Home Precious Metals

Seven years ago the US dollar index was at 81. Today it is at 81.

13»

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Dollar index 99.57 today..

And it's killing US exports/jobs. Look for intervention.

Dollar index at same level today as in March.

5 million job openings in March 2015.
    5.5 million job openings today.

Only hyperbole being killed.

"Truth in Reporting" jobs data is being killed. image

The best jobs now are within the government. Says everything you need to know about jobs.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best jobs now are within the government. Says everything you need to know about jobs.

If you really think that's true, maybe it says everything we need to know about you image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

If you really think that's true, maybe it says everything we need to know about you image

Hope so. It says I do my homework while you don't.

WSJ: The Sweet Gig of Being a Bureaucrat

"the average federal employee earned $84,153 in 2014—roughly 50% more than the average worker in the private economy. When you include benefits like health care and pensions, the average federal worker’s compensation rises to $119,934—nearly 80% higher than everyone else. “The federal government has become an elite island of secure and high-paid employment,” Mr. Edwards wrote, “separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope so. It says I do my homework while you don't.

WSJ: The Sweet Gig of Being a Bureaucrat

"the average federal employee earned $84,153 in 2014—roughly 50% more than the average worker in the private economy. When you include benefits like health care and pensions, the average federal worker’s compensation rises to $119,934—nearly 80% higher than everyone else. “The federal government has become an elite island of secure and high-paid employment,” Mr. Edwards wrote, “separated from the ocean of average Americans competing in the economy.”

But I thought all the jobs were part-time in restaurants and are all minimum wage?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I thought all the jobs were part-time in restaurants and are all minimum wage?

What's interesting is that you probably know the data and have analyzed it enough to know exactly what derryb is saying, yet you keep obfuscating. I don't understand why you do this.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Originally posted by: jmski52

What's interesting is that you probably know the data and have analyzed it enough to know exactly what derryb is saying, yet you keep obfuscating. I don't understand why you do this.

You guys birch and moan that the only jobs being created are low end restaurant jobs. Then you say the govt is creating all of high paying jobs. WTF?

All this started with me saying there are 500,000 more jobs available than 6 months ago.

You guys contradict yourselves at every turn. It's comical.

Originally posted by: jmski52

You guys birch and moan that the only jobs being created are low end restaurant jobs. Then you say the govt is creating all of high paying jobs. WTF?

All this started with me saying there are 500,000 more jobs available than 6 months ago.

You guys contradict yourselves at every turn. It's comical.

Well, at least you are consistent. image

fact remains that the average federal employee earned $84,153 in 2014—roughly 50% more than the average worker in the private economy.

Fact remains there are 5.5 million available jobs...a number that had been increasing for years.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are always a half a mil more jobs this time of year. Seasonal employment is a bad number to base a perm argument on there coho.
    Originally posted by: baseball
    Fact remains that "average" does not equal "best".

This is true. Dishwasher does not equal mega bank CEO. A couple of megabank CEO jobs does not mean everyone can have one.

On "average," research shows best jobs are now in government.

Fact remains there are 5.5 million available jobs...a number that had been increasing for years.

How many are full time with benefits?
    How many pay better than the entitlements that come with not working?

Bottom line according to the Wall Street Journal:

"The average federal worker’s compensation is worth $119,934, nearly 80% higher than the average in the private economy."

Unless the WSJ is distorting the facts as you choose to accuse them of doing, it appears government employment is without question a sweet gig. If you also choose to question my credibility because I simply poined out what the WSJ reported, so be it. Doing so, however, does not improve yours.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how one defines "best"... is the amount of pay the only thing that matters?

I'd get into a semantic discussion here, but it's not very fun, and "without question," not the "best" use of my time image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Originally posted by: DrBuster
    There are always a half a mil more jobs this time of year. Seasonal employment is a bad number to base a perm argument on there coho.

My figure is as of the end of Sept. image You should know by now that I am not one to exaggerate. image

How many are full time with benefits?
    How many pay better than the entitlements that come with not working?

So now benefits are an important topic? How come you never add benefits when saying how the average worker is making less now than "in the good old days"?

"The average federal worker’s compensation is worth $119,934, nearly 80% higher than the average in the private economy."

Unless the WSJ is distorting the facts as you choose to accuse them of doing, it appears government employment is without question a sweet gig. If you also choose to question my credibility because I simply poined out what the WSJ reported, so be it. Doing so, however, does not improve yours.

Yes derryb, govt workers probably do get paid too much, especially the exorbitant retirement benefits. Right? image

Yes derryb, govt workers probably do get paid too much, especially the exorbitant retirement benefits. Right? image

Like the WSJ said, the entire federal employee compensation package is 80% higher than that in the private sector. Retirement benefits are likely higher than the 80%.