Home Sports Talk

Alabama: AWESOME game they should have never played

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
Imagine this:

1971 Nebraska-Oklahoma at Norman. Nebraska wins 35-31, and Oklahoma gets a rematch in the Orange Bowl with OU winning - hence taking the NC.

Something's wrong with that picture.

Were LSU and Alabama the two best teams in the country? Yes. Alabama had nothing to lose and could play the game footloose and fancy-free. LSU had everything to lose, and should have had to prove nothing against a vanquished foe. Alabama did not even win their division. If they were in another division and lost to LSU in the Championship game, I wouldn't be overjoyed.

All the more argument for a plus-1 or a 4-team playoff. Again, Alabama's defensive performance was in a word SICK.

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people mention Alabama not winning their division. That happens in college basketball, college baseball and college hockey all the time but we don't think less of the champion. The system is not perfect but no system is. Last night the two best teams played and one of them won. They not only won but they beat them down. There is no doubt who the champion is this year. It's not even debateable to me. If the game had been close LSU could at least debate the issue but not last night. It was a beat down.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild card teams make the World Series and Super Bowl. Butler played in the last two NCAA Basketball finals. If this game is supposed to be the two best teams most would say they got it right. Perhaps after the fact OSU (not the Buckeyes) would have made it a better game. In most tournaments or Playoffs it is known at the start of the season what you must do to get in. The NFL has a list of tiebreakers to get in if teams have similar records. The thing I like least is after the season is over those in charge simply pick the teams to play. Sometimes they are right on, sometimes they are not. Ohio State usually get a top bowl game because of their reputation and they travel well making their bowl game profitable. That is a poor way to choose bowl represenatives. There should be a system in place to get 8 teams into a tournament. That could be incorporated into the present bowls. There would still be unhappy teams who feel they are number 8 but are listed as number nine and don't get in. At least the top teams would have a chance on the field.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• << <i>Wild card teams make the World Series and Super Bowl. Butler played in the last two NCAA Basketball finals. If this game is supposed to be the two best teams most would say they got it right. Perhaps after the fact OSU (not the Buckeyes) would have made it a better game. In most tournaments or Playoffs it is known at the start of the season what you must do to get in. The NFL has a list of tiebreakers to get in if teams have similar records. The thing I like least is after the season is over those in charge simply pick the teams to play. Sometimes they are right on, sometimes they are not. Ohio State usually get a top bowl game because of their reputation and they travel well making their bowl game profitable. That is a poor way to choose bowl represenatives. There should be a system in place to get 8 teams into a tournament. That could be incorporated into the present bowls. There would still be unhappy teams who feel they are number 8 but are listed as number nine and don't get in. At least the top teams would have a chance on the field. >>

those teams make it to the finals because they are in playoff format thats all.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i don't think that Alabama had nothing to lose and could afford to play relaxed and loose.

i think they wanted to avenge their loss and show 'em who's #1

'Bama has some superior defensive stats and i think a great defense will always handle a good even great offense. LSU looked inept and frustrated.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wild card teams make the World Series and Super Bowl. Butler played in the last two NCAA Basketball finals. If this game is supposed to be the two best teams most would say they got it right. Perhaps after the fact OSU (not the Buckeyes) would have made it a better game. In most tournaments or Playoffs it is known at the start of the season what you must do to get in. The NFL has a list of tiebreakers to get in if teams have similar records. The thing I like least is after the season is over those in charge simply pick the teams to play. Sometimes they are right on, sometimes they are not. Ohio State usually get a top bowl game because of their reputation and they travel well making their bowl game profitable. That is a poor way to choose bowl represenatives. There should be a system in place to get 8 teams into a tournament. That could be incorporated into the present bowls. There would still be unhappy teams who feel they are number 8 but are listed as number nine and don't get in. At least the top teams would have a chance on the field. >>

College football has a different dynamic (unfortunately) than college basketball.

We'll agree to disagree, but most of the pressure was on LSU. They already proved themselves against this opponent. If Alabama has lost, they lost to the greatest team of the BCS era. When LSU lost, it was a 2007 Patriots-like season (not comparing the last-week Giants win to the 1st LSU-ALA game).

This was a huge lose-lose situation for the BCS in its current format. So we let Okla. State play, which was the next best option? Alabama was clearly the second best team in the BCS going into this game, but the whole thing just rang wrong with me.

Once again, all the more reason for a plus-1. That's all you need.

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    They need to play a third game to break the tie.
    Capecards
  • LSU had no business being ranked #1..

how can you call such a horrendous offense (no pass attempts over 20 yards!!!) a #1 team...

a very good defense made LSU look like an average HIGH SCHOOL team!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    LSU had no business being ranked #1..

Really? LSU DOMINATED their opponents for the most part. They beat the Rose Bowl Champ, the Orange Bowl Champ, the BCS National Champion, and a variety of other teams during the regular season. Who would you have proposed be ranked #1?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • west virginia could have beat LSU
  • LSU deserved their #1 ranking. They beat some great teams. But OSU deserved to play against them in the title game. Alabama had their shot at LSU(AT HOME) and failed. There should have been a split national championship. OSU got robbed. Nothing new though in college football.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So we let Okla. State play, which was the next best option? Alabama was clearly the second best team in the BCS going into this game, but the whole thing just rang wrong with me. >>

I wouldn't say they were "clearly" the second best. Oklahoma State had a higher strength of schedule, more wins, and won their conference.

Tabe

• << <i>west virginia could have beat LSU >>

9/24/11 in West Virginia
    LSU 47
    WV 21
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reason that game was not indicative of the fine season LSU had. However the way they played that night they would have lost to just about any above average team with a good defense.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    One should have expected a closer game in the Over-signers Bowl, but this time, Alabama made their FG's.

• << <i>One should have expected a closer game in the Over-signers Bowl, but this time, Alabama made their FG's. >>

over-signers bowl image
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

1964 Topps Football
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Hope Alabama is kicking on the short end of the field. Rematch in November 2012.
  • Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat Michigan!!!!!!!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the 1971 college football season and post season.

The Big 8 did a smack down on all other conferences that year with the final ranking being #1 - Nebraska, #2 Oklahoma and #3 Colorado. The first and only time a single conference took the top three spots in the final poll.

#1 Nebraska beat #2 Alabama 38-6 in the Orange Bowl. #3 Michigan lost to Stanford 13-12 in the Rose Bowl. #4 Oklahoma beat #5 Auburn 40-22 in the Sugar Bowl. #6 Colorado beat Houston 29-17 in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl.

With #2, #3 and #5 losing, Oklahoma moved to #2 and Colorado moved to #3 in the final poll.

During the regular season Colorado lost only to Nebraska and Oklahoma finishing the season 10-2. Oklahoma lost only to Nebraska finishing the season 11-1. Nebraska went undefeated, finishing the season 12-0 and #1 in the final poll.