Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1877-go mexican 8 reales cap and rays

(sorry about the huge photos) i picked up this for $309 (incl. shipping). how did i do?

can anyone point to a good source on these coins for their values? i have seen other dates/mints in this grade for more...but i can't seem to find a good resource for the values by date, mint, and grade.

i know i shouldn't have bought it without knowing that...but i just really liked the look of this coin and I set my max bid at $311 based on what little information i was able to find. somehow, i did not get outbid which tells me that i might have over paid...but i am excited about this coin and i can't wait to see it in hand.

all comments (good, bad, + ugly) are welcome.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have Dunigan's book handy to see if it's a scarcer date, but the later MS62's in PCGS plastic have been selling for around $250-$300 so I can't say you got a steal, more like a solid price for a very eye appealing piece. Love the toning on this one image
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also going to say that there was at least another person willing to pay 300+ for that coin, so that should tell you something.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an eyepopper.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Heritage has one MS61 (1877) and one MS62 (1878) in their monthly auction right now, but they are not nearly as nicely toned as yours.
    Paul
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very appealing regardless of price comparable.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭
    I like the colors and the coin itself.

Pricing mexican 8 reales cap and rays has become quite challenging over the past year. First, the 1877 GO is a common date, readily available in mint state with 62 being the most popular grade.
    Second, for some pricing history, in March of 2011 common date mint state coins in ms62 were commanding $250 to $325 ++ with high demand and an uptrending arrow. Since, the market has cooled off a bit with a lot of coins getting graded and flooding the market and prices for common date ms 62 have declined to the $175 - $300 range. The good news, nice eye appealing coins still require a premium.

Currently, a guide for values is not available. The values and populations have moved quite a bit over the last three years, tough to keep up with and predict. Best recommendation is ask an expert on the boards or find a dealer you can trust.

Overall, I think you did good, the coin seems to have good eye appeal.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is pretty....but I think all the cap and ray series have softened....maybe because of the Chinese demand softening?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Nice 8R. The toning on the reverse is especially nice, and you did OK on the price.