Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1959 Topps Spahn 31 vs 31 "3 obs"

Any idea why you never see a Spahn "born in 31" variation on ebay?? The higher grades (7 to 9 without qualifiers) are close in pop numbers to the "born in 31-3 obscure" even though there have been morer obscure garded overall. The "born in 31" has one more 9, 10 more 8's, 1 less 7.5 and 3 more 7's than the "obscure" variation where it is more populated on the lower grades with 20 more 4's, 15 more 5's 26 more 6's and 4 more 6.5s. You see obscure listings on Ebay all the time but hardly ever a born in 31. Is that just by luck or is there some reason the 31 is a tougher card than the pop report tends to suggest? I have a born in 31 in a 6 I raw subbed a few years ago and figured I would have upgraded to a 7 by now but that hasn't happened. I would love to get a 7 if anybody has one. Jeff
1959 Topps baseball registry (master and basic)
1980 Topps baseball registry (master and basic x 3)
1975 Topps baseball registry

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I do not collect graded cards but it was the toughest of the 3 for me to find. I assume the mistaken 21 was first, then it was blotched for some runs, and then finally corrected at the end in smaller quantities
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭
    The 31 is by far the hardest to find in high grade. The pop report is wrong in that the error was discovered after many Spahns had been graded. Thus many 8s could be 21, 31 or obsc. I also have been looking on e bay and with dealers for about 6 years and hve only seen about one or two for auction. And they are espensive. I have two sevens , but no 8s. Mariner or five niner may have one for you. Also I think less of them were printed. I think the error was caught very late, but because it was Spahn Topps felt something should be done., so they marked out the one the try to make it look like a three, but some higher up said ,,,youve got to be kidding..change it to 31. regardless of how many cards are left to be printed...Just my thought.
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Y'all got it backwards............Spahn was born in 1921. That is the correct variation.

The '31 was the error and caught early..........hense there is less of those, pop report not withstanding
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

<< <i>Y'all got it backwards............Spahn was born in 1921. That is the correct variation.

The '31 was the error and caught early..........hense there is less of those, pop report not withstanding >>

Good point. I often find myself backwards imageimage

Al
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I've got this one for sale. #29 on the '63 Registry (Watch out Mariner!). eBay Power seller and Top-Rated Seller. PM me if interested.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭
    You are right > I got it backwards. I meant 31 first, the scratch , then correct...and they probably did catch it fairly early. thus the difference in pop.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    3 obscured is not difficult to find however born in 31 is possibly the toghest card in the 59 set to find besides the H.Sullivan variation and Hanebrink with no trade .I have the 31 in a PSA 5.The best I could find.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Fiveniner,
    I have never heard of the other two variations or errors???

Tell me more please.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind.

I just did a google search and found them.

Wow that "i" on that sullivan is getting picky. I am guessing there isnt too much of a premium on that.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
    The 3d Sullivan is very tough but unlike the 3 Spahn variations is only a minor print defect, which like hundreds of other similar defects would be ignored but for the fact a 2nd Sullivan variation, likely another print defect, had been previously recognized. But now that they are "in the book", obsessive types...like Don and
    Tony...and me image, have to have them.

Not yet generally recognized, but more prominent than the missing Sullivan defect, is the Ramos (78) upper left front border irregularity. An overpriced one is and has been on ebay for some time, but the defect is recurring, although scarce, and can be found with an ongoing ebay search of Ramos cards.

Porterfield, 181, can also be found with and without a long errant green line along the list years...scarce and like all back only variations/defects tough to find

House 313 can be found with a botched T on the back in "Comolete"...tough for sam reasons

Card 317 Hitting Kings can be found, easily, with or without an "A" above their shoulders on the front

Drabowski 407 can be found , easily, with or without the white border at the top front extending into the pink.

All print defects, but actually more pronounced than the 3d Sullivan

Al
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    What Tony fiveniner said.....

....and, Al, you are so right. To everyone here, Al is a master of variations. He has come up with variations in many sets, 1959 included, that I never knew about. He knows more about variations that anyone I know in this hobby. Very impressive, Al.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What Tony fiveniner said.....

....and, Al, you are so right. To everyone here, Al is a master of variations. He has come up with variations in many sets, 1959 included, that I never knew about. He knows more about variations that anyone I know in this hobby. Very impressive, Al. >>

image Also there is an Early Wynn Variation Pitcher on some Pither on others if my memory serves me right.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    Right Tony. The Wynn can be found with the bottom portion of the i in pitcher missing on the front. It is fairly scarce print defect but can be found on ebay in decent scans

Al