Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonial Copper/coin Book(s) with die marriages - best reference?

I'm sure there are a handful of reference books and supplement material regarding Colonial Copper (along with Silver and Gold) die marriages.
Are there one or two reference books which encompass many of the more popular series and their die marriages - Fugio, Vermont, New York, Machin Mills, Connecticut, Rosa Americana, etc?
Or does each type have its own reference book for die marriages?

I'm just looking to add new reference material to my library image
I'm sure these books won't be cheap, but a nice list here would be great.

Happy New Year EVERYONE imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get Eric Newman's 'United States Fugio Copper Coinage of 1787' (2008)---it has nice color pics.
    I suspect that you will need a recent book for each copper series.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll get just one, need individuals...and they aren't cheap.

Carlotto on Vermonts.
    Newman on Fugios.
    Do get the Whitman book on colonials, it's a decent overview.
    The intro section from the Red Book.
    Get a reprint of Crosby -- Quarterman is probably best (not Durst).
    A lot of info is reprinted in auction catalogs and several of those are cheaper than the references. Ford, Picker, etc.
    Maris on New Jerseys, but even the decent reprints are crazy. There's a new one for these that's slipping my mind. There have been at least two other replacement books written for these, but they didn't get published.
    There are many more depending on what you want to include.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Walter Breen’s Complete Encyclopedia
    of U.S. and Colonial Coins.

Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and
    Early American Coins by Q David Bowers

The Early Coins of America by
    Sylvester S. Crosby.

I dont have any of these but Im sure they will be helpful.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks all image

Looks like I've got a lot of digging to do!

"Struck copies of Early American Coins" Richard D. Kenney
  • Options
    The Whitman Encyclopedia alone will get you about 80% of the way there -
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Whitman Encyclopedia alone will get you about 80% of the way there - >>

Yup, this is the way to go especially in the beginning. Almost all of the die varieties known for all colonial related coinage is listed and pictured. Though there are a few errors, omissions and switched pictures, overall it should give you a great reference especially with all the pieces in the same volume.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Been meaning to ask for a while. Anyone have an opinion on the recent Salmon book on Massachusetts silver?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Colonial Newsletter is available on searchable CD The Whitman Colonial
    book is fantastic but the price values shouldn't be taken as Gospel Truth Stone are you "being assimilated"? image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good answers posted...I'll only add that I consider the entire collection of Stack's Ford auction catalogs to be an invaluable reference for colonials.
  • Options
    Hi Aegis3

Chris Salmon's Book is a must have for Massachusetts Silver Collectors. I just recently updated my Noe designations with Salmon numbers. Over time, it will become the new standard IMO. The most recent addition of the C-4 Newsletter has a Noe-Salmon conversion table.

Best,

novacaesarea
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought the Whitman book and really like it.

Bowers has some good stories. Didn't know that Breen worked for Ford and they didn't like each other. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Bought the Whitman book and really like it.

Bowers has some good stories. Didn't know that Breen worked for Ford and they didn't like each other. image >>

The Whitman book also just arrived in my mailbox on Saturday.

Looking forward to sitting down with it someday...when I have time...to read it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file