Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Maximinus II Large Follis

I just got my first big follis, its of Maximinus II. Love the heft & art of it.

Whats funny is this has a die chip right under his nose, guess Max forgot his tissue paper when the engravers were sculpting? image

Maximinus II Daia (309 - 313 A.D.)

Silvered follis
O: GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAESAR; Laureate head right.
R:GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, right hand holding patera from which liquord flows; left a cornucopia., A in right field, •SM•SD• in exergue.
Serdica mint
28mm
10.7g
RIC VI 13b RCV 3754v (obverse inscription)

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Interesting follis, struck immediately after the abdication of Diocletian and Maximian and appointment of new Caesars ca 305-6. I didn't realize that this issue fully spelled out "Caesar" for the junior rulers. Also, this coin is just above the expected weight for the period which is very interesting. The silvering looks quite attractive on this piece, unlike most I've seen, so a very nice find for you!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually when I bought it I didnt notice the full caesar till I got the coin in-hand, on the site I got it from it had the Caes attribution, not Caesar.

The coin is a beauty in hand & the silvering matches near fullness like my Diocletian Ant., which is the coin on the right in my sig pic.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece- the full silvering is impressive.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.