Home Sports Talk

Fausto Carmona arrested for false identity, discovered to be 3 years older than listed age.

jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
CBS Sports

According to multiple reports, Indians SP Fausto Carmona was arrested in the Dominican Republic on Thursday for using a false identity. His real name is apparently Roberto Hernandez Heredia, and he's 31 years old rather than his listed age of 28.

If Carmona's case is anything like that of Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly known as Leo Nunez), then he'll likely have trouble securing a new visa in time for the start of the regular season. Reports first surfaced of Oviedo's false identity in September, and he's just now wrapping up his legal battle. The added complication for Carmona is that he's also much older than originally thought. As a 28-year-old, he might have still had untapped upside. As a 31-year-old, he's most likely a finished product. Even at his best, he's only a marginal mixed-league option, and he has rarely been at his best over the years. Now that he's looking at less than a full season, he's clearly a player to leave for AL-only leagues.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed he was 41. This is somewhat shocking. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Danny Almonte thinks Fausto Carmona is a liar and a cheat.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    classic
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Albert Pujols hopes someone reseals this can of worms.

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Albert Pujols hopes someone reseals this can of worms.

image >>

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    hard to believe it went this long before the secret got out......heck, he's pitched for five years already.....you would have thought it would have come out a lot sooner....another looney saga that involves a Cleveland team.....the drive, the fumble, the shot, the decision, the visa