Home Sports Talk
Options

Re the 49rs loss today: How likely is it that fans will turn on Alex Smith...........

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
.............. given that he had a so-so day and did not pull out a miracle comeback victory like he did last week against the Saints?

Fans can be very fickle and I suspect that many will be of the opinion that SF needs to dump Smith and find a new quarterback. Not that doing so would make any sense at all given the great year he had after a bad run with the team with multiple coaches and O-coordinators.

Wish SF had won the game, as a Patriots v. Giants Superbowl does not interest me as much as if a team from outside of the Northeast were playing in the game.

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Alex Smith earned a free pass this week after what he did last week. He'll be re-signed because there isn't a viable replacement for him at this time. Colts are set on Andrew Luck and Drew Brees has a 99.999999% chance of staying in New Orleans. Colin Kaepernick is still several years away from being an NFL starter.

Yes Alex Smith sucked for most of the game but those two TD's to Vernon Davis is enough to take the heat off of him.

I know many others will disagree with me but Alex Smith is still a bust. That'll change when he leads his team to a Super Bowl win. Aaron Rodgers has won a Super Bowl and so has Eli Manning. Smith didn't have a winning season until this year.

Kyle Williams is currently the most hated man in Northern California. If the Giants win the Super Bowl they need to save a ring for Mr. Williams.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the fickle fans will turn on him. He was stuck on a bad team and had a new offensive coordinator every year. Now that he has some talent around him, he is the real deal.

Facing the Giants pass rush has made a lot of QB's look bad. I'll bet Brady has some problems in two weeks.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    For now Alex can tell his detractors to look at what the Giants did to Aaron Rogers.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny how 1 game can make or break what people are thinking about a QB, after the Saints game there was talk of Alex Smith turning into a "Big Time" QB, I said I thought he had a career game and he did. Alex Smith is a good versatile QB meaning he can run well but he is horrible throwing on the run, he is not and more than likely will not ever be an elite QB.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't see how any Niners fan, even the dumbest, can turn on or blame Smith for yesterday's loss. If somebody needs to be blamed for the loss, it would be Kyle Williams
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't see how any Niners fan, even the dumbest, can turn on or blame Smith for yesterday's loss. If somebody needs to be blamed for the loss, it would be Kyle Williams >>

Totally agree Matt
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I agree as well. If my Saints had been so fortunate to have gotten two gifts from Mr. Williams last week, then Alex Smith would never have pulled off any heroics. It was a gritty defensive battle that came down to mistakes. Williams made two of them that were unfixable.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alex Smith earned a free pass this week after what he did last week. He'll be re-signed because there isn't a viable replacement for him at this time. Colts are set on Andrew Luck and Drew Brees has a 99.999999% chance of staying in New Orleans. Colin Kaepernick is still several years away from being an NFL starter.

Yes Alex Smith sucked for most of the game but those two TD's to Vernon Davis is enough to take the heat off of him.

I know many others will disagree with me but Alex Smith is still a bust. That'll change when he leads his team to a Super Bowl win. Aaron Rodgers has won a Super Bowl and so has Eli Manning. Smith didn't have a winning season until this year.

Kyle Williams is currently the most hated man in Northern California. If the Giants win the Super Bowl they need to save a ring for Mr. Williams. >>

Like Norwood's 1990 ring? image
  • Options

<< <i>I can't see how any Niners fan, even the dumbest, can turn on or blame Smith for yesterday's loss. If somebody needs to be blamed for the loss, it would be Kyle Williams >>

I agree. Despite Smith's poor play in the second half the 49ers were still in contention and never trailed by more than 3 points. The first Kyle Williams turnover was painful but the second one, in sudden death overtime and in the opponent's Red Zone, was fatal.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I knew something bad was going to happen when Vernon Davis...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Regarding Vernon Davis climbing up onto a wall (or other structure) after scoring a touchdown to pose, preen, primp and draw attention to himself:

I just do not get it. He scored a touchdown early in the game giving his team a 7-0 lead. BIG DEAL. There was a whole lot of football left to be played. It is not like his touchdown was the first touchdown ever scored in a professional football game. His conduct resulted in a penalty which hurt his team.

What is it that causes so many athletes [and frankly people in other fields of human endeavor] to want to publicly show themselves off???? It seems like so many of these people are acting like little kids communicating with words and actions "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME".

• Options
    The Vernon Davis TD celebration penalty was crap, crap mandated by an overly sensitive and overbearing league front office. If consistent enforcement was the goal then every Lambeau Leap would be at 15-yard penalty. A half-hearted Lambeau Leap is much worse than anything Vernon Davis did.
  • Options
    I much prefer athletes [and other persons who "perform" (i.e. singers, musicians, actors, lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc.)] who impress me with their performances instead of those who boast about how great they are [Muhamad Ali is an exception however].

In basketball John Havlicheck, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dr. J, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, MJ, Tim Duncan, etc. were studs, knew they were studs and demonstrated their skills on the floor. Everyone knew how great they were/are. None of them did or said the "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" rountine.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I continue to maintain that Alex Smith has an average skill set. Fortunately OK in the NFL at the QB position gets you paid. He will have his moments in the sun but average is what he is and to expect more is sort of unfair. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

I generally agree, but one great finish a week ago doesn't undo a season of evidence -- even though the 2011 Alex Smith was clearly much better than previous editions. Alex Smith is NOT the answer.

The 49ers stink in the red zone. They're lousy on 3rd down. Basically, in situations where the defense is forcing Alex Smith to beat you, the Niners offense sputters.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen trying to pass on the run. Every time he escaped the pocket and rolled to the right I yelled at him to RUN because I knew he'd either throw the ball away incomplete or not even come close to his target. He was decent in the pocket but worse than horrible throwing on the run.

Still, Smith deserves credit for not making big mistakes or terrible decisions. The offense had no turnovers so he "managed" the game reasonably well. And if one insists on a scapegoat, it's clearly the man who committed two turnovers, not a QB who threw only 12-for-26 and under 200 yards (but with 2 TD and no INT).

In years past I thought Smith was a much better QB than he was showing for a number of reasons -- ineffective coaching, lack of a supporting cast, et cetera. Those have largely been addressed, and Smith was much better this year. But I think this may be his ceiling.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Kyle Williams..........

he's the goat that's all.

they could have won but if they did they shouldn't have.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Vernon Davis TD celebration penalty was crap, crap mandated by an overly sensitive and overbearing league front office. If consistent enforcement was the goal then every Lambeau Leap would be at 15-yard penalty. A half-hearted Lambeau Leap is much worse than anything Vernon Davis did. >>

The Lambeau Leap is specifically excluded from the rule that Davis violated.

Tabe
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Alex Smith has turned the corner. It's not like the guy has all-world talent around him. Who are his stud WRs again? Oh wait, NO ONE. You've got Michael Crabtree, who has proven himself to be average. After him, there's not a single guy on the roster with more than 20 catches other than Vernon Davis. So he's got nothing to work with other than Davis. Give him a stud WR or a comfort blanket like Wes Welker and you'll see much better results.

Tabe
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    ^ +1