Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has the decade old run-up of SC$'s reached its expected conclusion??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Beginning sometime around the turn of the Century there was a very noticeable increase in interest in Exonumia which seemed to coincide with the increased interest in Coins. Almost overnight So-Called Dollars came into their own. They seemed to be available everywhere, could be bought at realistic or even cheap prices, most listed issues showed up somewhere and the examples offered ran the entire gamut of grades from worn pocket pieces to Gem Unc/Proof. Heritage Auctions began a brief bi-annual auction dedicated to Exonumia and heavily influenced by SC$'s that lasted about 3-4 years and Stack's even seemed to increas what they generally had for sale in their auctions. Heck, even eBay added a seperate category for them!! As should be expected, a few books pertaining to medals were published with forum members leading the charge. It seemed sort of like Exonumic Heaven...........................for about seven years.

Almost as soon as they began the Heritage Auctions ended, the supply of Gems and difficult issues waned, realistic prices became a thing of the past and the legion of new, interested collector was left wanting. That's my take on things, myopic as it might seem. I managed to make quite a few acquaintances of like-minded collectors and added to my collection while things were rolling along. I even held the wolves at bay by selling some stuff when times were hard a few years ago. The problem is that for about a year or two I have found it almost impossible to find anything I really, really want to pony up for. All that I see is either impaired/low grade, too expensive or just too common. I guess what has taken place is sort of a "transfer of wealth" where collections sparked by the original Hibler-Kappen work of the early 1960's has been re-distributed as a result of this renewed interest.

Do you agree, or am I just off kilter a little?? Thanks in advance.

Al H.

image
image
image
image
image
image

Comments

  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno... I just got the prices realized from Jeff Shevlin's latest auction, and it seems that some people sure are willing to pony up for nice pieces.

    In terms of bargains, in the last week I bought a HK-507 (National Capital Sesquicentennial, in silver) for $13, and a HK-432 (West Gate Panama California Exposition) for $30.

    There's still stuff out there!
  • Options
    image >>



    ............image............Al ..this guy would scare my entire collection...!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1910 Brian Boru SC$1 too! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,198 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>image >>



    ............image............Al ..this guy would scare my entire collection...!!! >>



    Used to own a steel hub for that design. A very impressive paperweight!

    TD
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I dunno... I just got the prices realized from Jeff Shevlin's latest auction, and it seems that some people sure are willing to pony up for nice pieces.

    In terms of bargains, in the last week I bought a HK-507 (National Capital Sesquicentennial, in silver) for $13, and a HK-432 (West Gate Panama California Exposition) for $30.

    There's still stuff out there! >>



    Seems like several of Jeff's auction have brought good money.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Wow that viking is so cool looking!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

    Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    I'm not a collector of the SC$ but I tried really hard to find the silver version of this one and never found one for sale. Anyway, I'm new around here and just wanted to show of my only example.


    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/20110219img3497.jpg/]image[/URL]

    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/20110219img3498.jpg/]image[/URL]


    Still trying to figure this picture thing out....
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jonathan, i don't disagree about nice pieces still bringing buyers in, it's just that they don't seem to be offered with the frequency that they have been in the past. also, the two medals you mentioned are typical for what i see offered although the prices are a steal. i have followed some of Jeff's sales; he seems to have been selling his lesser medals via eBay but i missed his auction.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still see slabbed examples being offered at local shows, but not as many as in recent years. They are usually mint state examples of common pieces and are priced through the roof. Like most Sunday bourse dealer stock, they just seem to sit unsold for months on end.

    Like so many other numismatic specialties, So-Called Dollars are now being pursued by a small, wealthy group who only want the best and rarest pieces.

    When I collected SCDs in the mid-1980's the rarities and high grade pieces were nowhere to be seen. As you mention, there seems to have been a dispersion of major collections of SCDs in the very early 2000s. I suspect the dispersion was caused by an aging collector population who got started in the 1950's or early 1960's. I was just getting into collecting at that time and remember when the Hibbler-Kaplan book was published. Instead of increasing interest in the field it actually killed interest by using wildly inaccurate pricing for 1963. The original printing of the book hung around for about 20 years, not finally disappearing until the early 1980's.

    The dispersion of collections in the early 2000s brought new people into the field. Those new people who have not been impacted by the 2008 economic collapse continue to pursue the best. Those who were impacted by the 2008 debacle have dropped out.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I think that the prices got so high that those with "normal" budgets gave up trying. But there are still enough collectors with higher budgets that are willing to pay for the finest, rarest pieces.

    Because prices got so out of control and people paid big money, I think that the collections have been put away until the market returns, whenever that may be.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think that the prices got so high that those with "normal" budgets gave up trying. But there are still enough collectors with higher budgets that are willing to pay for the finest, rarest pieces.

    Because prices got so out of control and people paid big money, I think that the collections have been put away until the market returns, whenever that may be. >>



    I agree. I dabbled in SCD's for a while but the pricing got so crazy, I limited my purchases to only a few selected pieces that were of interest to me. I don't think I spent crazy money for anything, but some of the pieces I see in holders these days would take your breath away.

    For crazy money, I would just as soon buy a US coin than an SCD or token... just sayin. (and believe me, I enjoy SCD's - the older the better).

    “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

    My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because prices got so out of control and people paid big money

    i hate to say it and sound like a broken record, but i think part of the blame for those prices rests with the publisher's insistence that a Price Guide accompany the revised book.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only opportunity I get to see important SCD's (those with current ranking of R-6 or higher) anymore comes at major shows, where they typically only appear at tables of dealers who have chosen to dabble in them, and the prices are usually exotically optimistic simply because they don't have a handle on how thinly traded these are. It's called "fishing for a guppy".

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Jonathan, i don't disagree about nice pieces still bringing buyers in, it's just that they don't seem to be offered with the frequency that they have been in the past. also, the two medals you mentioned are typical for what i see offered although the prices are a steal. i have followed some of Jeff's sales; he seems to have been selling his lesser medals via eBay but i missed his auction. >>

    I guess I don't understand what you're going for, then. HK-432 is a pretty rare piece. I have records for 10 auction appearances of that piece, putting it in a tie for 527th rarest (out of 1379). John Raymond has records for 7 auction appearances, putting it in a tie for 644th (out of 1663) on his list.

    If that's not rare enough for you, then how about HK-368a? I bought one of those last month. I have record of zero auction appearances; John has record of 2 (938th place). That was one of the few pieces where we couldn't locate ANY specimen to get a picture for the second edition book, and we had to end up reusing a photocopy from the first edition.

    Prices are only out of control for the people who let them get out of control. These can still be had very reasonably, if you're patient!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    An HK-19 NGC M62PL just sold last week for $811. Granted, it brings alot to the table alot of SCD's don't...... .made for the Centennial Expo, made from .900 Nevada silver, 2,500 something minted. The 'SCD'-guy has one, NGC Unc Details, Improperly cleaned, for $395. There WAS an MS62, no PL on the 'bay for MONTHS, at over $1,500, I believe (well over a grand, anyway). To those that know SCD's (I don't), does the price on the NGC MS62PL ($811), is that high, middlin' or low...in other words, is that price an indicator, eitherway, for the series in general, or is that SCD a 'different' SCD, like the Proof Columbian Keets has shown (which I think is a spectacular design), which 'doesn't play by the same rules'???
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotSure, I've always considered HK-19 to be a condition rarity only. The great majority of the surviving silver composition have been impaired by amateurs who tried to "improve" them, or were carried long enough as pocket pieces to have sustained measurable wear. They're not hard to find if one doesn't mind owning one of sub-standard quality.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't understand what you're going for, then. HK-432 is a pretty rare piece.

    perhaps i mis-spoke regarding that issue, it's nothing i've ever looked at from an exhibition that holds little interest for me. your subsequent mention of recorded sales is interesting, though, since many medals i'm hoping to find that are supposed to be common don't seem to show up at all and others thought to be rare seem to routinely be available. that's part of the allure and i have issues that i buy every example i see for sale, usually less than one a year.

  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of rarities, a HK-154a (Columbian Exposition official medal, in aluminum) just sold on eBay for a bit over $2,200. The last sale I have on record was over a decade ago.

    An HK-19 that looks to have been maybe XF and cleaned just sold for $282.




    << <i>many medals i'm hoping to find that are supposed to be common don't seem to show up at all and others thought to be rare seem to routinely be available. >>

    Yep, on both counts! And some of the "common" ones sell for decent money, while some of the rare ones sell cheaply. Supply, demand...
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭


    << <i>NotSure, I've always considered HK-19 to be a condition rarity only. The great majority of the surviving silver composition have been impaired by amateurs who tried to "improve" them, or were carried long enough as pocket pieces to have sustained measurable wear. They're not hard to find if one doesn't mind owning one of sub-standard quality. >>



    So, in all reality, was that $811 a bargain, fair market...???? I just checked, 2,526 minted...any melted? As you said, impaired/sub-standard material seems commomplace foor the piece. Could/should that 62PL gonefor more, or do you think it'swhat the market is bearing? Thanks for your input, coindeuce!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Speaking of rarities, a HK-154a (Columbian Exposition official medal, in aluminum) just sold on eBay for a bit over $2,200. The last sale I have on record was over a decade ago... >>



    For what it's worth, I am fairly confident that items such as this are nothing more than Barber playing with dies at the mint. There are more than one odd metal variety that are known to have come out of his personal collection of various medals.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the recent Heritage FUN auction, I placed my maximum bid of $4,500 on a so-called-dollar,
    the most I've ever bid in any auction.

    It sold for $17,300.

  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>At the recent Heritage FUN auction, I placed my maximum bid of $4,500 on a so-called-dollar,
    the most I've ever bid in any auction.

    It sold for $17,300. >>

    It sold for almost that much, nearly twenty years ago. Safe bet that $4,500 wasn't going to land it today.

    July 31, 1993 -- $3,850
    January 7, 2012 -- 17,250

    In this case, the coin has a serial number, so there isn't a question about whether the two sales are comparable. It's exactly the same coin.

    Leshers always have sold for huge amounts.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>At the recent Heritage FUN auction, I placed my maximum bid of $4,500 on a so-called-dollar,
    the most I've ever bid in any auction.

    It sold for $17,300. >>

    It sold for almost that much, nearly twenty years ago. Safe bet that $4,500 wasn't going to land it today.

    July 31, 1993 -- $3,850
    January 7, 2012 -- 17,250

    In this case, the coin has a serial number, so there isn't a question about whether the two sales are comparable. It's exactly the same coin.

    Leshers always have sold for huge amounts. >>



    I remember at coin shows in the Denver area in the early 1970s, Leshers could be bought for $25 each. Most dealers would scoff at them: "that's not a US coin !".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't think the Lesher sold last week since it's available from the owner in Jonathan's link. as he said, those always sell for good money as many issues do, stuff like Manila Mint Opening medals, the Denver Mint Opening medal, etc. those are items which tend to have a Numismatic link which broadens the collector base chasing them, so in that regard they aren't the best choices to use either for or against market strength/availability.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file