Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Taler Roundup from NYC Show

Finally received all in hand and imaged. Ended up being a very productive show for me. Listed by order of importance for my set. Forgive my repost of a couple, yet thought I would share in a single thread.

1) Austria, Holy Roman Empire. Archduke Ferdinand II (1564-95) Double Taler. TRULY RARE.
Hall mint. Posthumous issue.
Davenport 8120.
NGC graded AU 55, lightly toned. Never thought I would own one!

2) Salzburg. Hieronymus. Count Von Colloredo-Waldsee (1772-1803) Taler.
Davenport 1263
NGC MS-65. Scarce in such grade. Superb coin.

3) 1857-A Emperor Franz Joseph Double Taler Vienna-Trieste Railway - see write up - 1857-A Double Thaler

Mere mintage of 1,644. Grade: NGC MS-62. Scarce type with a very low total mintage of which a few have survived in this select quality.

4) 1721 Charles VI Taler - very neat piece. Upgrade for me.

5) 1743-KB Maria Theresia Taler. Scarcer mint. Cruder strikes compared with the Hall Mint strikes. My first of this type.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I still like the one with the choo-choo on it, but that Madonna reverse isn't all that bad either.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular as always Zohar. What makes the Ferdinand II so rare? Is it just attrition, low mintage, a combination of both, or something above my knowledge level? You say Posthumus issue...when does that place it? It looks more like the style of the Charles VI, perhaps slightly less refined. I suppose what I'm getting at is, was it immediate or later after his death?

I think I like the Franz Joseph issue the most. That's really early in the mechanical vehicle era- is that the first coin (or token) to ever depict a train?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy - thanks for the questions which I will try and answer.

Ferdinand: Double Taler, Post death, I believe around 1601. Lower mintage, head facing left which is not common. Based on Moser/Tursky reference 310/308 die type makes it scarcer. See reference to another similar type - LINK

Re trains - I really liked the piece myself given the historical significance, "choo choo" design and went after it even though its 19th century. I doubt this is the first coin to depict a train given that it existed prior. Here is a medal from 1844 with a similar theme - image

Cheers,

Z
  • Options
    The 1721 is in a shockingly good state of preservation. What is the story behind that coin?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    Fountainhead - thanks. Not much behind this one other than a different younger bust of Charles VI (Habsburg emperor). Took me a while to find an MS piece of the type. You can see the evolution of Charles VI bust designs in my set (signature line) which is ordered by ruler/date of the dynasty.
  • Options
    Do we know the story? Was it a presentation piece to one of Chuck's minions? Was it lost in a cabinet soon after minting?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    I wish I did know. Likely to have been passed along royalty over the centuries.

When looking at some of the 16-17th century materials it is even difficult to understand how these survived in such condition.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I did know. Likely to have been passed along royalty over the centuries.

When looking at some of the 16-17th century materials it is even difficult to understand how these survived in such condition.

>>

I would assume that talers are excellent candidates for hoarding, and valuable coins.

Spectacular my dear Zohar, a productive show indeed!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great additions, Z! That Salzburg is stunning image
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all very nice. but, i especially like #2 and #4. wow!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT and a note I love those two Salzburg Talers - what can I say image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply! I know nothing or next to nothing, everytime I read one of your threads I learn something new. That medal is very nice as well!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4) 1721 Charles VI Taler - very neat piece. Upgrade for me.

>>

This is by far my favourite in that lot. It is simply amazing. I usually hate it when people quote the OP pictures in their response, but this one is too nice not to see again on the same page image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great writeup Zohar. I will go against the popular sentiment and say that the tough #1 2 taler piece is my favorite. Very nice.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

As cool as these coins seem today, they must have seemed even cooler when they were struck. It doesn't surprise me that some were saved.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    A very impressive group, Z. The Salzburg is incredible.