Home Sports Talk
Options

How bad can the NFL refs get?

Watching them botch call after call in the Lions/Pack game. A coach is forced to use his 2 challenges on BS calls, then can't review an obvious TD. They are terrible!!! They should be taught not to anticipate, but ONLY to call what you ACTUALLY see. Ugh.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad rule and rough calls but the Lions have made way too many mental mistakes. Talent galore but not the sharpest tools in the shed. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also seems they are not calling "helmet to helmet" hits as much. Vikings rookie quarterback was drilled a couple of weeks ago VERY obvious................no call. Saw another in today's game against the Bears.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Bad rule and rough calls but the Lions have made way too many mental mistakes. Talent galore but not the sharpest tools in the shed. MJ >>

Their D is not good. Without Delmas, it's magnified. Ugh.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bad rule and rough calls but the Lions have made way too many mental mistakes. Talent galore but not the sharpest tools in the shed. MJ >>

Their D is not good. Without Delmas, it's magnified. Ugh. >>

When you have Stafford throw for 5TDS and 520 yards and Calvin goes for 244 and you still lose regardless of the calls you have deficiencies. The Lions are 10-6 for a reason. They have flaws just like the refs and the rules. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

When you have Stafford throw for 5TDS and 520 yards...MJ >>

Damn glass shoulderimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

When you have Stafford throw for 5TDS and 520 yards...MJ >>

Damn glass shoulderimage >>

5,000 yards and 41 TD's worth of glassimage

The future is bright. The ultimate prize just maybe not be this year.

MJ
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watching them botch call after call in the Lions/Pack game. A coach is forced to use his 2 challenges on BS calls, then can't review an obvious TD. They are terrible!!! They should be taught not to anticipate, but ONLY to call what you ACTUALLY see. Ugh. >>

Obviously Schwartz was wrong on one of those two challenges or he'd have gotten a third he could have used to challenge the blown TD call.

Still, as former NFL ref Mike Pereira said, the refs on the field blew that call; it was an easy call, and they blew it. The NFL needs to fix the rule that says all scoring plays are reviewed. It should be all potential scoring plays. This is one that should have been auto-reviewed if the rule were written correctly. Instead the refs blow the call and it ends up being a 4-pt swing in a 4-pt game.

Tabe
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    In the Lions Packers game there was also another obvious bad call when Green Bays punt returner called for a fair catch and lost control of the ball and fumbled and a Lion recovered but Green Bay retained the ball.WHY????Even though the Lions played awful defense they definetley got some bad calls on them that may have made a difference. There were 3 BIG Blown Calls for sure.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the Lions Packers game there was also another obvious bad call when Green Bays punt returner called for a fair catch and lost control of the ball and fumbled and a Lion recovered but Green Bay retained the ball.WHY????Even though the Lions played awful defense they definetley got some bad calls on them that may have made a difference. There were 3 BIG Blown Calls for sure. >>

i never saw that play fully. there was one where the lions player touched the ball first at the goal line and then a packer tried to pick it up but couldnt finally a packer fell on it. but if a kicking team member touches a punt first the receiving team can pick the ball up without the chance of losing it by not controling the ball. the ball would be the receiving teams ball at the point of first touching by the kicking team.

could you describe exactly what happened on that play you are talking about. i never saw it or any replay. i heard them talking about it on TV but never saw it.

as for the blown calls i would agree with the TD that was blown. the fumble by your TE was a bad one as well but you had that covered by the challenge (even though the ex-head of officals on FOX said that he thought the call could go either way as the play was really in continuation). the fumble on the KO was a tough one as i dont think the ref saw anything but the ball coming out and the replays werent clear. schwartz let emotions throw the flag and it cost him on the TD that was a bad call. the problem was solved when the packers threw and int almost right away. if he would have stayed calm (which seems to be a major problem for him as your center even had to calm him down) he might have thought twice about throwing the flag. but he lets them fly so fast that i dont think he gives anyone upstairs a chance to look at it to see if it is clear.

if the lions could play with more self control they probably would have won that game. another handful of personal fouls and that offsides by Suh that helped set up the winning score. though the packers had one series where they let the lions off the hook with a stupid flag that gave you a first down after a sack on third that would have forced Schawnz to either punt or go for fourth and long. i think they scored a TD later on that drive too. but your team and its coach needs to grow up a bit and control their emotions to get over the hump.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    He was speaking of Jordy Nelson's fair catch which he muffed/fumbled and the Lions recovered. I don't believe that it was reviewable but seen live it could have gone either way.

The Lions left a lot of points on the board with or without the calls. Suh's offside on 3rd and 3 on the last drive was just one of the dozens mental mistakes that this team has been making all year and has tried to overcome.

MJ
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Yep for sure those boys neeed to grow up and be men then they could be on the road to the Super Bowl in the near future.Talent is there but maturity is still somewhat lacking.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)