Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Ever win a nice item for your Registry Set, but dont want to add it because

it kills your GPA?

that has happened to me twice recently. dont get me wrong, i am happy to own them. i just cant seem to bring myself to add em.

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Weighted GPA is much more important than GPA. Completion always, always trumps grade.

Especially towards the last 10% of a set, I'd rather have a placeholder of something graded than nothing at all.

Just my $0.02
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Forget the GPA. Get the cards you like. If you see a 5 that looks like an 8 and you think it is the bomb, then what do you care if you drop a little on GPA? You got a card you are super happy with and probably got it for 25% of what that 8 went for.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • interesting input so far, i appreciate it.

Here is one of the items i was speaking about:

there have been three graded by PSA so far, one PSA 1(MC) which belongs to the person with the #1 Set on the Registry, one PSA 3(unknown qualifier) on the pop report, and the one above.

Since Graig is not a HOFer, i am trying to stick to 8.5 or better. Of course i am glad to own this piece, but maybe i just need to get over the huge hit my GPA will take by adding it.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ask yourself this:

If your Nettles set continues, two or three years from now, will you be happier with

A) a 95% complete set at 8.5 or higher
    OR
    B) a 100% complete set that is largely 8.5 or higher, but best available for everything else.

Honestly, it may take you years and years to find a 1977 Venezuelan Nettles sticker that is better than PSA 2/3. So ultimately it is up to you and the way that you collect. For player set collectors, you cannot ever achieve completion if you have strict high grading standards. There's too many really rare, oddball, esoteric issues that will make it too difficult.

Have fun collecting!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Marc, and I'll also point out that everyone else collecting the Nettles Master Set is facing the same difficulty in finding that card in high grade that you are.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was stuck in 3rd place but was about equal to the top 2 guys. Then I had all my oddball low grade items added and my GPA dropped but I jumped to #2 with a fair chance at making it to the top spot.

Add your item and keep looking for a better one.

BTW that's the nicest looking "1" I have ever seen. What's wrong with it?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing paper loss on the back. In any case, it presents really well.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    My '63 set ranges from 5 to 9 all over the board, qualifiers too! Miscut, oc, pd,stained. Believe me adding the upgrade is FUN! Plus you get to sell the lesser grade to somebody else to help their set. Win Win Win!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

• << <i>I'm guessing paper loss on the back. In any case, it presents really well. >>

Yep, paper loss from being glued into a sticker book when released id guess.

Still going to have to get over my GPA OCD i suppose lol
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got totally $crewed on that grade. Here's a 1.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Joe - quit picking on my Killebrew. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Joe, i hear you on the 1 unfortunately paper loss is an automatic 1

but yea, the eye appeal is much nicer then a 1