Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your Mexican Half Real (or other Mint)

Any Mexican Half Real collectors out there?

imageimage

Note: Edited Picture so its round and not oval.

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to collect half reales, but kept losing them (way too small!!!) image
  • Options
    I understand............no problem, just leaves more for me to enjoy and study. Btw, you have an excellent eye with your collection!

imageimage

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    very nice coins !
    what is the diameter / weight ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a few but no pictures.....they can come in surprisingly high grades ...like yours!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here's a couple that I have.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice examples BS collector! Andres, I measured a few diameters and found a range from .640"-.685" inches. Yes, they are very small. Will have to weigh later. Bidask, no problem without having pics.

I posted another. This one came from CRO......Photo courtesy CRO/Goodman:

imageimage

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Thanks 1Bustcollector. You have a very impressive collection.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might say the price was right on this one.

I dug it up during a detector outing.

I had dug a holed 1776 half-real on the same site the previous evening, so when I went out the next morning and dug this one within a few feet of where the first one had been, I was a happy camper indeed. That was a crackerjack site. They'd bulldozed an area behind an old church to make a parking lot for their buses, and the bare sandy area was chock full of early pottery sherds and other artifacts. It was plain to see there had been a late 18th/early 19th century house on the site prior to the church's establishment in 1859. Another detectorist had found an 1899 $5.00 gold piece on the site years before I visited it.

This particular one is the only piece of Spanish colonial silver I've found so far that wasn't holed. (So far I have found three half-reales, one 1-real, and a 2-reales piece.) The toning on it was acquired after more than a decade in my detector finds album. I found the coin in 1996 or so and cleaned it with electrolysis after finding it. It's retoned pretty nicely, I'd say.

PS- your coin in the OP is truly stunning. Some of the others posted thus far ain't too shabby, either.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    What a great story, Lordmarcovan! I need to take up your passion and follow those dusty trails.........The coin has retoned nicely as you say.

Ok, I'll post a lower grade, but a decent example I had purchased years ago for the fun of it. Enjoy.

imageimage

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this one as a free gift in a package I opened yesterday.

Free Spanish silver is nice enough, but the other coin in the package was awesome!

So... whaddya think? 1808? It's a Ferdie7, so that knocks off a lot of the other possibilities ending in "8".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.