Home Sports Talk
Options

Of the 8 remaining NFL playoff teams, what are the season opening odds of them winning the SuperBowl

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I suspect that the Packers had the best odds and that the Broncos had the worst odds.

Anyone here make any SuperBowl bets on the 8 remaining teams before the start of this season?

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Here's a list from July.

Green Bay Packers: 7/1
    New England Patriots: 7/1
    San Diego Chargers: 10/1
    Pittsburgh Steelers: 12/1
    Atlanta Falcons: 14/1
    Baltimore Ravens: 14/1
    Dallas Cowboys: 14/1
    New York Jets: 14/1
    Philadelphia Eagles: 15/1
    New Orleans Saints: 16/1
    Indianapolis Colts: 18/1
    New York Giants: 20/1
    Minnesota Vikings: 25/1
    Chicago Bears: 28/1
    Houston Texans: 30/1
    Detroit Lions: 35/1
    Kansas City Chiefs: 35/1
    San Francisco 49ers: 40/1
    St. Louis Rams: 45/1
    Miami Dolphins: 50/1
    Oakland Raiders: 50/1
    Tennessee Titans: 55/1
    Denver Broncos: 65/1
    Washington Redskins: 65/1
    Arizona Cardinals: 75/1
    Cleveland Browns: 75/1
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 75/1
    Seattle Seahawks: 75/1
    Cincinnati Bengals: 80/1
    Buffalo Bills: 125/1
    Carolina Panthers: 150/1
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the 49ers were given better odds than the Broncos. From last July's perspective I would've thought the 49ers odds would be just as bad as Denver's.

I remember during the preseason the 49ers ranked 26th in the power rankings. I don't remember where Denver was though.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm not that surprised by the 49ers...I've been saying for a couple years now that they are a QB away from contending. Not saying Alex Smith is the second coming, but he's played well enough to get them to a Super Bowl.

I am surprised that the Packers were 7/1...thought they'd be closer to 4/1....
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    To be honest I'm still very dubious about Alex Smith despite the team's 13-3 record this year. He reminds me of Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens: excellent defense that gives a dodgy quarterback just enough breathing room to win games with minimal scoring.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>To be honest I'm still very dubious about Alex Smith despite the team's 13-3 record this year. He reminds me of Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens: excellent defense that gives a dodgy quarterback just enough breathing room to win games with minimal scoring. >>

So... basically Saint Tebow? image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that of the top 12 teams on the odds list from July, 2011:

Green Bay Packers: 7/1
    New England Patriots: 7/1
    San Diego Chargers: 10/1
    Pittsburgh Steelers: 12/1
    Atlanta Falcons: 14/1
    Baltimore Ravens: 14/1
    Dallas Cowboys: 14/1
    New York Jets: 14/1
    Philadelphia Eagles: 15/1
    New Orleans Saints: 16/1
    Indianapolis Colts: 18/1
    New York Giants: 20/1

only seven of them made the playoffs [the Chargers, Cowgirlsimage, Jets, Eagles and Colts did not make it]. This is 58.3% accuracy rate by the oddsmakers.

I wonder if this in an anomoly and whether the track record of the oddsmakers is better than 58.3% in their July predictions before each new NFL season.

The seven teams in the top 12 that did make the playoffs [Green Bay 7/1, New England 7/1, Pittsburg 12/1, Atlanta 14/1, Baltimore 14/1, New Orleans 16/1 and New York Giants 20/1] average odds of 12.85/1.

Five of these seven teams are still in the playoffs, with three of them having 1st week byes.

The five teams out of the top 12 that did make the playoffs [Houston at 30/1, Detroit at 35/1, San Francisco at 40/1, Denver at 65/1 and Cincy at 80/1] average out at 50/1.

Three of these five teams are still in the playoffs, with one of them having a 1st week bye.

If Houston, New York, San Francisco and Denver beat Baltimore, Greenbay, New Orleans and New England respectively next weekend there is going to be some serious angst amongst the "houses" that took super bowl bets last July from bettors who picked Houston, New York, San Francisco or Denver to win the titleimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Why do people equate the Vegas odds with the books' expectations for each team? The lines are always adjustmed to account for teams that have "loose money" fans. Teams like the Yankees, Cowboys,Lakers, etc. often have their odds set lower because the books KNOW that fan money will still come in.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq