Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should PCGS allow for a permanent archive of owner-photo's associated with the Cert Number?

So we all know that when you get a coin TruViewed that the image is archived with the coin [forever].
But in the last decade of ever improving coin photography and weekend-warrior coin photographers,
would it be possible for PCGS to allow the owner of the coin to permanently archive a photo they took
of the coin into the PCGS Cert database...say for instance when you add a coin + image to your Registry
set?

While this is a revenue reducing idea for PCGS's TruView service, it also adds a permanent, lasting image
of what the coin looks like. Granted, there will be many less-then-stellar photographs taken by amateur
numismatic photographers, but on the other hand some images of coins will be magnificant. This would
also be a good idea for insurance purposes and the recovery of stolen coins!

Thoughts on this idea - board members, PCGS staff?

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    The most obvious concern from PCGS's perspective would be that PCGS would NOT know if the photograph attached to the PCGS certified coin is IN FACT an actual picture of that coin. As such, this would make the basis and value of the true view coin LESS accepted by the public IMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I also thought of that point, but subsequently forgot to add it!
    Add to that some people will inevitably accidentally (or otherwise) upload an image of a completely different date/denomination.

It seemed like a better idea in principal and theory than actuality!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now hold on, PCGS is not perfect either. The problem I have is that the coins shot for "plus" coins are less than stellar. Furthermore I find the use of our coins as photo documentation for coin facts files without credit to the owner (or serial number as the coin can be sold) is wrong. Granted, they offered us some sort of opportunity for us to send our coins in if WE pay THEM for the use!! That is bad public relations. It should be if they want our coins, they should be paying us.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I think, fwiw, that

1. The one that PAID for the truview should have a right to NOT allow PCGS to display the image but absent an affirmative representation of the submitter that PCGS SHOULD display the truview (i.e. this should be the default position))

&

2. That PCGS should CONSIDER allowing owners' photos only to the extent that THEY feel the photo is MORE representative of the coin than their truview

OR

3. In the case where no truview exists PCGS still (having seen the coin) feels that the image materially accurately represents the coin.

All that said, sounds like a big hassle for them but I feel #1 should DEFINITELY be implemented. Just because I paid someone for a pic doesn't mean I would want them to use it however THEY wish ad infinitum (although I'm sure the legalese in the truview TOS allows them to use it and the one paying for it has NO RECOURSE in this regard (typical onesidedness of companies - sorta making you sign your life away in waivers so your kids can play sports).

Purely from an asthetic point of view, they might not like the lack of consistency in the styles of pics if they DID allow owners pics (I know I might think it appeared less than "professional").
  • Options
    I am a lousy photographer, so I would love to see it happen. However, I don't think it will ever happen.