Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Playing with new camera

I just picked up the new Sony NEX C3 today and tried a couple of images to see how it does. The new version seems much more capable than the previous NEX 3 with a new 16.2 MP APS-C size sensor and several new goodies in the firmware including High Dynamic Range mode. This takes several images at different exposures then combines them to give an image with both highlights and dark areas properly exposed. I haven't fiddled with white balance or the in camera sharpening yet but these are by far the best images I have gotten of this particular coin.

The resolution appears very good with the simple 18-55 mm kit lens that came with it, and note that it has captured some very subtle dark blue tone around the rims that my previous camera would not pick up at all. For around $500 it seems quite a good camera system to me, I am going to try some bronze and copper tomorrow and see how it does with those.

Comments

• Options
    Damn fine without a macro lens. Very good color range. Better than buying a SLR?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice images, JCM!

By the way, HDR is a lot of fun. I've been doing HDR shots for a few years now. Doesn't really work for macro photography, since the range is not great, but amazing for nature and architecture photography.

Here's one I took last summer in North Carolina (Topsail Beach). A few weeks later the hurricane hit and the beach got pretty demolished.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Jeff.

I just bought my wife a Nikon L120 bridge camera for Xmass. Hopefully let me try it to see if its any good with coins.

Mind you I still like my trusty Canon Powershot A480. Some don't rate it but I take a few pictures and choose the best. i find natural sun light works best on most coins but my office (yellow) light works best with copper. I do need to play around with Photoshop to get the colour spot on as sometimes the coins seem a bit white washed.

I took these pictures 2 days ago for my site:

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Here's a try from this afternoon, the NEX shot is just about like it came from the camera, using program mode with auto Dynamic Range Optimization. The color is much more true to life in the image from the NEX. Below that is the image from an Olympus E-300.

Reveries, I do think I like this more than my DSLR, much more compact, this one has a flip live screen that goes vertical or horizontal for shooting from different angles. The only downside is right now the only Macro available for it is a 60mm. I'll probably wait a few months and see if anyone comes out with a Macro lens somewhere between 90-150mm.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC tabs are a good indication if the camera caught the white balance correctly. Great pictures!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I just bought my wife a Nikon L120 bridge camera for Xmass. Hopefully let me try it to see if its any good with coins. >>

The L120, and its earlier sibling, the L110, are the worst Nikons I've ever used -- and I've used just about every type, starting with a 30-year-old FM I still own. I bought an L110 for my wife last year and just sold it for a loss, primarily to be rid of it.

The main problem is that it's just way too hard to use because they automated a lot of features for amateurs and didn't include manual overrides for experienced shooters like me. Good luck trying to get decent results shooting coins, especially close up.

My D200 is 10x easier to handle, and can focus down to about 15" with the cheap (but sharp) 18-55 DX zoom.