Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think this Flying Eagle would grade?

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to buy this coin, but it is loose and I don't deal with them very often. It looks pretty nice and I am pretty sure it isn't fake, but what are your thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a coin that should be in a major TPG's slab, but isn't. Do you know why?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Could be cleaned and re-colored, could be AU+ to MS64 and anywhere in between.

I'd be very careful unless it's dirt cheap. image
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I can see from your images............looks very nice to me.image
  • Options
    What would you say is "dirt cheap" for this coin as it looks? Thanks
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be MS. Questionable but not unattractive color.
    Without bigger or better pics I don't want to hazard a guess as to what 'dirt cheap' would be.....I know I paid the cheap price of $130 for a nice raw AU flyer at a show that later slabbled MS 62 at PCGS and I sold for ~$400. Your coin appears to be even nicer, assuming it's original.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am suspicious of the color but it otherwise looks in nice shape.
    Lance.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Not a trace of luster but unc. details? I think it would net grade in the au55 area from the pic.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming there are NO problems with the coin that would keep it from grading (such as artificial color, tooling, altered surfaces, etc.), I would say it should grade at least ms63, probably ms64.

Be very wary though if this seller has other coins that are graded in PCGS and NGC slabs, why isn't this one?

That may be one huge clue that should make up your mind to purchase it or not.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    The price they are asking is in the mid $700's. I think it might be a bit of a gamble not knowing much about the coin. Of course if it graded in the 63 and higher range it would be well worth it I would guess. On another note, how do you put bigger pics in here? I have them in bigger size, but had to shrink them down for the 50kb limit for uploads. Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Assuming there are NO problems with the coin that would keep it from grading (such as artificial color, tooling, altered surfaces, etc.), I would say it should grade at least ms63, probably ms64.

Be very wary though if this seller has other coins that are graded in PCGS and NGC slabs, why isn't this one?

That may be one huge clue that should make up your mind to purchase it or not. >>

I agree the coin looks like a 63 or better, possibly this coin was sent in and returned in a genuine holder???
  • Options
    Most of his coins are sold loose, probably only about 10% are slabbed, fwiw.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this coin looks very familiar...is this from an eBay venue?

It has been floating around on the market for a very long time with nobody biting, spells problem to me.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Throw the dice. But I would check out the seller, is there a return policy? If there is a return policy and the seller has a reputation for being honest, then I don't see a problem.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The price they are asking is in the mid $700's. I think it might be a bit of a gamble not knowing much about the coin. Of course if it graded in the 63 and higher range it would be well worth it I would guess. On another note, how do you put bigger pics in here? I have them in bigger size, but had to shrink them down for the 50kb limit for uploads. Thanks. >>

Go to Photobucket or one of the other free picture hosting sites. Way esaier to use than the forum software.
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>The price they are asking is in the mid $700's. >>

Crazy. That's problem-free MS63 money. Tell then to get it into a PCGS MS63 holder and you'll pay $700. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The price they are asking is in the mid $700's. >>

Crazy. That's problem-free MS63 money. Tell then to get it into a PCGS MS63 holder and you'll pay $700. image >>

Yeah $700 is to high for a raw coin, if it were priced at half that you could take a look.
  • Options

<< <i>Throw the dice. But I would check out the seller, is there a return policy? If there is a return policy and the seller has a reputation for being honest, then I don't see a problem. >>

Seems like a poor gamble IMHO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $700?

Put your money back into your wallet and walk away.

The age of raw is over.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    It looks great...if the picture ws a bit larger than a grade could be given...color is really nice...!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    You're correct, it is on the bay. Here is the link:

Link

Any more thoughts?
  • Options

<< <i>

The age of raw is over. >>

I agree with the first part, I don't agree with the second.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with the first part, I don't agree with the second. >>

I agree too.

I love buying raw coins. That's where all the 'fun' is in this hobby.

Honestly, if there were only slabbed coins in this world, then I'd give up coin collecting.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider this one? NGC '57 FE MS61 for $550. Looks very nice, IMO.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Though hard to tell from the small images, I believe I count at least five pretty sizable chunks of carbon. And they LOOK ACTIVE!

The one just back from the neck on the eagle and the one above n of "one" on the reverse have a raised and sharp edged appearance. Could have received some form of surface treatment which has created areas of reactivity/instability. I'd have to see it in hand and I'd be very cautious - sure don't want to be the owner whent those areas have finished their progression and the color finishes changing.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$700?

I wish more thought like you so us coin collectors had less competition.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>You're correct, it is on the bay. Here is the link:

Link

Any more thoughts?
    >>

Full MS63 money ($787 shipped) and raw. For less money you could have picked up this PCGS MS63 beauty: Teletrade
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has a fair amount of carbon.That would be
    enoughy to kill any dealimage
  • Options
    Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For less money you could have picked up this PCGS MS63 beauty: Teletrade >>

Thanks a bunch to everyone. This forum is great for newbies like myself to learn about the market so we don't waste money on things that aren't worth it. I'll have to keep my eye out for a good certified one, or a great deal to take a gamble on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file