Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP 1797 Penny Pattern

Last month was a good month for 1797 pennies for me, I picked up two proofs then a mint state example. This is one I picked up from the UK in December, really took a flyer on this one as it had poor images and was covered with gunk. After it arrived I soaked it several times in acetone (I think 4 or 5 trips total), it looked like several mixed layers of pvc and random gunk. This is the P1095 Bonzed Copper version, although Peck lists it only as very scarce it seems to me a little tougher than that. This is currently the only one graded at NGC, I had thought it would either come back excessive surface hairlines or thay might give it a 61, but it must have been a cloudy day since they gave it a PF63 BN.

The mirrors are really flashy on this example, the obverse fields are a lovely pale bronze and the rims and devices are brown with mint bronze remaining in the lettering, the reverse has more of the original branze color all over. I lit it with two lamps from top to bottom so the hairlines show up in the images, in hand it's really difficult to see them without a loupe.

Comments

• Options
    Well, now we know why George went mad. That hair went up his nose and tickled his brain.

Very nice, BTW!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice design- the beauty of collecting patterns is often the pattern that was not used is the more attractive design with more artist merit

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.