Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pat Verbeek and Dave Andreychuk should be Hall of Famers by Now

Dave Andreychuk is statistically the best player not in the Hall of Fame 640 Goals (14th All-Time) and Pat Verbeek is the second greatest. Verbeek retired 10 years ago with 522 Goals and the only people ahead of him are Hockey Royalty. It is amazing that Andreychuk was passed over twice already with 640 Goals and Verbeek becomes forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Andreychuk is the all-time leader in PP goals, and has 70 more than Gretzky. image
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    And it's amazing that Andreychuk's OPC rookie is only $6 raw but tough for getting high grade.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I think Andreychuk will be in soon but not so much for Verbeek. I don't think Verbeek is HOF material.

Also, I agree with the above statement. Andreychuk is hard to find in a PSA 9 and a PSA 10 will cost you an arm and a leg (OK not really but for a $6 raw card it is very $$$)

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Verbeek? No way. Never even topped 90 pts in a season and averaged just 59 per 80 games for his career. A fine player, a former Red Wing and all that, but no.

Andreychuk definitely belongs.

Tabe
  • Options
    Pat Verbeek is the Eddie Murray of Hockey. Never Eye poping numbers but 522 Goals 1063 Points. If you are member of both the 500 Goal and 1000 Club it should be automatic. Only 18 Guys have 600 Goals and Andreychuk is one of them, it shouldn't take at least three tries for him to be a Hall of Famer. I bought his 1984 OPC probably a PSA 8 for $2 to get signed. He is very underrated. I bought Verbeek for $1 to get signed. 500 Goals is still impressive and anybody that gets 500 should be a Hall of Famer. 600 Goals and you should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
  • Options

<< <i>Pat Verbeek is the Eddie Murray of Hockey. Never Eye poping numbers but 522 Goals 1063 Points. >>

That's an insult to Eddie Murray. Pat Verbeek was a fine player, at times an excellent one. But it took him over 1400 games to get those 500 goals and 1000 points. His average season was 29 G, 30 A. If you think that's a HOFer, well... I think your standards are too low. There was never a time when Verbeek was considered a top 10 player, let alone a truly elite guy. Dave Taylor and Rod Brind'Amour both have more points (albeit with about 450 goals instead of 500) but nobody's clamoring for them to get in.

Tabe
  • Options
    Those guys don't have 500 Goals. 500 Goals is a rare feat. 42 Players have 500 Goals there is nobody going to join the 500 club for at least the next 3 or 4 years. Turgeon, Bonda, Verbeek, and Andreychuk are the only eligible members of the 500 club not in the Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    I watched Verbeek on a day to day basis for the better park of 8 years.
    I loved his toughness and leadership but he is not a HOFer. I would
    take puss boy Turgeon over him everyday all day and he isn't in.
    I bet if Verbeek played the most of his career in Detroit and got to
    the 500 mark he would be in..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    agreed, both should be in
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    If we are using 500 goals as an automatic HOF then Bondra should be in...and Bondra is not a HOFer

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    You have to look beyond just career stats when judging whether a player is HOF worthy or not. While Verbeek had a nice career, he's FAR from a HOF'er. The 500 goals is nice, but he'll always be on the outside looking in. Andreychuk, on the other hand, is worthy. I think he and Oates are two of the biggest oversights that will be corrected in the next year or so.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Those guys don't have 500 Goals. 500 Goals is a rare feat. 42 Players have 500 Goals there is nobody going to join the 500 club for at least the next 3 or 4 years. Turgeon, Bonda, Verbeek, and Andreychuk are the only eligible members of the 500 club not in the Hall of Fame. >>

Brind'Amour had 452 goals. Granted, that's not 500 but it's close. And 732 assists. So he had 70 fewer goals than Verbeek but 191 more assists, giving him 121 more career points in 60 more games. I think it's safe to say his stats are roughly equal to Verbeek. And no one's clamoring for him to get him.

Or the aforementioned Pierre Turgeon, he of 515 goals and 812 assists in 1294 games. Clearly a superior offensive player to Verbeek and good enough that the Islanders traded a future HOF'er (Pat LaFontaine) to get him. Is he a HOF'er? Maybe but I don't recall anyone describing him in those terms when he was actually playing. And he was better than Verbeek.

Tabe