Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

More power to you player collectors that self submit!

ive been going through some wax and factory sets the last few months trying to get an order together. Let me tell you, it's a jungle in there! LOL

it sure seems easier to buy the darn things already slabbed. But when you collect non-HOFers, they can be hard to find slabbed, especially modern cards.
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It's really hard with the Hall of Famers, too. Just look at all the weird, esoteric and otherwise uncommon cards in the Schmidt registry of which you participate. You can rely on 4SC or others to submit some of the more popular and mainstream sets, but there is very little demand for graded examples of the Fleer boxed sets, Topps All-star cards, sticker sets, etc.

I'm happy for all the submissions I've done for Schmidt, but I would never [ever] attempt a Master player set registry again.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to mention that when you finally find a card and submit it, it comes back three grades lower than you expected!image

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    You guys are both right. Hard enough to track down certain cards, THEN get the grade you want on them.

Those Fleer Boxed sets are hard enough to track down now, 20+ years later. Buying them online is a losing venture due to S&H. Finding them at shows is fun, but certainly not easy as most dealers dont want to lug that "crap" around with them. Many times ive had dealers tell me "oh, ive got tons of those back at home"
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased 300 raw 1963 Topps Baseball on eBay plus my second series cello unopened at a show and purchased the rest in PSA 7 or above on eBay. I have all I need , just waiting for PSA sale. Probably will end up 25th on current. Patience
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I'm trying to put together some OPC hockey cards to self-submit, but even seeing a scan of a supposedly "NM-M" card isn't a sure thing.
  • Options
    you are right there is very little ungraded vintage out there anymore thats worth submitting.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭

<< <i>you are right there is very little ungraded vintage out there anymore thats worth submitting. >>

I don't know if it's that so much, but living in Florida, pretty much the only place I'm going to find any OPC for sale is online--and I've gotten some pretty nice cards online, and at a reasonable price. That last factor, of course, is the tricky part--some dealers want to charge graded card prices for ungraded cards.
  • Options

<< <i>you are right there is very little ungraded vintage out there anymore thats worth submitting. >>

I would disagree, there are far more raw collectors out there that are sitting on more gradeable cards.

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I would disagree, there are far more raw collectors out there that are sitting on more gradeable cards.

Bob >>

I think you're both right.

There is lots of ungraded vintage in collections that is worth submitting, but there is not much left in the hands of dealers.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    went through about 10 of those 80's fleer boxed sets that was discussed earlier. a landmine for sure! lol