Home Sports Talk
Options

Does Manny Ramirez have anything left in the tank?

Do you think any team will give him a shot next season? I think he could still be a very useful DH for teams like Seattle or Baltimore. He wants to prove himself and go out in a positive way so I think he deserves a chance.

Comments

• Options
    I dont think he'll get a chance.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Manny Ramirez have anything left in the tank? >>

As long as he has some steroids left in his drawer.
  • Options
    I'd like to see one of the two (by far) worst teams in MLB offer him a sub-par contract - and we'll quickly find out just how serious he is about making a comeback. Something in the terms of the MLB minimum with incentives for games played, AB's, total bases, OPS and other quantitative stats. And in case you are undecided on who the two worst teams are – that would be the Oakland A's or the Houston Astros.

FWIW - I think he still can swing the bat - but he'd need some AB's to get his timing down. He was one of the top 3 right handed hitters over the last 20 years.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The Twins need him. I don't believe he uses any less drugs than the rest of them, so bring him in.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

Well, this picture is awesome. Manny Ramirez doing water aerobics with elderly women.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i> And in case you are undecided on who the two worst teams are – that would be the Oakland A's or the Houston Astros. >>

NL..no DH...never

A's ....if Finley still owned them
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, this picture is awesome. Manny Ramirez doing water aerobics with elderly women.

image >>

LOL he doesn't look happy. Probably something to do with shenanigans and the possible midget next to him.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i fear the orioles want to find out for themselves...
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I would welcome him back to Cleveland, we might need a little '95 magic as we enter the playoffs.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are talking about a 50 game suspension and him being over 40 when he gets to suit up for a game that counts, also under a microscope for peds.

The guy needs to think about moving on...
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He should have thought about all of this before he started taking the roids.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I don't care where he goes as long as the Red Sox are not going to take him back.

He is a cancer where ever he goes.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    He will play somewhere.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they still have senior leagues?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Perk,

I thought he was facing a 100 game suspension? Isn't this his second time being caught? I could be wrong about this and even if I am I wouldn't think any team would make a deal knowing he would be on the side lines for so long.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Perk,

I thought he was facing a 100 game suspension? Isn't this his second time being caught? I could be wrong about this and even if I am I wouldn't think any team would make a deal knowing he would be on the side lines for so long. >>

Yes, but apparently the union and MLB agreed to reduce it to 50.

USA Today story
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Manny doesn't deserve it, but some team will probably pick him up. I doubt it will be any of the teams in the bigger markets though. They don't need the distraction.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    A's signed him to a minor league deal today. If he's on the opening day roster he still has to serve his 40 game suspension. Does he have anything left in the tank? We'll find out in June.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    He wont offer much other than a Bat off the bench, I doubt he will do much either when he gets his AB's
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's a 50 game suspension. I think the A's organization are fools for giving this nutjob a shot. It's all about Manny, why don't they get that? If he gets brought up, the A's will rue the day they cut a deal with him.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I believe it's a 50 game suspension. I think the A's organization are fools for giving this nutjob a shot. It's all about Manny, why don't they get that? If he gets brought up, the A's will rue the day they cut a deal with him. >>

I think Beane's strategy with signing Manny is sound. At $500k, he's making a hair above league minimum and is hardly a hit on the financials. Plus, we all know that Beane's addicted to OBP, and Manny's OBP is typically north of .400.

If he sucks or causes problems, he gets released.

If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects.

If he does well and the A's are contending, then he was a bargain.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe it's a 50 game suspension. I think the A's organization are fools for giving this nutjob a shot. It's all about Manny, why don't they get that? If he gets brought up, the A's will rue the day they cut a deal with him. >>

I think Beane's strategy with signing Manny is sound. At $500k, he's making a hair above league minimum and is hardly a hit on the financials. Plus, we all know that Beane's addicted to OBP, and Manny's OBP is typically north of .400.

If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects.

If he does well and the A's are contending, then he was a bargain. >>

Agreed with everything you said EXCEPT "If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects"
  • Options
    he'll put up rob deer type of numbers
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed with everything you said EXCEPT "If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects" >>

The SF Giants dealt their #1 pitching prospect to the Mets to get 2 months worth of an injured Carlos Beltran. Anything's possible.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If he does well and the A's are contending, then he was a bargain. >>

Agreed with everything you said EXCEPT "If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects" >>

You never know. A team might feel like they're in contention but is in need of a bat to bolster their offense. Both ambition and desperation lead to strange decisions.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed with everything you said EXCEPT "If he does well and the A's suck, he gets dealt to a contender for good prospects" >>

The SF Giants dealt their #1 pitching prospect to the Mets to get 2 months worth of an injured Carlos Beltran. Anything's possible. >>

Some might disagree but I didn't feel any big loss sending Zach Wheeler away. Wheeler's numbers in the minors didn't make us think he was the next Timmy. Once Beltran recovered from his hand injury he had a hot bat and did produce. The biggest mistake was not re-signing Beltran, especially when locking him down cost the Cards a lot less than market estimates.

The Wheeler for Beltran trade remotely reminds me of the Freddy Sanchez for Tim Alderson trade. Giants fans were lamenting losing who they thought was the next Matt Cain. Suffice to say the Giants ultimately got the upper hand in that deal.
  • Options
    A's released Ramirez. He was hitting .302/.348/.349 in 17 games with AAA Sacramento. No power, but not wretched. Manny basically said "call me up or let me go", and Billy Beane said "OK, bye."

It's kinda weird to see the likes of Manny Ramirez and Vlad Guerrero standing in the unemployment line (so to speak).

• Options
    Manny is all done, he should have manned up, did his suspension and worked out rather than thinking he would show MLB who's boss and retire..