45mm, 35 grams .925 silver
Mintage: 10,000
Obverse
The King of Thule
Relief by Einar Jonsson (1874-1954)
Reverse
Icelandic coat of arms
Artwork Baldvin Björnsson (1879-1945)
Commemorating the 1,000th anniversary of the Icelandic Althing (Icelandic Parliament).
Struck privately by the Saxon State Mint, Muldenhutten, Germany, at the instigation of a Parliamentary committee.
Under a law on the celebration of the millennium of the Althing in 1930 the government was permitted to issue a set of medals with embossed value. The law stipulated that the medals could be given validity as legal tender by a royal decree. This provision was never carried into effect.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Love it.
  • Options
    A real beauty! Thanks for sharing

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sumnom said. Some Nordic artwork, and Finland, for that matter, is incredible. Check out Finnish paper currency from the first half of the 20th century.
    My only question; what royal decree? However, so as not to appear too stupid, I looked up Icelandic history and much to my surprise, from 1918 to 1944, Iceland was a kingdom, with the king of Denmark as its sovereign.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked those coins since seeing them in a 1980's Krause catalogue. I bid on a 2kr once, but was outbid. But there are three coin sets out there, and they are really not that expensive considering the age and low mintages. Obviously more than a few were saved, a good thing because they are beautiful pieces.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check NEN's site--they have the whole set, apparently slabbed in MS65. Very cool in my opinion...just a LITTLE outside my official collecting interests...and for that money I can get some cool stuff inside my normal stuff image.

Cathy

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Check NEN's site--they have the whole set, apparently slabbed in MS65. Very cool in my opinion...just a LITTLE outside my official collecting interests...and for that money I can get some cool stuff inside my normal stuff image.

Cathy >>

It's a nice set and the pictures don't do justice to the gorgeous tone on the 10 Kronur piece. It's stunning in hand.

And NEN is great to work with. Especially their willingness to accept returns.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And NEN is great to work with. Especially their willingness to accept returns. >>

They are just too easy to buy from - dangerous for the bank account. But I have purchased many unusual items from them and am always pleased. It is nice doing business with a company that always strives to be the best. I will post my latest buys when I am done researching them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Santa Claus??? image
  • Options

I was the one who bought that set from NEN back in 2012 and yes Weiss ....The Ten Kronur is stunning and the Five Kronur is Stunning as well with the raised areas having a frosted appearance almost like a Cameo look ....Love this set.....never seen a better one

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fantastic set. But if it's the same set I had ordered and returned, I couldn't get past the planchet flaws and/or strikethrough on the reverse of the 2K.

There is something to be said for originality--especially on a short run like these. But it still bothered me after I lived with it. So I had to return it.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    It's a fantastic set. But if it's the same set I had ordered and returned, I couldn't get past the planchet flaws and/or strikethrough on the reverse of the 2K.

There is something to be said for originality--especially on a short run like these. But it still bothered me after I lived with it. So I had to return it.

It is the same set or at least the same 2 Kronur that you have pictured in your post above....A yes the planchet flaw does bother me as well but the 5 and 10 Kronur is by far the nicest ones I've seen in the last 17 years since I started collecting Icelandic coins. I'm hoping to come across a super looking 2 Kronur some day...But until then I have learned to live with it.

• Options

I forgot to mention that I picked up another 2 kronur last month from a dealer in the Boston area ...its in a PCGS holder and in MS-64 ...Its rather dark put its better then the other ones I've seen