Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1618 Norway 4 skilling?

Hi Guys-

Another early hammered Unknown. I'm leaning toward Norway - And It's about the same size as a 1645 Denmark 4 skilling I have. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1618 Norway 4 skilling?
    >>

Where do you see "1618"? image

I don't get a Scandinavian feeling on that. But I don't know for sure what it is, either, beyond the fact that it's obviously European, and old. The style of the lettering makes it look 15th or 16th century. The way those arms are superimposed over a cross like that sort of reminds me of some of the coins from the Swiss Cantons. But I dunno. Wish I could read the legends better.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    On the obverse at about 11:00 I thought it was an "18". It said "1618" on the 2X2 when I bought it also.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    The crest in the second photo kinda-sorta resembles the crest on this Zeeland Duit that I got last year. It's a late 1700s issue, and I have no reference for pre-1850, (I got lucky IDing this one!) so I have no idea if the designs might be connected.

Sorry for the lousy scan. The date is pretty much gone on mine, but it kind of looks like it might have been 1786. I have it listed as such but I'm really just guessing.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It reads more like 1518 to me than 1618...
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a piece from the Rhineland or Low Countries to me, but this is just a guess. It says 'Moneta' on the reverse as well...
  • Options
    I have a bunch of Unidentified hammered silver coins like this one... I was thinking about sending them all in to NGC or ANACS.

I know most of them wouldnt get any grade - but at least they come back identified in the "body bag"

• Options
    Finally acquired the proper reference for this piece.

Denmark-Malmo, 1 Sosling, struck 1524-1528. This one most likely dates (15)27.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ID!

Would this be the same type? It looks to be the same to me-
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll be. It WAS Scandinavian (-ish) all along. I eat my words.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Same type, date looks to be 1524.