be interested in purchasing image

Good Luck, it is a cool set.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input, Dave. I actually picked up a nice Melhorn last weekend. I've never even seen the Bobby Jones, but hearing that and the Jones and Hagen are brutal from a guy that knows his golf cards is a little scary. Like I said, this should be an interesting adventure in collecting.
    Jeff
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on a tough set.
    Here is an example for those that aren't familiar. This card sold at REA last May for $1410.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Thank you, Jim. Cool card. That's on the "want list".
    Jeff
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Did you read (or might you be the author) of the article on the set in the current issue of Gridiron Greats?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    This is a real tough set. I'm still looking for the Ruth and Gehrig from this set. Only time I've seen these for sale in the last couple of years was a part of a complete set in the Legendary auction about a year ago that went for nearly 6K. Link Good luck.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you read (or might you be the author) of the article on the set in the current issue of Gridiron Greats? >>

I definitely didn't write it, but I'd be interested to read it. Do you have a link, by chance?
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>This is a real tough set. I'm still looking for the Ruth and Gehrig from this set. Only time I've seen these for sale in the last couple of years was a part of a complete set in the Legendary auction about a year ago that went for nearly 6K. Link Good luck. >>

It's definitely going to be a challenge to complete, but that's part of the fun IMO. I picked up several of the cards (none of the biggies) this weekend. I'll post them here when they arrive.
    Jeff
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The magazine is at gridirongreats.net. The link for that issue is here. It is the article on football rarities (as there are quite a few football cards in that set).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link - I look forward to reading it.

Jeff
  • Options
    I'm finally getting around to posting some pickups I've made from this set. I have a few at PSA right now, but here's several that I recently won auctions - starting with my personal favorite - the Gene Tunney card...

I'll try to post new scan as I come across new additions to my set.

Jeff
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I managed to pick up the Rogers Peet Gehrig card at the recent Legendary auction for an arm and a leg. At least, it's a pretty unique image of Gehrig.

• Options
    That's a killer card you picked up, my friend. I was watching that auction. It went for a lot, but I rarely see that card available - so I think it was worth it. I'm really excited to get the Cobb I recently purchased from the REA auction.

Congrats on grabbing that Gehrig!
    Jeff
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>Did you read (or might you be the author) of the article on the set in the current issue of Gridiron Greats? >>

John Spano wrote that, he writes alot of great articles for GG. If you're a football fan and you dont subscribe to Gridiron Great, you're not really a football fan. image

Im working on the football set of the Rogers Peet, here is my Grange.

Rogers Peet are tough, they were handed out to kids as a promotion to be redeemed for gifts, in an attempt to get kids to purchase more. You glued them to a booklet and redeemed for a prize. So you typically find them with glue residue on the back.
  • Options
    Cool Grange card! The football players seem to be among the hardest cards to find from this set.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Looking at the cert #'s of the Gehrig and Grange, I think both cards were part of the same Rogers Peet complete set that sold on Legendary last year. That was a sweet Rogers Peet Cobb for a nice price. One that was just a half grade higher at 8.5 sold for almost twice as much last year: Link
  • Options
    Thank you - I appreciate it. I got a door tag from FedEx today, so I'll hopefully have a new scan to add to the thread this weekend.
    Jeff
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I managed to pick up the Rogers Peet Gehrig card at the recent Legendary auction for an arm and a leg. At least, it's a pretty unique image of Gehrig.

image >>

I've never seen this card before, very cool picture of Gehrig.
  • Options
    Finally got the new addition in today. I look forward to crossing this into a PSA slab soon!
    Thanks for letting me share.

Jeff
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a fine card there!!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm very excited to own my first Ty Cobb card.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just sent out a crossover submission hoping to get all of my SGC Rogers Peet's into PSA slabs. Wish me luck! I'll report back with results.

Jeff
  • Options
    This was a crossover submission - cards formerly in SGC holders...

NEAR MINT 7 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 23 RICHARD E. BYRD Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 10 LIONEL CONACHER Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 46 BILL MELHORN Card
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 18 HERB PENNOCK Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 11 GENE TUNNEY Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 30 PETER DE PAOLO Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 42 BILL BURCH Card
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1929-1930 ROGERS PEET 35 WILLIAM TILDEN
    Jeff
  • Options
    Congrats on the poppage, Jeff. Did you leave the Cobb in the SGC holder or try to cross that one over also?
  • Options

<< <i> Did you leave the Cobb in the SGC holder or try to cross that one over also? >>

I haven't tried the Cobb yet. To be honest with you - it looks better than an 8 to me, and PSA is pretty tough on SGC crossovers. If I cross the Cobb, I wouldn't settle for less than a PSA 8. I'm still up in the air on this one, because I'm a little scared to crack it out.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Hi! I actually have the following Rogers Peet cards. I won them on Ebay a few years back for $125.00. I was an avid error collector and now a Topps Unissued Collector. But, this is a cool collection. Not graded yet but in very nice shape. Not sure they would grade a 6 but perhaps a 4-5. Corners are slightly rounded but hard to see with naked eye. No stains, backs are very clean, and centering varies but mostly relatively good. I noticed that the PSA graded command more than the SGC. I intend to get these graded soon. Just one further note: When I won them, they were not listed as Rogers Peet and I had no clue what they were or if they were reprints. It took me two years to identify them. I can't imagine that they are reprints/fakes. The seller was selling stuff from a estate sale. One of my lucky grabs! Thanks!
    *Lou Gehrig
    *Rogers Hornsby
    *Walter Johnson
    *Herb Pennock
    *Jack Sharkey
    *Com. Richard E. Byrd
    *Maurice McCarthy, Jr.
    *Walter Hagen
    *Sabin Carr
    *Ed Whttmer
    *Bill Burch
    *Ray Conger
  • Options
    Let me know if you're interested in selling any of those - jeff@packgeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Picked up three new additions for my RP set. Sorry for the crummy picture - I haven't had a chance to scan them yet.

New additions:
    Walter Johnson (baseball)
    Jack Sharkey (boxing)
    Ed Wittmer (football)

Jeff
  • Options
    Thank you. I was just happy to come across them.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I've made some decent progress on this monster this year - and I thought it'd be fun to show them all together for once. At this point I have 17/48, which might not seem like much, but it's turned out to be quite an undertaking. Not only are some of these cards hard to find, but a few of them (that you'd need to complete the set) are unique - ie. there's only one known to exist. Anyways, thank you as always, for letting me share...

Jeff
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking Good image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thank you, Mike!
    Jeff
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    if you ever come across a duplicate of Hagen or Jones for your set let me know...you will have a buyer!

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Will do, Dave. Unfortunately, I think we both know - finding one of those cards for sale alone is rare image But I'll certainly let you know if I happen across more than one.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Great progress. The cards you picked up have really nice eye appeal.
  • Options

<< <i>Great progress. The cards you picked up have really nice eye appeal. >>

Thank you! I've lucked out and come across a few nice examples. And others (like the Cobb - an SGC 8), I just bit the bullet on, because I figured I would find a nicer one.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks to the Legendary Auction that ended last night - I was able to take a pretty major step towards my Rogers Peet set:

Thank you for letting me share.

Jeff
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you, Gary! I appreciate it. BTW - I took a look at your Ruth registry set - you've got a fantastic collection there!

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>... BTW - I took a look at your Ruth registry set - you've got a fantastic collection there! >>

Thanks, Jeff! Really appreciate it.
  • Options
    That Ruth is absolutely sick, congrats!!! But that Cobb is one of my favorites! Hopefully one day I'll own one
  • Options

<< <i>That Ruth is absolutely sick, congrats!!! But that Cobb is one of my favorites! Hopefully one day I'll own one >>

Thank you. And yes - the Cobb is definitely one of my favorites too.
    Jeff
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great add!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Thank you, sir!
    Jeff
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    edited October 17, 2016 12:52PM

sorry for dredging up an old thread, but curious as to anyone's thoughts on the exact story to how these cards were distributed?

the golfers are definitely some of the hardest cards to land in this set.

some eye candy for at least looking:

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one am glad you resurrected this thread. I have never seen these before and enjoyed viewing them. Was good to see "Lucky Lindy" and the various golfers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".